Meat and 3 veg without the meat?

You'd think after 18 years of vegetarianism, I'd have cracked this but no! Over the years, the only time I have potatoes and side vegetables has been if I bought processed cutlets, vegeburgers etc, or if I could be bothered making chick pea burgers etc.

I don't buy anything processed any more and when my in laws arrived today loaded up with pork pies, cooked potatoes and salad, I realised there was nothing quick I could whizz up for myself and my son to have with them. I quickly made something else for my toddler, but I ended up eating potatoes and lettuce for lunch which, although I'm grateful to my mil for bringing a spread, wasn't so appetising!

So here's my question, what can I make quickly that doesn't involve processed food but that I can have with spuds? (I use them in curries, tortilla and soup but never in the 'traditional' English way.)

Thanks for reading this!
May all your dots fall silently to the ground.

Comments

• Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    if you're not including ready-made/processed stuff, it's tricky!
    I'm a veggie and try to freeeze bits for later, that the kids can then feed on if they're in a hurry e.g. veggie sausage rolls, burgers
    Otherwise, i find pasta/noodles the quickest with frozen/tinned veggies thrown in ( eg. peas, peppers, spinach, sweetcorn, beans etc). Otherwise, rice is pretty quick too.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Potato with cheese, baked beans on top.

Slice potatoes and pan fry with an egg?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    An omlette? Or even fried eggs? Not too sure how well they go with lettuce but they both go well with new potatoes. Maybe have the lettuce and stuff as a side salad or starter rather than on the plate?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Thanks. I should have said I'd run out of eggs today, but it's certainly something I could do another time.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    :rotfl: :rotfl: I have no solution but had to laugh. I have exactly the same problem. I've been a veggie for 18years too and still never know what to have when everyone else in the house is having a 'potato dinner'. Although I do have to confess to just loving the potatoes & veg & veggie gravy. Soemtimes I push the boat out and have some bread and butter and make the messiest but lovliest sandwiches :o

I'd have boiled some eggs to go with the potato's and salad I think. And had a big blob of mayo with it. Or an omlette. But I cant cook omlettes for myself - only for other people :o (long story). Ooo, or cottage cheese - I love cottage cheese & hot potatoes.

This always happens to me at my mums - not that I eat there very often for this very reason. They aren't big veg eaters so I often get potato's & peas and some tinned carrots (insert puke smiley here) if I'm lucky.

Veg in our house would be cabbage, cauli cheese, carrots & maybe another if we're hungry. Oh and yorkshire puds even with chicken :D

We like our veggies - actually we just like food full stop :rotfl:

now I'll stop waffling. I'll be interested in replies too.

EDIT: I started typing this before there were any replies and now there are squillions - all talking about eggs too :D . I got distracted by an 11 year old moaning myrtle.
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Liking the spud buttie idea, but am on a diet!
  • elona wrote:

Slice potatoes and pan fry with an egg?

Add an onion, and that's the tortilla I mentioned. Traditional family dish derived from a Spanish one. We have it with brown sauce!
  • elona
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    How about stuffed mushrooms or stuffed peppers?
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Stuffed, grilled mushrooms would be quick, I like that idea. Or even fried whole with some chilli oil. MMm!
  • elona
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you will forgive the pun- mushrooms taste quite "meaty" and filling.

Cauliflower cheese?
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business