We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Growing Veggies

Options
grace
grace Posts: 183 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
In an inner city terraced garden!

This year Im growing the usual Tomato plants and some sweet chillies, but I would like to be able to grow things for later in the year, some root vegetables maybe....can these be grown in containiers?

Grace
BOI Credit Card = Was £3500.00 Now £0.00
GE Capital Store Card= Was £1800.00 Now £0.00
GE Capital Store Card = Was 1300.00 Now £0.00
Credit Union Savings Now £200.00 :T

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've grown carrots and perpetual spinach very well in containers. Potatoes can be grown in dustbins and earthed up so you get a good crop. I tried courgettes in containers but the slugs got them all :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • HKP_2
    HKP_2 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Most veggies can be grown in containers. You just need big enough ones.
    Strawberries grow well and taste greeeeeaaaat!
    HKP
    Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No. Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No. Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What are the easiest vegs to grow? I have grown flowers and scubs in my garden and would want to grow veg in the allotment near by. What would you recommend. I don't want to grow something that needs constant attention all the time like Dhalias.. something that is easy to grow in the veg world like geraniums.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • rygon
    rygon Posts: 748 Forumite
    Options
    what about herbs...i grow mint and rosemary at the moment and am hoping to grow thyme, sage, oregano and basil on my window sill
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • grace
    Options
    I have a big pot of herbs, Rosemary (bought as a plant frome safeways for a pound 3 years ago) Thyme, Oregano, curly parsley and Lovage...I did have a Bronze Fennel but it flowered (they die after flowering)

I have grown Toms outside oin pots before and they did very well indeed....Im trying the chillis for the first time...Im tempted to give runner beans ago in the dustbin....I can get loads of well rotted horse muck as I know they are very greedy plants......green beans also freeze very well...
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I've grown tomatoes, peas, courgettes,strawberries, peppers,chives and chillis in pots. The peas never got into the house though, the children snacked on them when playing out.
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • treacle
    treacle Posts: 251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had my first proper year of growing veg last year at my new house. Not knowing anything i was told by a more experienced gardener - try lots of things and see what it is suited to the soil etc. I made no special efforts to water anything as my veg plot is a long way from the house. I had a great success with onions, potatoes, broad beans, beetroot, marrows and leeks. Carrots were a total failure but it may have been I planted seed too early so I'm trying again. Peas grew well but they take up a lot of room and need staking - and I didn't think the effort was worth for the end crop. Parsnips which stay in the ground for around 9 months also did well. I loved every minute and it was so rewarding. I'm triyg a few other things this year and swapping peas for mange tout which are supposed to be much better croppers.

Good luck and have fun!
  • CLARABEL
    CLARABEL Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    how can carrots be grown in pots please???
  • Aurora_emma
    Aurora_emma Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    a very deep pot?
    LMB: 2005 and got rid of £80k debt in 4 years (including getting mortgage down to 38k)
    Mortgage: 09/10: Now back up to £68k
    Ivy CC: 09/10 £5k
    Quidco:
    09/10: £2212.74 (since March 06)
  • grace
    Options
    I think you can get a carrot variety that will grow in a pot...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business