PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Onions & garlic

I was given a 10kg SACK(!!) of onions and a bag of 24 bulbs of garlic.

Used about 4 1/2 kg of onions and 3 bulbs of garlic to do a mamouth load of Curry_Queens curry sauce (22 portions). Freezer is now full.

But what do i do with 5kg of onions and another 21 bulbs of garlic? How long do they keep for? I can;t even give this stuff away to neighbours!

Comments

• DaisyNelson
    DaisyNelson Posts: 763 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    French onion soup?
    One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other
  • You could roast some of the garlic bulbs whole -

cut just the tip of the whole bulb off, so that you see the cloves inside, drizzle over some olive oil, herbs and black pepper. Sit it in a cup made from tin foil (keeps it upright) and bake it in a dish in a medium hot oven for 20 mins or so till soft.

The cloves will squeeze out like toothpaste, you can spread this on french bread, it's very mild, or make a garlic cream sauce with some creme fraiche and a little chicken knorr

Also you can make a mild garlic butter to freeze with these soft cloves beaten into soft butter - spread the roast garlic butter on a piece of baking parchment, chill, then cut into useable pieces, I cut one inch squares then freeze them in a bag. They can be put onto cooked veggies, jacket potatoes, or melted to brush a roasting chicken with etc
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You could peel the garlic bulbs and put them in a glass jar then fill it with vinegar so you can keep the garlic to use when you need it.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    the garlic butter idea sounds great - thanks
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    elona wrote:
    You could peel the garlic bulbs and put them in a glass jar then fill it with vinegar so you can keep the garlic to use when you need it.

what kind of vinegar do you use please?
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Zziggi wrote:
    But what do i do with 5kg of onions and another 21 bulbs of garlic? How long do they keep for? I can;t even give this stuff away to neighbours!
    Providing you keep them cool airy place out of bright light they should keep for several months so there should be no need to freeze them.

I always buy onions by the net and have never had any problem with them going off. Same goes with the garlic. If you think about it the onion harvest is only once a year so most of the onions you buy will have been stored. If you grow your own you dry off the onions after they have matured and string them up to keep them through the winter. So really there should be no need for panic measures.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I've just posted info on a thread about storage in the latest carrot thread. I'm sure that link will help you with storage of your onions and garlic too :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • elvis_bloggs
    elvis_bloggs Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I freeze my onions and garlic so they don't go off but if your freezer is full and you don't want to cook them then give them to a neighbour.
  • jordylass
    jordylass Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Onion Marmalade is delish with cheese, and easy to make, onions, brown sugar, balsmic vinegar, lemon juice, red wine or sherry.
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
  • cymro1170
    cymro1170 Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You could always plant the individual garlic cloves and get a bumper crop to sell - very easy to do - harvest them in December - can't remember when you plant them!

You can tell when they're ready as the tops of the leaves turn yellow!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure