Virus Help - Indian Deception -Beware

Options
I’ve pulled a couple of post links together here that are highlighting a nasty scam that I reckon deserves a heads up.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=18837689
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1613667

People are getting phone calls from people with names like “Kevin Watts” who happen to have heavy Indian accents who purport to be Microsoft or your ISP representatives.

These low lives are advising people that they have infected machines and to prove that they are to be trusted, employ techniques that would convince an average punter that their computer is about to self destruct.

Their script is is started by asking their victims to open several files and utilities such as Prefetch, event viewer and services and then they explain that Prefetch entries, exclamation marks or red crosses are virus activities.

Now the [STRIKE]cute[/STRIKE] nasty bit of deception –

They ask the now terrified punter to allow them to examine their computer remotely by logging into a website that redirects them to a remote rescue site which is a bone fide and above board remote technical assistance site that installs a small Java Applet to take over.

Once connected, the shisters confirm that the machine is infected by displaying alarming false scripts and ask for card details to extort a subscription.

This is a particularly cunning con since it aims to convince people that they are Microsoft or ISP experts by technical bluffing.

The remedy is fairly obvious – do not respond to any cold calls along these lines but above all never allow anybody to take over remote control of your computer unless you have specifically requested it and trust them implicitly.

In fact I believe that Remote Assistance (and Remote Desktop on XP Professional) should be disabled (Right click My Computer, Properties, Remote & Untick) even though this is not the means used in this scam.
"It's nice to be important but more important to be nice"

John Templeton 1912-2008

Comments

• Jaffa.
    Jaffa. Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2009 at 1:12PM
    Options
    Ha! Animals. "My name is Kevin Watts and we are based in Bradford" LOL! I hope they get caught.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Probably goes to funding terrorists, like a few other scams ive seen.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    who happen to have heavy Indian accents

How do you know it is not Pakistani or Bangladeshi accent?
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Quaint1
    Quaint1 Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    This scam got a mention on The Guardian Tech Weekly podcast this week - Charles Arthur of The Guardian is particularly keen to hear from anyone who has been affected by this, especially if they have any information about the company behind the scam - if you have a bank or credit card statement that lists a payment made to this company, he'd like to know so he can investigate further.
    email: [EMAIL="charles.arthur&#64;guardian.co.uk"]charles.arthur@guardian.co.uk[/EMAIL]

A friend, for whom I do the computer fixing, had one of these calls recently, and it took him a little while to twig that it was a scam as he had recently changed ISP and he thought it might have been something to do with that. The only thing (apart from his common sense kicking in eventually!) that prevented him going much further was the fact that his Broadband line hadn't been activated yet, so he did not have internet access - apparently the 'Indian' call center chap was somewhat put out at having wasted so much time!
    Au Res.,
    Paul
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone who phones you with as vague information as "I'm from your ISP" is clearly trying it on. Ok then, what ISP? What package am I on?

Why do people continue to fall for these scams?
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Cos theyre old or not computer literate.

I knew more than enough not to fall for it, but it was a reasonably convincing patter.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Options
    Surely old doesn't equal stupid/gullible?

And you don't need to be computer literate, just sensible.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • IM
    IM Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had one of these calls a while ago...

Went something alongthe lines of...

Caller: Hello Mr Badly Pronounced Approximation of My Surname

Me: It's <Correct pronunciation of my surname>

Caller: Hello Mr Badly Pronounced Approximation of My Surname, I am calling on behalf of the Windows Operating System

Me: Are you now?

Caller: Yes, and I need to inform you that your PC is infected with a virus

Me: No it's not

Caller: Er...yes it is.

Me: No it's not.

Caller: Waffles for a bit, tries to find the script for 'The mark is not a total fool'

Me: And how exactly would you know that my PC is infected?

Pause.....

Caller: F@#* off!

Brrrr.... (phone slammed down)
  • Anne_m_2
    Options
    Had one of these calls yesterday, said quick goodbye, so it seems they just wont go away, A friend of mine got caught, elderly lady new to computer aad parted with money, told it was £50, then told her they had taken £250 as it had to be for 5 years! She got her money back re credit card co, thank goodness.
  • Lil306
    Lil306 Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Best way, get PC savvy and stay away from people like this, gives the industry a bad name.
    I would probably take that approach, just keep saying no it isn't until they get the hint to go away :)
    Owner of andrewhope.co.uk, hate cars and love them

Working towards DFD

HSBC Credit Card - £2700 / £7500
    AA Loans - (cleared £9700)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business