Top Ten Tip for Newbies!

Apart from "don't get in debt" of course

I just wondered there are so many challenges and tips on here i was overwhelmed when i first started!

what are the little money saving/debt busting things you live and die by? (ok bit dramatic but you know what i mean) thought we could do a top ten!

TIPS SO FAR: (ok so more than ten but interesting reading!)

BUDGETING/DEBT MANAGEMENT
  • Dont disregard small payments as pointless - every little helps (to quote Mr T!)
  • Keep a spend diary - i agree makes you realise where those little pence that add up to pounds go
  • Dont consolidate unless is a great rate! - banks are there to make money!
  • Get to know the snowball calculator - work out how much time and interest that extra £10 could take off a debt every month
  • CCCS/Payplan - contact one just to see what they advise - you don't have to agree to a DMP, but they might have valuable Tips
  • Withdraw Money at the begining of the week - to cover, food/petrol/stuff and when its gone its gone - allows you to stick to your budget much more easily
  • Sign up to a challenge on MSE - Payment a day/grocery challenge/sealed pot/what have you spent today - you might be more likely to stick to it if that competitive streak appears!
  • Savings - have some! - open an account, decide on an amount (it's been suggested a few hundred) and put bits away until you reach that goal, then maintain it replacing (eventually) any amount you have to withdraw this hopefully will prevent you from sticking emergency expenses on the credit card
SHOPPING
  • A meal planner/shopping list - cut my food bill in half!
  • Buy Value or avoid the big 4 supermarkets
  • Shop online to stop you over spending
  • Do you need or want something? wait 24hours before the purchase - gives you time to reflect if all life as we know it will really end if you don't get that item!
  • Shop After Dinner - stops you buy stuff you fancy
  • Shopping trolley for 1....leave the Kids and OH at home - they all try and add to the Trolley
  • Avoid the BOGOF's if its not something you use regularly - prevents unwanted stuff piling up in the cupboards
  • Charity shops - find bargins and also rather than donating money donate time and effort by helping them out
  • Use Vouchers - I've heard tesco accept them whether you've bought the item or not!
  • Join quidco.co.uk - and earn cashback when shopping!
  • Buy cheap cooked chickens when they are reduced-use meat for a chicken and potato stew (just mash meat and potatoes with any other veg and stock) and boil up whats left of the carcass to make big pot of stock to freeze
  • Buy reduced 'expensive' veg - like peppers, cut them into strips and freeze

AROUND THE HOME

Cooking
  • Bulk left overs with veg for a new meal
  • Make your own bread
  • Grow your own! - veg can be planted for next to nothing!
Cleaning
  • Use vinegar/bicarb/lemon juice for cleaning
  • Buy good quality washing up liqid and dilute it

Saving on Gas /Electricity
  • Don't leave anything on Standby - saves electricity
  • A Bulb a person - only have as many lights on a people in the house (love that one)
  • Energy Saving light bulbs - reduce your fuel bill
  • Charge your mobile at work
  • Get a shower timer - got a free one from Ariel's website few weeks ago
  • Buy a flask & Save the boiled water from your kettle
  • Turn the temprature down on your shower
  • Wash hair/Shave in cold water
  • Don't use the tumble dryer"
  • Use residual heat from your over/cooker to warm water
  • Put curtains up over doors to stop drafts
  • Share baths - we have a 4 tiered system in my house - me/husband (order depends on who bagsies it first) then baby then dog ;o)
Misc
  • use the money saving old style board for ideas
  • Buy a composter - will help in the long run as you can use it to grow veg
  • Have a night in with your mates - a few nibbles go a long way
AT WORK
  • Walk to work - its green, its healthy & saves you MONEY! YEEHA
  • Leave your purse at home 1 day a week - you'll be amazed at how much you spend on the odd chocolate bar
  • Pack Lunches - A little time and effort can save you £££'s - it's saved me £5 a day!
Thanks Guys this is Fab - its like a cheat sheet Newbies can print off at the start of their DFW journey :T :T :T :T :T :T

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Piggy Bank £12.....Delay repay claims for train delays £98.75! mystery shopper work £20 Quidco £9.77 You Gov £1.00
Payment a day challenger 63 - Ebay cleared! MORTGAGE ARREARS CLEARED :T

Comments

• Don't dismiss small changes as having little or no effect. Small changes add up to one big one. You may think that paying a spare £5 off your debt is pointless.. but it all adds up.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • washing machine/dishwasher late at night - Helps with electric bill.
    Don't be too proud to use 'value' or own brand for basics or avoid the 'big 4' supermarkets -shop at Aldi/Lidl.
    Bulk out leftovers with veg for a new meal. Explore the Old style board. I don't post there but have learnt a lot.
    THE LONG AND THE SLOW ROAD SEEM TO APPLY TO DEBTS AND DIETS... THE TWO THINGS I WANT TO SEE THE BACK OF...:D
  • Robbda
    Robbda Posts: 169 Forumite
    Don't dismiss small changes as having little or no effect. Small changes add up to one big one. You may think that paying a spare £5 off your debt is pointless.. but it all adds up.

ooh totally agree the old payment a day cleared my ebay debt in no time usually i would have spent it on god knows what because i didn't see that fiver making a big difference
    Piggy Bank £12.....Delay repay claims for train delays £98.75! mystery shopper work £20 Quidco £9.77 You Gov £1.00
  • Ohh - just thought, if you do use Mr T's etc try to shop on line. I find that even with the service charge I spend less because I'm not tempted to stray from my list!
    THE LONG AND THE SLOW ROAD SEEM TO APPLY TO DEBTS AND DIETS... THE TWO THINGS I WANT TO SEE THE BACK OF...:D
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,741
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    My tip is if it switches on then switch it off!!! Leave NOTHING on standby. And there should be no more lights on than there are people in the house, after all no - one can be in two places at once.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Keep a spending diary

ym
  • OliveOyl_2
    OliveOyl_2 Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Giving myself 24 hours thinking time before paying out for something not in my budget :o
    That has stopped me buying LOADS :D
  • Robbda
    tealady wrote: »
    My tip is if it switches on then switch it off!!! Leave NOTHING on standby. And there should be no more lights on than there are people in the house, after all no - one can be in two places at once.

I love this! i am taking this home tongiht i will call it "a bulb a bloke" i sit in the dark to save whilst OH moves from room to room with all lights a blazing! i often spend most of my life following him round turning them off!
  • yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Robbda wrote: »
    I love this! i am taking this home tongiht i will call it "a bulb a bloke" i sit in the dark to save whilst OH moves from room to room with all lights a blazing! i often spend most of my life following him round turning them off!

How about buying everyone in the house a wind up torch :D:D. Saves on light bulbs

ym
  • Robbda
    How about buying everyone in the house a wind up torch :D:D. Saves on light bulbs

ym

:D:D i can see his face now :D:D i did consider taking the light bulbs out at one point
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport