PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

bought with a friend and now have big problems

Just over a year ago, I bought a house in Dorset with a friend. The house we chose was a DIY disaster and we got some money off to do the work ourselves. I put £32k deposit and the rest has been split through a £200k mortgage with the monthly bills halved. We set up a trust deed, so if we were to sell, my deposit would come out first and the rest is split 50/50.

I use the house as a part-time home as my partner and I live in London during the week and every other weekend we come to the house with my son (who I have joint custody and lives in Dorset with his mum). So we are there 4 days out of a month.

The intention of buying the property was to do it up (as cheaply as possible) over five years and sell it with a profit, so we opted for a 5 year mortgage with penalties should it be paid back early. Problems have escalated over the year with the flatmate, who is now unhappy about the arrangement and wants to move out. Communication between us is now non-existant. I've looked at taking on the whole mortgage but the lenders have refused. They have offered me two thirds of the mortgage which is not enough to pay for the house, but we could buy a flat. This would mean selling the house and paying a redemption fee. As my flatmate has no money the fee would come out of my pocket.

Over the year my partner and I have completely decorated my son's room and we are soon to start our room. My flatmate on the other hand has a nasty habit of starting jobs but not finishing them, so we have a half built shed, a lounge with no wallpaper on as he ripped it off and a half finished door. While this wasn't a problem initially, he has now moved to the utility room that only needed a coat of paint and has completely stripped it out. The walls and ceiling will need replastering (which he wants to try out himself), a cupboard will need to be built to hide the pipes and shelves need to be put up. We are now deeply concerned as not only is the house not in a sellable state, but it is likely that the flatmate who has no experience of plastering will mess it up, or get bored and move to the next room. Again this will come out of my pocket as he is seriously in debt and is struggling to pay the mortgage. At any stage he can leave the house and stop paying the mortgage. To further my worries, my partner is about to give birth in 6 weeks.

I would really welcome any suggestions...

Comments

• Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You live there 4 days a month. Is the other bloke there the whole time?
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • F_T_Buyer
    F_T_Buyer Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Bite the bullet and sell.

And never ever buy with a friend. At uni I lived in two different houses and in each house there was always a good friend who was a nightmare to live with.

Oh, and all those sites advocating/encouraging buying with a friend make me feel sick!

Check out Halifax's new site: http://www.buyingyourfirsthome.co.uk/
  • ktm_hansi
    ktm_hansi Posts: 31 Forumite
    yes our flatmate lives there the whole time, which is one of the main reasons why we have no control over what he does with the house. In terms of selling, we would love to but due to the demolition site our flatmate has left the place it, he has now devalued it by so much that we will end up losing around £17k - £7k penalty fee for repaying the mortgage and upto £10k to sell it! This is also going to come out of my money as my flatmate has no equity in the house!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    God ktm, what a nightmare.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    You seem to be accepting that you will shoulder the burden of the redemption fees etc.

I would suggest seeing a mortgage broker to see if you could find enough of a mortgage to buy your friend out. Would you consider buying with your partner to increase the mortgage available to you.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • meanmachine_2
    meanmachine_2 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The lesser of two evils is to take a hit on the repayment charge and remortgage with a lender who is prepared to offer you a mortgage based on you and your partner's joint incomes.

Outline your incomes and outgoings and a broker on here might be able to offer advice.

The lesson is: never buy a house with a friend or stranger.
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    The lesson is: never buy a house with a friend or stranger.

The lesson is to draw up a contract that covers a breakdown in the relationship i.e. an independent third party to resolve disputes.
    ktm_hansi wrote:
    Again this will come out of my pocket as he is seriously in debt and is struggling to pay the mortgage.

What happens if he defaults?
  • ktm_hansi
    ktm_hansi Posts: 31 Forumite
    Thanks for all your advice - unfortunately we still have to pay the £7k redemption fee and my partner has her own mortgage on the place in London. The only option we have is to wait until her fixed mortgage is up in December and remortgage her place to raise the capital to buy pay the difference between the mortgage and what the mortgage company is offering. The flatmate will walk away with nothing! This based on if the house is still standing by then and that he hasn't walk off!
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've read this through a few times and, in the words of the song, there are more questions than answers. What was the agreement as far as the work to be done to the property? If the flatmate is bought out and "walks away with nothing" are they in agreement about this? (I can make a good argument that they shouldn't be.) Why isn't the flatmate liable for half the mortgage penalty fee? If this is a 50/50 deal and you have lost money, the flatmate should be coughing up half the loss. Then again, what does it say in the agreement? Have you each got mortgages on this property, or are you both paying half of one mortgage? Could you get their agreement to leave but you still pay the mortgage(s)? (dodgy I know)

Check with your partners mortgage company if they will do a re-mortgage without any, or too big, a penalty. A lot of lenders look favourably on existing borrowers extending mortgages.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • sophistica
    sophistica Posts: 233 Forumite
    Interesting. I have probably had far too much port, wine and brandy to make any sense of this but my question to you is why do anything other than the fact that you don't liek the other chap and you are not speaking. If you carry on paying and he carries on paying at the end of the term you will own the house outright and you can do what you like? Or if he defaults you can ask him to leave, draw up a legal severance, renovate the property (in your free time) and rent it out at a commercial rent to cover the mortgage????
    Ok finally got it...he wants to move out. Well he can't very easily can he? He is jointly and severally liable for the mortgage. Why don't you agree to do your original plan which is to do the place up, rent it out until the end of the mortgage term when you will either sell it or buy him out. Or you could do it up now and sell it an pay off the mortgage. Face it - if you can't stand the guy you can pay contractors and stay in a B&B at weekends.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure