Cash for Old Mobiles (Updated 1st post)

UPDATE: There's now a full detailed updated "Old Mobiles: Recycle them for up to £150" article that takes you through this step by step. Please read that.

Official Insert

A great chat forum spot started by JasonLVC! We've all got old phones lying around the house and there are a few ways you can make a bit of extra dosh by recycling them.

Probably the top pick for most is Envirofone

Insert

Envirofone have asked us to let people know that phones should ideally be sent recorded signed for post. This will insure items up to £32 should they get lost. If your phone has a much higher value you may want to consider special delivery as unfortunately envirofone can't cover the costs of lost phones.

Envirofone* is a mobile phone recycling site, who will send you cash or credit with Argos depending on the make and model of your phone plus donate £1 to charity.

Go to the site and on the left hand site enter the details of your phone and find out how much it'll give you. You'll get slightly less if you opt for hard cold cash.

What to do

Register for an account and then click on 'trade in phone'. Choose your manufacturer and the charity you would like envirofone to make a donation to (this doesn't effect how much you will be paid) and confirm. You will then be sent a pre paid jiffy bag through the post. All you need to do is send your phone back amd wait for confirmation that your handset has passed the test. It should then take about 15 working days after that to receive the cheque.

Terms & Conditions

Each mobile phone traded in

a) should power-up (turn on) and be in a working condition

b) should not be crushed or water damaged although may have some mild cosmetic damage such as light scratching to fascias and surrounds

c) should have its battery and memory card (if your phone came with one originally)

d) should appear in our online guide

Any mobile phones sent to envirofone.com that are received but not listed in our online mobile phone guide will be properly recycled.

If we receive mobile phones that do not meet our terms & conditions we notify the member by email of the adjusted enviropoints value. If the member does not accept the new enviropoints value, we are happy to return the phone. envirofone have the final decision on all enviropoint values.

Mopay

Mopay is a similar to Envirofone, again choose your handset, enter the condition of the phone and find out what you'll get for it and complete your personal details. If you prefer you can also have the whole amount donated to Childline otherwise 10% of the sale price will be donated.

Terms & Conditions

Mobiles should be in working order, power up and not be crushed or water damaged.
Battery should be included.
Payment for phones will be made by cheque within 30 days of receipt of the phone.
All offers to purchase expire after 30 days.

eBay

It's always worth checking to see how much you might be able to get on eBay for your phone particular if it is a new or unused model although this is a bit more effort. Use the completed listings feature on eBay to see how much similar handsets have gone for.

Tesco

Sometimes Tesco offers a trade in on handsets for clubcard points. You can get 300 for working phones and 50 for non working phones. Of course use these for Deal vouchers and that's £12 and £2 respectively. If you're popping into Tesco it's worth checking to see if it's running the offer and grabbing an envelope at the customer service desk to send off your phone. A good option if your phone is totally kaput!

Which one?

The best thing to do is a quick comparison across all of them to see what you'll get from each of the options and decide based on that. The newer the phone the more likely it will do well on eBay but if it is an old model you may be better off recycling it at Tesco.
Back to the original post..............

Came across a mobile phone recycling site called www.envirofone.com (I've done a forum search and couldn;t see this posted previously so apologies if duplicate).

They are in partnership with Argos and will exchange your old mobiles for cash or Argos credit.

Values given for phones are different depending upon what they are, but if you are one of those people like me who go for 12 month cash back mobile deals and then get a new phone each year, this may be worth considering.

Have traded two phones so far with a credit of £97.00 on my account to spend in the High Street - and it's recycling, environmentally friendly, etc.

T&C - Each mobile phone traded in

a) should power-up (turn on) and be in a working condition
b) should not be crushed or water damaged although may have some mild cosmetic damage such as light scratching to fascias and surrounds
c) should have its battery and memory card (if your phone came with one originally)
d) should appear in our online guide

** Update - Another company www.mopay.co.uk seem to offer the same service but have different cash prices for phones to that of envirofone so you may want to visit both sites and find out which ones offers the best price and go with them (although I've no personal experience of mopay)

* Using these links helps the site stay ad-free and free to use, as they’re ‘affiliated links’ which invisibly take you via commercial price comparison services like Moneysupermarket or Find, which then pay this site per click

You shouldn’t notice any difference, the links don’t impact the product at all and the editorial line (the things I write) is NEVER impacted by the revenue. If it isn’t possible to get an affiliate link for the best product, it is still recommended and still included. The following envirofone is an identical unaffiliated links provided for the sake of transparency. Click on the following link for more details on this site’s non-profit driven ethical stance
threadbanner.gif
Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.

Comments

• rbrady1
    rbrady1 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Thanks for this. Just traded in my old mobile for £48.16 of Argos vouchers! I was gonna bin it as well.... Woo hoo!
  • Chuffy
    Chuffy Posts: 1,254 Forumite
    Also got a good price at envirofone for a shabby Nokia 7600. Got £48 in Argos vouchers as well or just over £41 cash - will take the cash to be honest - will pay for the screen and battery upgarde on my dell laptop....

Good, post.
  • wow brilliant, just stole my old nokia back off my 3 year old daughter .. its only £4.73 in argos vouchers but my son is currently playing on my old siemens phone and that is worth another £19.45. mmmmmmm .... how am i going to get that back .. he loves the games .... my brother has in his bedside drawer 3 nokia phones that he no longer uses .. im going to go do some thieving !!!
  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,619
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    good post.. have just got all our old mobiles together and there are 8 of them:eek: not including the ones my daughter plays with.. will see how much I can get for them and will update my post...

going by this i have over 1860 points how much is that in cash?
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!
  • NO WAY! According to that my phone is worth £32.90 in cash! Thats more than I paid for it, I just wish I could part with it, I wuv it so

:D:D:D

Ooooh, even cooler, they can remind me in 6 months!
    Thanks!! :D:D:D
  • abynk
    abynk Posts: 32
    First Post
    Forumite
    Good find !
  • goldentouch
    goldentouch Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Wow. I've got £120 so far... and that's just the ones I can remember that are hanging around!
    Silence is more musical than any song
  • All my phones are not listed...lol ;)
  • Chuffy
    Chuffy Posts: 1,254 Forumite
    $17mma wrote:
    good post.. have just got all our old mobiles together and there are 8 of them:eek: not including the ones my daughter plays with.. will see how much I can get for them and will update my post...

going by this i have over 1860 points how much is that in cash?

£218 cash
    £250 Argos vouchers
  • intel
    intel Posts: 6,404
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My Sharp GX25 only £20.00 :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing