How do I make my washing smell scrumptious?

Hi all!

I need a bit of advice!

As I have no garden I am unable to dry my clothes outside and I sometimes feel they smell a bit musty from drying inside (especially the heavier pieces) But now it is sumer and warmer and therefore they are drying quicker but still musty!

Well I think the inside drying is the main reason but also thought it maybe down to my washing machine. The filters are fine though and it was serviced a wee while back so it can't be that!

Though could be my washing technique? 40 degree wash with Mr T's tablets (use one and a half per wash) and some fabric conditioner.

Anyway...

Does anyone have any tips? Do you put anything in with your load apart from powder?

Any help would be appreciated!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
I miss using my infinite coupons at Tesco!
2010 was the worst year ever :(
But 2011 so far has been a lot of fun! :j

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    It sounds like it's the drying rather than the washing. It sounds as if you're hanging them over an airer rather than using a tumble drier? I'd imagine an overloaded airer and limited fresh air would cause mustiness. Do you have an airer near an open window and can you rotate the washing so it all gets some air?
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just put a few drops of your favourite essential oil in the machine when it's on a rinse cycle. Lavender is lovely.
  • willowwitch
    willowwitch Posts: 12 Forumite
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    Just put a few drops of your favourite essential oil in the machine when it's on a rinse cycle. Lavender is lovely.

You beat me to it. Just what I was about to say.
  • Essential oil sounds like a good idea - I suppose you mean aromatherapy oils rather than the kind you use in an oil burner? Will definitely try this.

I really miss having a garden to dry my clothes in now I live in a flat - having the window by the airer open does help a bit, but it's not the same.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Lavender is especially gorgeous on your bedding - great for helping to induce a good night's sleep.
  • Thanks to all the quick replies!

I think I will try a bit of everything suggested so far. The airer is possibly a bit over loaded at time so I will invest in another maybe to space things out and I love Lavender so I will have to pop some in!
    I miss using my infinite coupons at Tesco!
    2010 was the worst year ever :(
    But 2011 so far has been a lot of fun! :j

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,893
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I found most oils make splodgy marks on the clothing..

Do you have space on a ceiling for one of those pully up airers? they are great.. heat rises so dries items quicker.. the only thing is you have to ne more disciplined than I.. mine brough the ceiling down as I had tonnes of stuff hung on it.. all on hangers lol
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    if your windowsills are suitable, you could have a caravan airer that hangs out of the window, when I lived in flats lots of the neighbours used them.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I love the oil in the rinse cycle idea! Fantastic.

I too have no tumble dryer (and only once did cos it was in DH's flat when moved in but didn't use it once I got over the excitement and thought about a. expense and b. environment), and while I don't live in a flat at the moment I really have done and feel your pain.

I'm going to experiment with the oils, but also, experiment with different fabric conditioners....change the scent maybe? I find some really don't suit my nose! Also, although I'm told they are lethal in a dryer those Bounce sheets are useful in a drawer, as are drawer liners and lavender bags and other scented things. I scnet different drawers with different things...hopeing to get new 'scent experiences' from diferent drawers. (I am very slighty laundry and smell fixated!)
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 204 Forumite
    You beat me to it. Just what I was about to say.

Me too!!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport