We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

barclaycard & leiusure time scam!!!

Options

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This company has also been using details of people who use certain TV shopping channels. Cold calling saying you bought such and such from Ideal World. People have thought it was IW and some holiday deal with a free catalogue. Then they are charged £99 for a year's membership. Quite a few have been in contact with Watchdog about this. They Leisure Time speak very quickly down the phone to encourage the free catalogue. A number of pensioners have been caught out.
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    16DLH61 wrote: »
    In the meantime, Barclaycard informed us that our card was being used fraudulently,(which impressed us at the time), so our card was cancelled and changed. However, Barclaycard must have informed Sentinel Gold of our changed card details, as they sent a renewal to our OLD address, but had accessed our new card details!

100% correct in this case, in all probability you had authorised Sentinel to set up a Continuous Payment Authority, unless you had cancelled the authority with Sentinel it would remain valid and although Sentinel would have billed the old Card Number, Barclaycard would have shown it against the new card number.

Don't use Continuous Payment Authorities if you want to avoid this.
  • Budner
    Budner Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Still looking forward to the day I click on a link that says scam and it's accurate!
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    Budner wrote: »
    Still looking forward to the day I click on a link that says scam and it's accurate!

I suspect you'll have quite a wait.
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • keithwjones
    keithwjones Posts: 174 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lot of negatives here. Same problem Leisure Time and Grattan for £79.99.

But many are missing the point, we did not sign up. So how are they getting signatures?

Waiting for our copy of signature to be forwarded.

Gathering momentum here:

http://www.jonathanmacdonald.com/?p=2254&dsq=12949314#comment-12949314

Keith
  • maxellis
    Options
    I have had my details and card number given to the disreputable scammers at Leisure Time, they claim that they had the details from Barclaycard and had my signature.
    Living in rural Wales its unlikely that I would wish to avail myself of any of their offers, however I have received none of the vouchers and offers and only knew that they had stolen £69.99 from me when they asked for a further years subscription.

If it did turn out that I had failed to tick a box on a document not requested by myself
    ( I dont believe this although I am waiting for proof of my signature from leisure Time)
    can I then drop fliers for my building firm and start work on people houses billing them in advance if they fail to reply within a set time and will Barclaycard assist by letting me use their logo and giving me the card numbers?

I am going to Barclaycard's fraud department and involving the police as I consider the action by Leisure Time to be criminal. Apparently Grattan and Kalidescope customers are being targeted now that Barclaycard have dropped them.
    Why would Barclaycard not warn customers? ( I have been with them since the begining of Barclaycard).

I will get my money back from either Barclaycard or leisure time because I intend to take it all the way in order to assist in curtailing this type of fraud.
  • jegudiel
    jegudiel Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with some of the earlier point on this thread that its not uncommon for customers to sign up to a free, no obligation trial that evolves into a £69.99 annual coomitment if you don't cancel within 30 days (with many other caveats).

However, I don't agree that Barclaycard or Leisure Time set out to mislead customers, but would have, indeed, did, catch customers with a hook and then reel them in (ala the amusing Nationwide ads). That's the way Marketing works.
  • keithwjones
    keithwjones Posts: 174 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jegudiel wrote: »
    I agree with some of the earlier point on this thread that its not uncommon for customers to sign up to a free, no obligation trial that evolves into a £69.99 annual coomitment if you don't cancel within 30 days (with many other caveats).

However, I don't agree that Barclaycard or Leisure Time set out to mislead customers, but would have, indeed, did, catch customers with a hook and then reel them in (ala the amusing Nationwide ads). That's the way Marketing works.

In my case I have not signed for this service. I have not received any documents.

Keith
  • alanrp123
    alanrp123 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    Taks wrote: »
    Before you begin trashing a company you ned to understand how it works.

Affinion is an affinity based company, in thats products arnt physical but are instead package and insurance based. The way the products are marketed is through their clients - in this case Barclaycard. If any policies or memberships are set up in your name, its usually because a box has either been ticked or not been ticked(this one is popping up more often now as people are wising up) authorisin the setup. With both sentinel gold and leisure time, the only way a policy can be set up is if you call THEM or one is requested on your behalf by the clients to the company. If the practices of the company were out of order, or unfair then Im positive both the FSA and the Financial ombudsman would have had it shut down.

The fact is, despite critisism, if details are passed on and policies/memberships are set up, its either down to the client that requested them, or the customer who failed to notice it was being set up.

Not sure if anyone remembers the old adverts for barclaycard depicting the person being tied to a bed and all his stuff being stolen, with the advert advertisng gadget insurance. This would work in exactly the same way (The product here was called mystuff) and after a given time period it then begins to charge.

If at ANY point do you think something suspect has happened, your first port of call should be your card issuer, as unless you took it out directl, that is where your fault may infact lie.

Before trying to defend these scammers, please learn to spell!!
  • SallyAnne
    SallyAnne Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    maxellis wrote: »
    I have had my details and card number given to the disreputable scammers at Leisure Time, they claim that they had the details from Barclaycard and had my signature.
    Living in rural Wales its unlikely that I would wish to avail myself of any of their offers, however I have received none of the vouchers and offers and only knew that they had stolen £69.99 from me when they asked for a further years subscription.

If it did turn out that I had failed to tick a box on a document not requested by myself
    ( I dont believe this although I am waiting for proof of my signature from leisure Time)
    can I then drop fliers for my building firm and start work on people houses billing them in advance if they fail to reply within a set time and will Barclaycard assist by letting me use their logo and giving me the card numbers?

I am going to Barclaycard's fraud department and involving the police as I consider the action by Leisure Time to be criminal. Apparently Grattan and Kalidescope customers are being targeted now that Barclaycard have dropped them.
    Why would Barclaycard not warn customers? ( I have been with them since the begining of Barclaycard).

I will get my money back from either Barclaycard or leisure time because I intend to take it all the way in order to assist in curtailing this type of fraud.

I had the same thing happening to me and I believe Barclaycard is involved. I did receive a letter from Leisure Time. I did not cancel but returned the letter with a note stating I have never been a member and do not intend to become one, as in a scam, cancellation might incur a cancellation charge. End of month, my Barclaycard statement showed £69.99 debit and I immediately telephoned to complain but my suspicions aroused when they transferred me to Affinion (usually I get the subjects' telephone number) and they repeated the mantra that unless I cancel I get charged. I wrote to Barclaycard and incredibly they replied feeling sorry for my ill health and financial insecurity and that I should contact Affinion who were working on their behalf and nothing about my complaint. I wrote again demanding an apology for the slur, the role of Affinion as their agents and a credit for the debit that has clearly not been authorised. I received it and feeling lucky I listed all the debits going back upto 2005 that I feel I did not authorise plus the interest accrued on the £69.99. I received credit for all of the charges, and an indirect apology and nothing about their agents Affinion. Two out of three is not bad and this is where the matter rests.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport