Flat rent scam

Options
Good day everybody

My niece is about to depart for Washington, DC, and had arranged to rent a flat found through this website:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/

She paid 600 Euros in advance to a name and address in the UK through Western Union.
Needless to say she has lost everything and there is no sight of the "keys and contract" through UPS delivered to her italian address...

The scam qas quite elaborate with fake UPS receipts etc.

I have little or no hope of recovering any money - however I trust my fellow moneysavers to provide me with some inputs on what is the best avenue to pursue to have any chance of getting any money back, and laos to ensure these criminals are put in a position not to do damage anymore.

Thanks in advance.

MR

Comments

• markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you not call the police giving the details of the money payment, and where it was sent to?
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • nomoneytoday
    Options
    It's a common scam. They get you to "send money to a friend" to prove you are good for the rent, and send them a copy of the payment form.
    They then beat your friend to the WU office and collect the funds :(
  • omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They are also doing this on Gumtree as well as all Craigslist sites
  • Twilyte
    Options
    [FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Hi Nickey,[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Thanks for your prompt response. You can have the flat as long as you want it but preferably I want a tenant who can secure it for long term, how long are you planning to stay in my apartment, all that matter is you being a clean and reliable tenant.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]I mentioned it in my previous mail that I'm currently in Dublin working on a project and with the situation of things right here my family and I would have to end up living here permanently. We presently operate a Vacationer self catering apartment which is more profitable here than running it in England.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Viewing my property is not a problem at all, it's just that I have been deceived and fooled in the past weeks where I had to waste valuable time and taking a risk flying from Dublin down there to show tenants the flat and all they tell me is different from what we discussed via emails or they are not able to make the appointment or cash not ready, which is not fair to me. In other to avoid time wasters I have suggested that I have to be sure that whosoever is renting the flat should be capable of paying the cost of the rent & have good references, so I hope you will see things in my perspective.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]However, I will like you to show me the proof of your financial references so that I can be rest assured of you taking the place because I have another person that's also interested in taking the place but his offer is too low for my acceptance and moreover you showed interested before her.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]So, how do I know you are ready and capable of paying the rent of my apartment? I required that you send me a proof of money transfer either by western union money transfer or Money gram transfer (preferably a scanned slip) or details of transfer e.g. Mtcn/ref number, sender's name and receiver's name sent by your name to any of the following; maybe the name of your friend, partner or family member, the sum of THE COST OF RENTING MY APARTMENT (rent + security deposit = £900). Note that I'm not requiring you to send me any money but to the name of anyone closer to you, with this method you know that your money is still within you and after I confirm the transfer I will inform you to go back to the location where you sent the money from and collect your money back. Only by the method above I accepted as a proof of your financial references, please take note.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]It has to be valid and current for me to see and believe that you are capable of paying the rent and you are really sincere. I don't want to collect any money from you until you have viewed the flat and ready to move in, all I need is proof that you are serious and capable and not wasting my valuable time, then we can fix a day for an appointment to meet and view the flat at your chosen and convenient time.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]When we arrive to the property we can reach an agreement on how you will move into the flat. I promise to incur back to you the charges of sending the money at western union or money gram. I'll also like you to know that a copy of Tenancy Agreement form will be signed by both parties and to be kept for record purpose and if at any point in time you break the rules listed in the agreement form, I'll return your money and serve you a quit notice. [/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Below is what you need to send me for the confirmation of your financial reference after sending the money at the western union or money gram, so that I will be able to call western union or money gram to confirm and after I confirm the transfer I will inform you immediately so that you can go back and collect your money at the sending location.[/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma, sans-serif] [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]SENDERS NAME....................YOUR NAME[/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]RECEIVER' NAME..................THE RECEIVERS NAME THAT YOU USED.[/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]AMOUNT SENT......................900POUNDS.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]I hope that we can reach an agreement soon. If you have any questions don't hesitate to email me and I'll be glad to provide answers.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Best Regards[/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Donald[/FONT]

***********The reply i had this morning to a too good to be true flat in Leicester**********
  • Heva2015
    Options
    The English doesn't sound quite right on that reply.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    Heva2015 wrote: »
    The English doesn't sound quite right on that reply.

You would think that WU would have to cough up if the dosh was not taken by the intended recipient.

A fair bit of id is needed to collect a WU, so there must be dodgy WU agents involved too??
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • sweven
    sweven Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    There was a very similar story on Scottish TV's North Tonight program a few days ago. It had actually happened to one of the reporter's daughters.

As well as sending money, she'd been asked to send a copy of her passport. Now the scammers have started using her details to con others, and she's getting abusive calls from other victims.
  • omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You would think that WU would have to cough up if the dosh was not taken by the intended recipient.

A fair bit of id is needed to collect a WU, so there must be dodgy WU agents involved too??
    The WU agents do not necessarily have to be in the UK, could be Nigeria where they are all on the bandwagon
  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    surely the idea is to play along. tell them you are weary, and if they could send, say £10 to show they are genuine.

take the £10, and ignore them.
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • mr1974
    mr1974 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies.

Yes the police is the obvious place where to start.

However I am not too convinced they will have the means to pursue this, esp. as the report has been made to italian "postal police" which I doubt will be able to pursue the matter here in the UK...

It seems so easy to set this crooks up and catch them red handed when they go and pick up the money from the receiving western union outlet, why don't the police just do that?

Any other avenue which is worth considering?

Thanks
    MR
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family