AOL holding me to ransom!

Options
Hi All

I am so annoyed with my broadband provider, AOL, and I don't know if there is anything legally I can do to resolve it.

Basically I received a letter from AOL stating that due to THEIR billing system errors I had been undercharged for my AOL usage and that they would be re-couping all the underpayment back in one go on my next billing date along with my usual billing amount. I pay £24.99 for AOL Broadband usage and the letter I have received from AOL (dated 1st Feb) states I owe them £49.98 and this will be taken on my next billing date (12th Feb) along with my usual £24.99 payment.

I rang AOL to complain stating that it was not my fault they have not been paid and that I was willing to pay back the underpayment but that I could not afford to pay an extra £49.98 in one go with 6 days notice. Each month I have direct debits set up to pay all my bills and I have the exact amount of money in the bank to pay these bills and I cannot magic up £50 from nowhere to pay for their error. After speaking to a manager there they said there was nothing they could do, they would not take a part-payment and that they would be taking the money in my next billing date. I explained I would therefore have to inform my bank not to allow them to do this as this would mean I would not have enough money to pay my other bills and would be issued with bank charges as I would be over-drawn if this took out this amount. The reply from the AOL manager - well if I did inform my bank to do this then they would suspend my AOL account and I would not any broadband access until it had been paid.

I am so annoyed and upset and feel I am being held to ransom for their mistake. There has been no compromise from AOL even though I suggested possibly paying £10 extra per month until it was repaid. I really want to cancel with them but I renewed my contract in November and I am tied into an 18 month contract so I really feel I have been done over by AOL.

Any legal people on here who could give me some advice on where I stand and whether there would be any possibility of cancelling my AOL contract?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• yaye
    yaye Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry I don't have any specific advice (although I'm surprised they wont accept your offer. Maybe you can escalate it to someone higher up. Did you speak to the Irish or the Indian call centre. I've heard the Irish one is the way to go). Also (if you can't get out of the contract) have a look at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=636923 .£24 seems a lot (unless you had the ps3/laptop offer).

If you happen to be in the Birmingham area, this is the sort of thing the radio presenter Ed Doolan might be able to help with ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/articles/2006/03/13/ed_doolan_feature.shtml ). There's probably an equivalent 'consumer affairs' presenter in most areas.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    I think they have to give 30 days notice under the direct debit guarantee, you could ring up the bank and ask for it back
  • Merlot
    Merlot Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Options
    AOL are the absolute pits, I signed up with there broadband service for 12 months, used it for 3 months and then the service stopped, could I cancel the contract...nope, I tried everything, eventually they did get the service back working after a couple of weeks, but no refund....I left quickly after the contract ended and I would never recommend them to anyone. (apparently it turned out to be BTs problem with enabling the line, so no refund...)

OP, I hope you get your problem sorted, but I won't hold my breath.

Merlot.x.
    "Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does, except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place." — Abigail Van Buren
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    They tries the same stunt with me, as I had upgraded my package to the laptop offer, then £5.oo moth for inclusive calls,

When I rang, i got the |irsh call centre, and they said the email had been an error and not to worry the payment would be normal.

I am fuming with it, as beofre xmas they took out 2 months payments with a day in between, (as mine was originally the old style AOL they would only accpet credit cards), i ended up with £24.oo charges, but AOL did refund it Im waiting with avengenge to see what they actually tale out.

its not our fault as a consumer if they did not take the correct money.

Will update if i get any more info x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • alexbe1971
    Options
    I am having similar problems with Aol as when I have checked online my billing a few times it is the old amount of £24.99 instead of the new agreeded £9.99 & then when I contact them online I am told this is correct :mad:

However when I have phoned them I am told this is incorrect the problem will be storted out & my bank accounted re-credited.

This doesn't happen my bank charges me £25 for going overdrawn as I have no agreed overdraft & I back to square 1:mad: :mad:

I have even been told that one of the customer service assistant that dealt with my query in the past has been sacked:mad:

My wife & I have many arguements as she was happier with seperate internet/phone accounts which cost us less than what the current problems we are having is costing us.

We are having similar problems with BT and because we need BT line rental to use Aol Talk we are stuck with both:mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't know what do next apart from making a complaint to Ofcom & BBC's Watchdog:confused:
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    If you are paying by direct debit and they have took too much money speak to your bank they will refund under the direct debit guarantee
  • ridbar
    Options
    Well I am at the end of my tether.

Having been a customer for many years (since 2001) I am now faced with possibly the worst customer service from any institution in the UK (aside from banks) and currently in the throes of pursuing a claim for overcharging, continuous lack of internet service (at times very sporadic - now almost 2 months without any connection whatsoever), high-rate 0870 charges to un-answered / un-helpful call centres and downright lies with regards to cancelling or trying to demand my MAC code. As I work full-time, I haven't had the time to check and notice further charges for TIME magazine subs which weren't ordered either.

Upon speaking to other customers the above traits seem to be common practice, with a number of friends also having been without connection for the past few weeks. In turn the bank won't cancel either, as AOL aren't billing through direct debit, but drawing direct from my account...

In the meantime, despite being still being billed by AOL, I am now with Virgin cable at £4.50/month (some £13.49 cheaper).

Therefore, I recommend that anybody thinks twice about dealing with this company, Talk Talk, Car Phone Warehouse or any of their affiliates !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure