Would you use a Professional Haggler

Options
Hi all
A friend of mine is brilliant at haggling and was thinking of setting himself up as a professional haggler. People would contact him with details of what they wanted to buy and the best deal they'd found and he'd get them a better price by haggling direct with the salesperson. He'd take a cut of the discount. The service would be aimed at people who want a good deal but are too shy to haggle themselves.

Some people think its a great idea, others say its nuts.

But what do ye moneysavers think?
Make £10 a day May challenge
2011 Sealed pot challenge

Comments

• Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldnt, why would you want to get a discount on something only to give some of the money to someone for getting you the discount?

I'm sure there would be some people that would use it, but personaly I think if you are too shy or paranoid about asking for discount yourself then you dont deserve it.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • smiths84
    smiths84 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Well..say he got you £1000 off the price of a new car (which he did for a friend of ours who was being walked all over by the salesman). You save £800, he gets £200.
    He also got the interest rate down from 4 to 0 per cent.
    Make £10 a day May challenge
    2011 Sealed pot challenge
  • tomthebomb
    tomthebomb Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    I think that could be a great idea - depending on his charges
  • MaxEnder
    MaxEnder Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    If he didn't cost too much, I would use him. But obviously, he doesn't get paid if he can't get the discount, right?
  • liuhut
    liuhut Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea to me, would it be no win, no fee!!! Personally I wouln't have any need as my OH is v good at haggling, I have to walk off as I get embarressed!!
    Hope he makes a success out of it
    WIN £2008 in 2008 £1836.31 2009 wins - £91!!! 2010 wins in Oz $ 6170.... wins 2011 aprox $2000
    MFIT - number 37. Reduce my mortgage from £63,500 to £48,000. now at 54,000...
  • tattoed_bum
    tattoed_bum Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    :D i must be really good at haggling then .i managed to get £2000 off a £6000 car for me and i got £1500 off a £4000 car for my hubby and free tax for both :D

but then my hubby would never haggle he always sends me in lol

i think it's a great idea
  • mrscb
    mrscb Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    should we all send Martin Lewis a % of what we save by tips on this site then!!!:rotfl:
    :beer: Am thinking of a new one:beer:
  • katiecoodle
    katiecoodle Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Personally I'd be absolutely gutted if someone else managed to secure a discount better than I did - perhaps this isn't the right site to just public opinion - we're all pro's at haggling I reckon...;)
  • Domski
    Domski Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Could he not teach them the skills of it?

Better they have something to build on & can
    help their own family & friends.

Companies are getting worse at mis-selling & are
    counting on peoples ignorances.

I meet people everyday who have been had over (In IT, ISP's etc). :confused:
  • Kylie
    Kylie Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    I am worried my partner will pay whatever he is told to on a particular large purchase. I WISH he could haggle and be bold and save some money! I know if he did it right (or if it was up to me) could get £300+ knocked off. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport