MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Theo undercut Duncan's work at double pay?

Former_MSE_Natasha
Former_MSE_Natasha Posts: 672 Forumite
edited 18 August 2009 at 7:24PM in MoneySaving polls
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Theo undercut Duncan's work at double pay?

Colleagues Theo and Duncan work for a company where overtime's scarce and it often struggles to find people to cover. Duncan hears that extra work's available for one person and grabs it, negotiating himself triple time for the evening. When Theo hears about it he's miffed he didn't get in first, as he has a new baby so money's tight and he's always focused his cash on his family.
Should Theo undercut Duncan's work at double pay?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Yes of course he should.

Tough luck on Duncan if he went in with too high a bid.

That'll teach him to be too greedy.

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,736
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yeah he should. It's business after all and like most businesses they'll go for the cheaper offer. The only point I guess Duncan could still get the overtime on triple pay is if he is vastly better at his job than Theo, in which case he can demand a higher sum.

Duncan should expect a rift but if it's not too much of a problem in his eyes then go for it.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    or Duncan should get in first next time and enjoy the triple pay,given the precidence is set
  • Yes, he should go for it. :)
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No he shouldn't the cheapskate!! He should wait until overtime is offered again and then he should also do it for triple time. If he undercuts this time, the company is unlikely to offer triple time again as he is prepared to do it for less.

If money's tight he should go and get a better paid job or get a second one!!
  • Blobby8_2
    Blobby8_2 Posts: 2,009 Forumite
    "as he has a new baby so money's tight and he's always focused his cash on his family." So why do they struggle to find people to do overtime ?
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can't see why not, but it really depends. If it's going to sour his relationship with the other, then maybe it's best not to - remember, they still have to work together. If you're enough of a.. "toot".. in the workplace, then people can end up driving you out, which would be worse financially.

Morally though I don't see a huge problem assuming he's not in a worse situation.

(I half expected the question to be "Should Duncan give up his overtime and let Theo have it" - which also depends. You shouldn't let others take advantage of you, so it depends whether the other guy is like that, or is a nicer person.)
  • qetu1357
    qetu1357 Posts: 1,013
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    For consistency, can anyone who think Theo should undercut Duncan's pay please publish here what they do, how much they get paid and where they work?

Then any readers can contact their employer and uncut them!
  • Taffybiker
    Taffybiker Posts: 927 Forumite
    Duncan and Theo should agree to take turns when overtime becomes available. Everyone's a winner.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • spudz_2
    spudz_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    I agree with those who have said that Theo should wait till overtime is offered again and make sure he gets in first so that he can negotiate triple time as well. He needs to think long term not short term. Its okay undercutting Duncan now and getting the overtime at double time but that is then setting a precident and the company probably won't negotiate triple time with anyone again.:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure