500GB External hard drive for backing up files, £50 delivered

Options
What's the deal?

Web electronics giant ebuyer has reduced the price of its cheapest 500GB external hard drive to £50 delivered. If you're looking for a plug 'n' play USB drive to back up your precious computer data on, this is a decent price.

How to get one.

Just click the link below to find the product on the site, and add it to your basket. If you've never shopped at ebuyer before you'll need to set up an account before you can pay, but this shouldn't take long.
Alternatively.
If you have problems with ebuyer, as some have reported below, this drive's also available from Amazon for the same price inc. delivery. Thanks to arealhighlander for pointing this out!
For entirely alternative means of backing up data, and more info on it, read the Free Back up Software section of the Free Anti-virus article.
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• alchemista
    alchemista Posts: 1,305 Forumite
    Options
    Nice deal, even compared to international prices.
  • thetartankilt
    Options
    I have used Ebuyer many times over the last few year, but my experience was far from pleasant.

Basically, Ebuyer's main warehouse don't understand how to pack goods in boxes to protect them during transit delivery to you. When hard disks are shipped to customers, hard drive manufacturers insist on the disks being shipped in foam-padded boxes to avoid shocks. One of Ebuyer's warehouses packaged the disk perfectly, but their main warehouse shipped the other drive in a courier's plastic bag, which when delivered was dead on arrival.

To make matters worse, Ebuyer make use of CityLink for deliveries. With the same delivery, the 'courier' did their age old trick to finish work early by leaving a card "we called while you were out" - at my OFFICE.

I visited the ChityLink depot where it took them 25 minutes to locate my packages. When I received them, 2 boxes had been hideously crushed, partially impacting the contents.

I made a complaint to Ebuyer, and they offered to pick up the dead disk, and ship a replacement. Sadly, Ebuyer sent a replacement disk - in the same BAD packaging, and ChityLink repeated their poor service.

But wait, there's more! I tried calling the ChityLink depot, and found the Edinburgh depot is now in Livingston, which further impacted the delivery.

I tried contacting Ebuyer to complain, but the only way to contact them is to telephone their 10 pence per minute telephone number, and to have some less-than-useful telephonist saying "oh, we're sorry", just use the web site to return the item".

I logged a complaint with CityLink, and warned them of my experience.

As a result of this this year's experience, I am out of pocket [having to pay for shipping the replacement disk back to them, and travel to the CityLink depot] and having to deal with the unprofessional CityLink company.

I now avoid the Ebuyer company.
    Your Mileage May Vary .... caveat emptor
  • sonic
    sonic Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    I have used Ebuyer many times over the last few year, but my experience was far from pleasant.

Basically, Ebuyer's main warehouse don't understand how to pack goods in boxes to protect them during transit delivery to you. When hard disks are shipped to customers, hard drive manufacturers insist on the disks being shipped in foam-padded boxes to avoid shocks. One of Ebuyer's warehouses packaged the disk perfectly, but their main warehouse shipped the other drive in a courier's plastic bag, which when delivered was dead on arrival.

To make matters worse, Ebuyer make use of CityLink for deliveries. With the same delivery, the 'courier' did their age old trick to finish work early by leaving a card "we called while you were out" - at my OFFICE.

I visited the ChityLink depot where it took them 25 minutes to locate my packages. When I received them, 2 boxes had been hideously crushed, partially impacting the contents.

I made a complaint to Ebuyer, and they offered to pick up the dead disk, and ship a replacement. Sadly, Ebuyer sent a replacement disk - in the same BAD packaging, and ChityLink repeated their poor service.

But wait, there's more! I tried calling the ChityLink depot, and found the Edinburgh depot is now in Livingston, which further impacted the delivery.

I tried contacting Ebuyer to complain, but the only way to contact them is to telephone their 10 pence per minute telephone number, and to have some less-than-useful telephonist saying "oh, we're sorry", just use the web site to return the item".

I logged a complaint with CityLink, and warned them of my experience.

As a result of this this year's experience, I am out of pocket [having to pay for shipping the replacement disk back to them, and travel to the CityLink depot] and having to deal with the unprofessional CityLink company.

I now avoid the Ebuyer company.
    Your Mileage May Vary .... caveat emptor

Citylink are dreadful. I've had problems with them twice recently. Both times with computer equipment, the same monosyllabic neanderthal has turned up, asked me if I could come down from the 2nd floor to collect it. I said no as I had a small baby asleep in the flat. He then grunted again and said he wasn't coming up in the lift as he didn't trust it, so would put it in the lift and send it up. I went to the lift and heard him literally throw it in (thankfully my hard drive was OK). And of course he didn't get a signature. Lazy git.
  • arealhighlander
    Options
    For those of you who don't like Ebuyer, you can also order this External Drive from Amazon for the exact same price delivered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-500GB-External/dp/B000OS54TA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214985023&sr=8-2
  • ablokedownthepub
    Options
    Don't get me started on City Link !!!

Other suppliers of good cheap stuff like this include http://www.expansys.com and http://www.dabs.com

Out of preference, i use LaCie portable hard drives - they're reliable and good value - and if you go for their 2.5" external drives many of them are self-powered by the USB link, so you dont even need an additional power supply to drive them.
  • Horlock
    Horlock Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I don't see this as that amazing a bargain.

I bought the 320GB external hard drive from amazon
    a few weeks back (OK I know it isn't 500GB) but for £20 that was what I regard as a bargain.
    There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!
  • naimone
    naimone Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    My own experience with eBuyer was a negative one. I had purchased a router from them which could not be persuaded to work. Their idea of technical support was to refer me to an ADSL forum! Despite several attempts to contact their returns department by phone and being kept on hold (I wish I had known about SAYNOTO0870 back then), I was never able to get through. An email was sent to them within their advertised "no-quibble returns" period, yet a refund was never forthcoming.

I buy complete computer systems for self-assembly, and de-bug other peoples systems on a regular basis. I have never had these difficulties with my other suppliers. I voted with my feet, and would suggest others do the same. eBuyer will never see any business recommendations from me!

Hmmm! Citilink. 'Nuff said.
    Debt balance at LBM, 6/6/2008 = £13,946.53 +£14,000 fixed term loan
    plus brand new car and bathroom since then.
    Proud to have dealt with my debts
    Debt free target date 25/12/2012
    Debt free date 25/5/2012
  • TaBunny
    TaBunny Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never had any problems with citilink round my way the chap is very polite and nothing's ever broke
    :p
  • pubwebmaster
    Options
    What annoyed me about Citylink was that their 'while you were out' phone number is an 0870 rip-off. Having said that, I've had no problems with damaged goods from eBuyer myself, and have used them several times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure