is it ok to do this on ebay?

Options
hi guys, just some friendly advice needed please. I have been buying an item cheaply from my local high street and have been re=selling it on ebay for a small profit. to date I have nearly made £100. can anyone tell me, at what point do I become a business and therefore need to become a power seller? when do i need to declare this as an income and tell tax credits etc? I have bought /sold on ebay for about 3 yrs now but so far it has just been household/baby items, and we sold a car on there. now I am mainly selling this one item, there seems to be a demand so I expect in the future I may sell more..:confused:just wanna be a law abiding citizen so any advice appreciated :A

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,236 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are already a business as you are buying with the intention to sell on. You need tor egister both with HMRC and change your ebay aco!!!! to a business one.

Power seller status is not possible as to get that you need a high regular turnover or high number of sales on a month by month basis.

Your own private stuff, including the family car (if that is what is was) does not count as trading and does not need to be declared.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • veggies
    veggies Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    If you buy to sell you already are a business & therfore you need to register with the Tax people and change your ebay account over to a business one
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    as soon as you are selling items, you have bought specifically to sell-on for (possible) profit, then you are no longer a private seller, so you should have changed to a business seller as soon as you started doing this

all income should be declared for tax credit purposes

Flea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family