Re: Unlocking mobiles (untested)

Insert by Martin

The original post on this thread has dissappeared, so I thought I would write a mini-intro to start it off.

What is unlocking?

This means enabling your phone to work with a compatible Sim card from any mobile network. It is possible to simply unlock a mobile phone by putting in a code found via software. *

Isn't it illegal?

Nope, this is a common misunderstanding.

UNLOCKING - which means being able to use your phone with any network's sim card in it ( legal).

UNBLOCKING means making a phone work when a phone is rendered unusable after a report of theft. *Unblocking is illegal and therefore should not and does not form a part of this thread.

Many mobile retailers and networks will offer to Unlock a phone for you - for a fee, this thread is about how to do it for free.

Martin

As the top thread is deleted, I have copied links from MoneySaver Rebel's post below, to some websites which offer unlocking codes.

http://www.unlockme.co.uk/dct4free.html

http://www.irwebonline.com/

http://www.dr-nokia.co.uk/

http://www.techgsm.com/

http://www.cubwolf.co.uk/

All Sites are legal and software is also legal freeware.

rebel

Now back to Fuelman's own post

well spotted, i have downloaded the unlocking program and it works. I just unlocked my nokia 3510i which was locked to orange.I might start a wee sideline now. ;D

Comments

• SPL
    SPL Posts: 268 Forumite
    Superb stuff. Especially if you buy phones from Ebay or other second hand places. There's usually stalls at markets for this type of thing but they charge a tenner a time. Nice one Kellamne. ;D
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Help a sometimes not very technically minded person here...
    now ive seen an offer on a phone i like but on a different network does this mean i can unlock it myself?
    and excuse me for asking this but if the file is on my pc how does it get in the phone? do i need a cable or just input codes?
    help!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    I think this is a particularly good tip. At the least it is a saving of roughly £30 that the networks would charge you to unlock your phone (and their delay). I have checked the legality with top Carphone Warehouse boffins.

It's important we differentiate between unlocking a phone - and unblocking a phone that has been reported lost or stolen. I am only referring to the first case.

Carphone Warehouse say

"It's not illegal, and you can supposedley get it done at some of the smaller retailers or find out how to do it through the internet. You can also request if from Orange, who will charge approximately £30 and may make you pay the outstanding line rental on your contract."

Rest assured this will be Money Tipped soon!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I finally registered_but on a different PC (dont know if that makes a difference_but I couldn't log in to type this).

I am now looking to buy a cable to unlock the 3310/30's that my mates have_such a popular phone.
    Has anyone tried this yet, and is the software with it on subscription_or freeware (like the above calculator). The plan was to buy the cable as a co-op, to offset the cost, then i would keep the cable at the end, distributing any further profits evenly afterwards.

Note to SARAHSAVER: The software generates a code to type into phone_but as noted it may breach your annual contract?? I did mine on PAYG.
  • System
    Community Admin
    just realised how dodgy name above looks in context to the subject title...nothing to worry about though
  • (Login problem->Realised I was using wrong password_DOH!)

REPLY TO:
    "kaz Posted on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 9:07pm
    hi all,
    I'm having trouble with unlocking the phone. My problem is that when you type in the code as shown ,what happen next?Is the phone supposed to send a kind of message after the last code is entered?
    thanks
    kaz"

When I unlocked mine I had to take out the sim card, put battery bck in and then turn it back on_and just type the code in. The unlock message came up straight away, and instantly recognised my new O2 sim card following this. Hope this helps.
  • Wow very cool gonna unlock every phone i see now !!!
    -34k to 0 from september '05
    Debt Free, Stoozing King, Shrewd spender
  • I get the file up and running, then it says. Projekt 1 . Class not registered you need the following file to be installed on your manhine. MSSTDFMT.DLL with just ok as a option

In the instructions for the unblocking program it says If the program asks for MSSTDFMT.DLL then double click "Easy Register.reg"
    and click YES. Then Right click MSSTDFMT.DLL and select Register.

only I do not get this option, I am running on XP Pro
    can anyone help
    cheers
    Daz ???
  • System
    Community Admin
    I am looking to unlock my t68i phone in a few months for a trip i plan to go on in which i will be using another sim card for that country.

can anyone tell me where i get the info for this? it looks as if this one posted is only for nokia phones?
  • System
    Community Admin
    I get the file up and running, then it says. Projekt 1 . Class not registered you need the following file to be installed on your manhine. MSSTDFMT.DLL  with just ok as a option

In the instructions for the unblocking program it says If the program asks for MSSTDFMT.DLL then double click "Easy Register.reg"
    and click YES. Then Right click MSSTDFMT.DLL and select Register.

only I do not  get this option, I am running on XP Pro
    can anyone help
    cheers
    Daz ???

The file "Easy Register.reg" is located in the insatllation folder. You need to double click it and then right click MSSTDFMT.DLL :)

Can someone please confirm what has to be typed into the phone -- the instructions say "Type First code into locked phone... " - what do you type in? The first line starting *#pw etc or all 7 of them? Also, once a line is entered, do you have to hit anything else after the last '#' or should the "Sim Restriction Off" message come up as soon as the last # is entered?

When it suggests trying the +7 or +5 number, does this mean typing in the line that ends with the +7 or +5 or does it mean changing the +1 digit in the first code to +7? I don't want to guess otherwise I may use up my 5 goes! :)

Red
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport