PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

To dye for...?

Options
Was chatting with some mates about dyeing clothes recently and they all looked at me a bit strangely, but surely I am not the only one? So far I have dyed a pair of shoes black for work (cheapo blue ones in a sale), I like to dye remnants of material from charity shops to make cushion covers etc and I also dye faded black tops black again to make 'em as good as new. And yes, I also used to "tie dye" when it was trendy back in the 80s!!!!!!!!!!

So does any one like to dye or do you not think it is worth it given that shops like Primark sell brand new stuff relatively cheaply anyway?
"It's not easy being me...!" :wave:

Comments

• wendyjb
    wendyjb Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    I also dye.
    Like you i dye my blacks once they start fading. Deffo worth it, if its fits well and isn't worn out in any other way. Especially black jeans - they always lose the colour really fast.
    After spending weeks looking round for cream sandals for a wedding (dicky feet), i just ordered some shoe dye/paint off the internet and refreshed an old pair i had. They looked good as new, and having already been broken in, i didn't end up with blisters!
    £2 Money Savers Club = £18 :T
    Car loan 1 = Paid off :dance:
    Car loan 2 = £2400 :(
    CC - Paid off :dance:
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ive never dyed clothes a different colour, but ive often dyed my old jeans and black tops that have started to turn grey!!!!
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When we were teenagers, my sister and I used to dye stuff ~ all the powder in with the salt into my Mum's old pressure cooker ! It was the only pan big enough and then we would stand over it and stir it round like two little witches! All our charity shop finds and old jumble went in. We had a unique sense of fashion!

I have used the washing machine dyes a couple of times but its not quite the same :D
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Which "Dye" would you recommend? Think I have seen "Dylon" in Woolworths.

There's an orange kafthan I like in Next but would rather have it in black - do you think this would work? Would it depend on the material etc??

xx
  • Simonkey_2
    Options
    Hiya

Generally speaking I have had best results with cotton things but jeans work well too. The Dylon is the only one (I think) - it is the only one I've ever used anyway! You can either get one for the washing machine or get a cold water one and put it in bucket! And yep, you can get them in woolies or any little haberdashery shop!

PS you wont be needing woolly stuff in Oz will you!!!!

• ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Simonkey wrote:
    Hiya

Generally speaking I have had best results with cotton things but jeans work well too. The Dylon is the only one (I think) - it is the only one I've ever used anyway! You can either get one for the washing machine or get a cold water one and put it in bucket! And yep, you can get them in woolies or any little haberdashery shop!

PS you wont be needing woolly stuff in Oz will you!!!!

Fab. Might try that this weekend!!

Perhaps it isnt a kafthan then :0) - doh!! It's a top thing to wear on the beach!! (I know what I mean!!).

26 Weeks today by the way - YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Thanks for your help xx
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to dye black jeans black again but havn't dyed any clothes for yonks epsecially now the battered, faded, vintage look is in. I'm actually buying brand news clothes with beach fading, holes and ripped hems:eek: lol Mrs MATH thinks I must be mad cos I've got genuine clapped out vintage clobber back at home. I tell her to get with the programme it's 'distressed' social daintiness prevents me typing her reply:o ;):D

Every three years or so I do dye my conservatory sofa and chair covers back to dark green cos the sun fades the top and they look as good as new. Everytime I do it someone will pipe up "have ya had new sofas?"
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • wishingonastar_3
    Options
    i also dye. my cream dressing gown (an expensive xmas pressie from m & s) which is in good nick, but had some glass paint spilt on it by dd is now a loveley dark blue, and looks as good as new. far cheaper than a new one, and a pair of jeans went in same wash with it so they got a new life too. i dye black stuff thats faded, and when we moved and bedrooms were different colour i bought value white duvet covers from tesco in the sale and dyed them to what we wanted, far cheaper than buying ones to match. did mine in tie dye, which i like anyways!!! never tried dying shoes though, where do you get the stuff from for that, and is it easy to do?
    £2 saver club 30th sept 198 £2 coins = £396(£350 banked)
  • Simonkey_2
    Options
    Hiya woas

You can get the shoe dye in cobblers etc. It is a liquid that comes in a little pot and you get a spongey thing on a metal handle. All you do is wipe the shoes down with white spirit, wait for it to dry and them just "paint" the dye on with the sponge. Is very easy - and depending on the shoe you may need to do one or 2 coats. But it can be quite messy so whack some newspaper down and put on some old rubber gloves and you'll be fine! Let me know how you get on!

Great to hear everyone's stories! xxx

• starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    Options
    ms_london wrote:
    Which "Dye" would you recommend? Think I have seen "Dylon" in Woolworths.

There's an orange kafthan I like in Next but would rather have it in black - do you think this would work? Would it depend on the material etc??

xx

you should be aware, that depending on what type of cotton is used for the seams, the colour may not take on it, so you will have stitching in orange.
    for me this has worked well sometimes, i dyed a pillar box red pencil skirt black and the red stitching makes an interesting detail to it.

i love dylon, though it can be expensive, i haven't ever come across other btands though.
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport