If I enable WPA security on my wireless router, I can't get access via my laptop HELP

Options
I had this system up and running once so know it can be done!!
I think I have buggered up my laptop settings after taking it to work and trying to get access via the wireless router there (which I couldn't do)
but now I cannot get the laptop to connect to the router when at home. Have tried loads of things including disenabling security on the router - which then lets the laptop pick up a wireless signal and go online, but if I try and enable WPA with a network key (which IS how it was working previously) it cannot find anything from the laptop.

I know this is probably something simple but I'm tired, computer phobic and now pulling my hair out - can anyone help PLEASE!!

Comments

• scotty
    scotty Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    As you have had the system running when security is disabled, it sounds like a set-up problem. Windows XP has a wireless networking wizard. When you run the wizard, settings are written to a floppy disc or memory stick so settings can be transfered to other computers on the network. Try running this wizard.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    try going back to an earlier restore point on the laptop, should have one before you played about with it,restore is under "Accessories" , "System Tools"
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • VixxAnn
    VixxAnn Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    I tried the network wizard and it just getting errors - however - have done a system restore to a date previous to my "playing" with the settings - and its sorted the problem.
    Thank you very much Browntoa - I wouldn't have known how to do a restore until you said.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    no problem, System restore is your friend :)

if you want to make changes in the future just make sure to do a restore point just before, you can then go back if you break it :)
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • VixxAnn
    VixxAnn Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    thanks - I'll do one now because I might just have to do another restore again soon.. I still need to try and get the laptop to be able to connect to our wireless router at work so will still need to play around with some settings (it's like fumbling in the dark for me - I haven't a clue!!)
  • buster1967
    Options
    System restore is your friend

it is if it works which in my case is not very often especially when its needed.
  • trojjer
    Options
    There is a fix for XP SP2 that I had to download to enable a few laptops to connect to a WPA2 network in a student flat. This is an old thread, but if anyone's having such a problem it might be worth trying this 1.5MB file:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/e/b/9eb62d0b-61f0-4c9e-9c52-e3bef96d9e7f/WindowsXP-KB893357-v2-x86-ENU.exe
    The only problem? Windows XP isn't compatible with WPA2-secured networks without a special update for WPA2 encryption support. That's understandable, after all, WPA2 didn't come out until after Windows XP SP2. But the problem is, it's not even on Windows Update! Windows Update, always quick on the mark with the monthly Malicious Software Removal tool and other recommended updates surprised us by not showing the littlest inkling that there was an update as important to security as WPA2 available for download. It's been available for manual download - only with Genuine Advantage validation - from Microsoft since May 2005... That's a long time to be waiting!
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    scotty wrote: »
    As you have had the system running when security is disabled, it sounds like a set-up problem. Windows XP has a wireless networking wizard. When you run the wizard, settings are written to a floppy disc or memory stick so settings can be transfered to other computers on the network. Try running this wizard.

I ahve the same problem where can I find the wizard please?
    system restore didn't help. I am vista and I `can see the connection but it says hiddel location and I can't get the laptop to see it to connect to it.

Under help it told me to customise network locations to private from public if using vista to sleve problem but I cannot find customise anywhere. Any ideas? Taz
  • -TangleFoot-
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    I `can see the connection but it says hiddel location and I can't get the laptop to see it to connect to it.
    Can you reconfigure the device you are trying to connect to? It sounds like your access point isn't broadcasting its SSID.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sorry for the delay been without broadband. Any idea how I configure the device? I think you mean the ethernet ewire thingee?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure