Great 'Party for Profit' Hunt. How to make cash from party planning

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
edited 26 May 2009 at 5:58PM in Boost your income
Party planning is brilliant way to boost your income: you choose your hours, it fits in with kids and work, and can be fun. So we want to tap MoneySavers for their top tips on being a party consultant.

How does it work and which are the best firms, eg, Partylite, Body Shop at Home, Anne Summers. What are your tips for holding soirees and how much can you expect to earn? How can you make demonstrating the products fun?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Caroline73_2
    Caroline73_2 Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    I work with Usborne Books and I think it's great. We have the added advantage of being able to sell directly to schools/libraries as well as holding parties so we can make very large sales indeed!

At home parties I would expect to sell about £25 worth of books to each guest. The party hostess would receive 20% of all sales back in free books of her choice, Usborne pay for this not the Usborne rep. A new recruit would earn 24% on all sales, commission can rise up to 41% plus bonuses.

I make parties fun by having an Usborne board game for the children if they are there (daytime parties are very popular) and a pass the parcel game for mums, using a poem. Parents love seeing all our products, so I don't feel that I need to make the products fun, the products speak for themselves.

I do agree that it is a great way to boost your income, you can replace a full time income with time and work.
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Bottom line: have lots and lots of willing friends and relatives who'll buy stuff and hold parties.

Either that or be prepared to work your a*** off trying to get strangers to have parties.
  • Caroline73_2
    Caroline73_2 Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2009 at 8:32PM
    LizD wrote: »
    Bottom line: have lots and lots of willing friends and relatives who'll buy stuff and hold parties.

Either that or be prepared to work your a*** off trying to get strangers to have parties.

As I said, there are lots of avenues for sales rather than just parties. You do need to work at it but that goes for any job, doesn't it?

Maybe if you've experienced that you have just had the wrong product.
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 26 May 2009 at 10:03PM
    Yes, of course that's true, but the avenues depend on the company to a certain extent (I'm with Partylite). Not getting a lot out of it at the mo, but I'm not giving up yet.
  • tamsyn_2
    tamsyn_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    I'm with Usborne as well, but I don't do parties.

I sell at Toddler grops to parents and also directly to schools for teaching or the library. You earn less commission on school orders, but the orders are bigger meaning you get more money for not much work.

It's really easy and it fits in well around my husband's job - he's a postman - and the 3 kids.
  • I am with Neals Yard Home. It was only launched at the beginning of April but I find the reputation of the company goes before it and at the moment I am having no trouble getting parties.

However it is a job like anything else and to make money you have to earn it. If you believe in the product then that makes it easier.

I have another job, but love the challenge that party plan gives me. I also get 25% discount on the products, which I have always bought in the past, so that saves me money.:T
  • redl_2
    redl_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    I work for a spa skincare company called Temple Spa. It's party plan in essence. We call our parties classes, ladies receive individual skincare advice, give themselves a full facial whilst you talk about the products. I find it's more fun than just standing demonstrating products. TSPA is fairly new so I find people are willing to have parties as they've not been to one before.
  • If you want to work hours to fit around another job or your family, party planning is the way to go. You earn according to the work you put in - and there is always plenty of great training available. The beauty of working in direct sales is that people share ideas and tips, so that everyone can benefit; you can tap into one to one support and there are always regular meetings and opportunities to improve your personal skills and techniques. I represent Mini IQ, a range of children's books which make a difference - so I feel I'm doing a worthwhile job. The systems are tried and tested, so when you join a company, trust that you can follow their guidelines and it will work for you.
  • redl_2
    redl_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    It's the training and support offered by the company that helps you grow your business plus your own determination to succeed. With any business, you get back what you put in! Tell everyone about your new business venture. With Temple Spa, you earn up to 30% commission on sales - 4 classes a month is recommended as a min. 4 nights of not watching TV and getting out there, meeting people and earning!
  • I sell Usborne too and have been doing so for almost a year. Looking forward to my second Christmas - lots of fun parties and Christmas fairs etc, it fits perfectly round the kids (2&4) was nice to have some extra cash for Christmas last year whilst still being a stay at home mum - not to mention doing all my Christmas shopping for friends and relatives' children with a nice big discount!

The great thing with them is there is so little commitment required - I only gave it a go to get some cheap books for the kids - now I'm hooked!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure