PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sowing your oats!!

Options
Hi everyone
Have been reading the fab book "We'll Eat Again" by Marguerite Patten that someone on the OS board recommended. One of the ideas I've taken from it are the multi purpose uses of oats.
I already used oat flakes for flapjacks and cereal [the value ones are excellent] but I also used them as a coating for my HM chicken nuggets I made at the weekend [whizzed together with wholemeal breadcrumbs]
During the war oatmeal was used for thickening soup, making meat go further [I believe Queenie's recipe for Scotch Mince follows a similar idea] and for mixing with herbs, meat and egg to make sausages.
They also pop up in Queenie's oatmeal scrub.................
Anymore ideas out there greatly received!! :j
Regards
Aril
Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use it as a crumble topping instead of flour.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I love that book :) The eggless choc cake is a life saver.The other two;The Victory Cookbook and The Postwar Kitchen are good too.

I use oatmeal(rather than rolled oats)to coat herrings with,fry in bacon fat(or oil).

I use rolled oats for flapjacks,in muffins and in oaty biscuits.I also add oatmeal to bread.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i put it in crumbles and also to thicken soups or stews sometimes. I also put it on bread as a topping.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    I also use it in loaves (even in the BM). I tend to buy rolled oats because if I need a finer 'oatmeal' I can quickly whizz the rolled (porridge) oats in the food processor to make them as fine as I need (with fine oatmeal, I can't whack that in the fp to make it bigger ;) )

If you think of the uses that you might put breadcrumbs to then you can usually sub with oatmeal (as mentioned above, to make a coating for frying fish/chicken/chops etc.)

As well as the soap, I also keep a leg of an old pair of tights in the bathroom with a handful of oats in it (I have dry skin) so when I run a bath, the water passes over the oatmeal stocking and steeps in the bathwater. I add some dried herbs/flowers too sometimes depending on whats available.

Oatmeal biscuits (hm) are another obvious use and great with a slice of brie :drool: More filling than a cracker and healthier than commercial biscuits, cheaper than store bought versions as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    Options
    thriftlady - I have the set too :D Have you noticed that the spines all co-ordinate to make the red/white and blue of the Union Jack? :D:D:D (don't ask me why I notice odd things like that, but I'm sure they really were designed that way :o )
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    I also use it in loaves (even in the BM). I tend to buy rolled oats because if I need a finer 'oatmeal' I can quickly whizz the rolled (porridge) oats in the food processor to make them as fine as I need (with fine oatmeal, I can't whack that in the fp to make it bigger ;) )
    Great tip Queenie,thanks.I'm sure oatmeal is more expensive than rolled oats.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    thriftlady - I have the set too :D Have you noticed that the spines all co-ordinate to make the red/white and blue of the Union Jack? :D:D:D (don't ask me why I notice odd things like that, but I'm sure they really were designed that way :o )
    Yes! mine are in a box with a union jack design.I noticed that you can get a combined edition of all 3 books now,it's called Feeding the Nation,I think and is basically the same bar a few recipes.The recipes are arranged under headings like 'soups' rather than in 3 books IYSWIM.
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    porridge oats are great in bread or muffins

i replace approx half a cup of flour with the oats, it makes the moistest bread you'll ever have the immense pleasure of eating ;)

i also make oatmeal cookies, flapjacks and both sweet and savoury porridge

and i make my own museli so they're essential to that!

i love oats mmmmmmmmmm
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Don't forget granola.Fab american breakfast cereal based on oats with seeds and nuts added and baked with honey/sugar and oil .
  • Queenie
    Options
    Isn't granola the US version of "muesli"? Mind you, they make the most fantastic Granola Bars :drool: :D

If there is a difference, I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me, it would settle an ongoing argument once and for all :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills