Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Land Registry reports further house prices rise (up 1.7%)

Options
Bigger than I thought.

Green shoots anyone.

Comments

• Dan:_4
    Dan:_4 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Up 1.7% in a single month is MASSIVE.

This marks the end of the house price crash. It's been a good one, but sadly, has to come to an end.
  • Former_MSE_Guy
    Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 28 August 2009 at 11:06AM
    Options
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Property prices rose by 1.7% in England and Wales during July, according to the Land Registry index.

Typical values were up 1.7%, meaning the average property price is now £155,885. Prices are down by 11.7% compared to this time last year ..."

• Really2
    Really2 Posts: 12,397 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am fairly surprised to tell the truth.

It will go down at winter but will it ever go lower than the low of this year.:confused:

I was thinking 25%-35% but I think I may be wrong.
  • Harry_Powell
    Harry_Powell Posts: 2,089 Forumite
    Options
    Very interesting. I was wondering if Higher Asking prices would translate to higher sale prices and it certainly seems that way.
    "I can hear you whisperin', children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience, children. I'm coming to find you now." - Harry Powell, Night of the Hunter, 1955.
  • chucky
    chucky Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • thriftybabe
    Options
    Really2 wrote: »
    I am fairly surprised to tell the truth.

It will go down at winter but will it ever go lower than the low of this year.:confused:

I was thinking 25%-35% but I think I may be wrong.

i think things are moving as interest rates are so low and that is encouraging people to buy. There are also really great deals out there. In addition people think that they can pay a lot more debt when interest rates are so low. At the moment there are lower prices for house and lower interest rates. There may be lower prices in the future but interests are surely to go up. That is the only explanation I can offer otherwise I am also shocked! :confused:
  • mortgage_adviser_2
    Options
    In the months February 2009
    to May 2009, transaction
    volumes averaged 35,848
    transactions per month. This
    is a decrease from the same
    period last year, when sales
    volumes averaged 61,743.

Interesting
  • Really2
    Really2 Posts: 12,397 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    North and Wales doing the main gains by the look of it. But they did get hit the hardest.
  • inspector_monkfish
    Options
    Dan: wrote: »
    Up 1.7% in a single month is MASSIVE.

This marks the end of the house price crash. It's been a good one, but sadly, has to come to an end.

i think its just a matter of time before reality checks in, and prices come crashing off big time..
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • the_ash_and_the_oak
    Options
    not sure why any surprise here given that LR follows haliwide w a lagtime
    Prefer girls to money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts