Tips and Quick Questions on “How To Start Being Old Style”

Penelope_Penguin
Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 3 November 2011 at 5:47AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hello! Pink-winged and I have seen a recent increase in people starting threads asking how to get started in Old Style (OS). This thread will be a resource for people starting out in OS, giving them pointers where to start.

Take a look at these threads first:

Welcome to Old Style and Important Notices for Old Style – take a read of these to see what OS is all about. There are lots of tips on searching, which will help you to see if your question has been asked before.

Getting to Know You thread – meet other OSers and introduce yourself.

Quick Questions about OS thread – includes on page 1 a list of the other QQ threads.

Grocery thread – this is a sticky (will always be near the top of the front page of OS). There’s a new thread every month, starting around the 27th of the previous month. Posters here include their grocery budget for the month, and other posters give them hints and tips for sticking to it. This thread includes, on page 1, a list of money-saving recipes.

Flylady thread – posters encourage each other in keeping their homes clean and tidy. There’s a suggested list of weekly chores on page 1 (and a star system for completing the list) but you don’t have to follow this to be part of the thread. There’s a new thread every week, starting Sunday evening.

Menuplan thread – look at what other OSers are eating this week and post your own. There’s a new thread each week, starting on a Sunday. You can find tips on this thread Meal planning; how do you do it?

OS Daily thread – chat thread to talk about the ups and downs of your OS day. New thread started every morning.

The Great Declutter – get rid of stuff and your home will be much easier to clean.

Save Zillions on Cleaning Products thread.

OS Recipes Collection, Recipe Collection Thread , Complete Cooking Collection and Slow Cooker - the Recipe Collection

Storecupboard Essentials

OS Indexed Collection - lists of threads which come up more frequently, collected together by topic.

And for those starting Old Style as a single person -
Single Money Saver living on my own

Please join into one or more of these threads (or any others that take your fancy). If you have specific questions about starting out OS, or tips for new OSers, please post them here.

Penny. x

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Last edited by MSE Rose; 28 July 2009 at 6:45 PM..
:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Might be useful to have a pointer to the Complete Cooking Collection which I am still indexing, honestly.... :o
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I remember the "OS Starter Pack" thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=90713
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This seems a good idea, thanks. I've added this to my favs, i'm sure it will save me hours of searching.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    luxor4t wrote: »
    I remember the "OS Starter Pack" thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=90713

thanks for this link, luxor4t! Never seen it before :).
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    rosieben wrote: »
    Might be useful to have a pointer to the Complete Cooking Collection

Good point :T I've added a link to the full OS Indexed Collections ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    PenPen how about a link to your Complete Menu Plans thread? there are some really useful links in that one.

This thread is a great idea :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • abaxas
    abaxas Posts: 4,141 Forumite
    I'd assume, there must be a vinegar thread somewhere.

It's the staple of the OSers
  • Magpie.
    Magpie. Posts: 125 Forumite
    rosieben wrote: »
    PenPen how about a link to your Complete Menu Plans thread? there are some really useful links in that one.

This thread is a great idea :T

I haven't seen that before, excellent. Have bookmarked it for a good read through.
  • Hello All,

Following an unexpected redundancy about a month ago, I'm in the process of completely overhauling my lifestyle/habits to cut my expenditure to a minimum.

Basically, up until my redundancy I was fairly well paid and never thought too much about how much I spent on housekeeping (or much else to be honest). Over the last couple of weeks however, I've been reading lots of posts on MSE - this site is addictive - and am full of admiration for how people budget, plan and generally, make a little go a long way. It's also made me realize how poorly I measure up in comparison...

Anyway, whilst I no longer have the money, I do now have the time to learn from you all and try and change my habits for the better. Previously I often worked 12-14-16 hour days, which I used to justify my excessive shopping in M&S's foodstores.

I thought it would be a learning experience for me and anyone else who suddenly finds themselves in my position to document my adjustment in terms of developing oldstyle habits. Any tips and comments would be appreciated!!

Ok then... My household comprises me, my cat Twiglet and of course, the house itself (a modest terrace).

This week I set myself a budget of £25 for the housekeeping, which I thought should be more than adequate. However, a single trip to Sainsbury at the start of the week swallowed up nearly £20, and although I'd hoped it might last the week, I'm not sure if that's gonna happen!!
    List included the following:
    • 3x cans chopped tomatoes (basics range)
    • Felix Cat food (6x cans)
    • 2x Sainsbury individual cat food pouches
    • 2 pints semi-skimmed milk
    • 1x packet custard cream biscuits
    • 1x big tub coleslaw
    • 1x packet chicken fillets
    • 2x packs bacon (BOGOF)
    • 1x packet country soup mix
    • Fresh leeks, carrots and courgettes (basics)
    • 8x pack Activia yoghurts

Is that enough, I wonder?? I've already spent another 70p on a jar of olives!!!

I've never really kept a record, but I imagine that until now, I may have been spending £60+ per week on groceries. :eek: Consequently, I think I'm going to find sticking to a budget quite a challenge!!

I'll post progress throughout the week.
  • Oh, and I've just purchased a slow-cooker from Tesco for nine pounds and something, 'cos it seems they're really highly regarded by people on here. All I need to do now though is work out what best to cook in it lol..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure