Phone number for your pc - FREE incoming calls!

Well this may be attractive to everyone involved in VOIP:

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/index.php

This site allows you to have a phone number for your pc. You can choose if its an area code number, 0845 or 0870 number...

All you need to do is sign up, and then download a program called X-Lite (for free with instructions on the sipgate site).

This then allows people to call that number at normal local rate charges and it will ring on your pc and using a headset or microphone and speakers, you can talk through your pc.

For free you can also set up voicemail and check it from wherever you are in the world as well.

Optionally you can upload credit and make calls world wide for a much cheaper charge.

Out of experience the quality is excellent. Very easy to understand people.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
[/FONT]

Comments

• Matt`_5
    Matt`_5 Posts: 812 Forumite
    X-Lite can be downloaded at: http://www.xten.com/index.php?menu=products&smenu=xlite&ssmenu=download

How to configure X-Lite: https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/configuration.php?show_conf=xlite

I have just configured sipgate, its well good :)
  • Matt, thanks for that configuration of xlite link. I wanted to post it but couldn;t find it hehe!

Sipgate is indeed well good! Its just an extra personal phone number. No doubt I'll be telling parents and friends to ring me on it while Im at uni to avoid arguments over the normal landline there!

Bril piece of kit
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    [/FONT]
  • Matt`_5
    Matt, thanks for that configuration of xlite link. I wanted to post it but couldn;t find it hehe!

Sipgate is indeed well good! Its just an extra personal phone number. No doubt I'll be telling parents and friends to ring me on it while Im at uni to avoid arguments over the normal landline there!

Bril piece of kit

Yeah i got another local number now :D
  • Yup!!! I believe you can get a local number for a different city as well! So at the moment I live in Aylesbury (01296) but i can get an (0113) Local Leeds number!!!

Great stuff! lol
    [/FONT]
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,254
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Great Find Thanks.

Just a little hint tho.

when registering, after selecting local, 0845 or 0870 it will take you to a screen that displays the phone number that you will get. If it's an easy to remember one then go for it if not hit the back button and select the same code selection and it'll give you a different phone number.

Do this till you get a more memorable number.

Why not come back and tell us what number you got (If it's a good one) without the area code.

Good luck and well done Mercilesskiller

Riz
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • Rockee
    Rockee Posts: 217 Forumite
    As a person who is trying to get his head round VOIP. If you register with sipgate, can you call skype members for free or are these 2 slighty different systems (competitors)?
  • Matt`_5
    Rockee wrote:
    As a person who is trying to get his head round VOIP. If you register with sipgate, can you call skype members for free or are these 2 slighty different systems (competitors)?

I think you can call anyone on the net for free
  • weymuffred
    weymuffred Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    How do you get a local number that has your city dial code?
    I can only get an 0845 number. :confused:
    Have you got a job yet? :think:

NO? Then :shhh:
  • Rockee wrote:

No. Skype uses a messenger system so you call a user name, not an ID.

Sipgate uses User Identification Keys, thus you can not call free between them as far as I am aware.

As for the phone number thing, at the option screen to configure your account, click "change phone number" and your given the option of area code, 0870 or 0845.

Everyone else had ;)
    [/FONT]
  • weymuffred
    weymuffred Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    No. Skype uses a messenger system so you call a user name, not an ID.

Sipgate uses User Identification Keys, thus you can not call free between them as far as I am aware.

As for the phone number thing, at the option screen to configure your account, click "change phone number" and your given the option of area code, 0870 or 0845.

Everyone else had ;)

I go to my account and click on change phone number and it takes me to the screen where you can choose either 0845 or 0870 or the german local thing
    Have you got a job yet? :think:

NO? Then :shhh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family