Random calls from 070 numbers - WARNING! DON'T ANSWER OR CALL THEM

Options
Hello,
is anyone getting random calls from some 070 numbers on their mobiles? (I got a few from 07067310863 and 07053597802 over the past few weeks).

I didn't pick up when I got called the first few times but today I picked up to see what it could be and it hung up as soon as I picked up. It then called me back twice a couple of minutes later (presumably as it now knows my number is "live" and used by someone).

I won't call the number back as I suspect that's what they're hoping people will do - it could be a super premium rate call.

Does anyone else get these calls?

Comments

• klausington
    Options
    I got exactly the same thing last year - called me and when I answered, it hung up. I called it back and got a recorded message saying something along the lines of "You have one voice mail - please wait to be transferred....". Thought it might be dodgy so I hung up. Turns out it was a premium rate number and cost me a couple of quid on my bill. Dodgy little [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL]!
  • Totoriko
    Options
    I got exactly the same thing last year - called me and when I answered, it hung up. I called it back and got a recorded message saying something along the lines of "You have one voice mail - please wait to be transferred....". Thought it might be dodgy so I hung up. Turns out it was a premium rate number and cost me a couple of quid on my bill. Dodgy little b@stards!

Thanks for sharing this info.

Should this thread be made a sticky to warn everyone?
  • Intasun32
    Options
    Totoriko wrote: »
    Hello, is anyone getting random calls from some 070 numbers on their mobiles? (I got a few from 07067****** and 07053****** over the past few weeks).

AS this is yet another premium rate call scam make a complaint to Icstis/PhonePayPlus, or e-mail the CEO direct @ [EMAIL="gkidd@phonepayplus.org.uk"]gkidd@phonepayplus.org.uk[/EMAIL].

This is a scam so why not make the full numbers available ? :T
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    it's actually the master criminals who have the HMRC disks in their possession. By answering the phone you've unwittingly confirmed you're alive so they can cross reference with all your other details. By this evening, they will own your house and worldly possessions(if you have any children, you will also lose any rights over them, they'll be sent to work for the Government painstakingly copying all the lost details back onto the HMRC computers manually for eternity)

if you don't know a phone number, don't answer it, don't call it back. If they really want to get hold of you they'll leave a message. Simple really
  • Totoriko
    Totoriko Posts: 650 Forumite
    Options
    Woby_Tide wrote: »
    it's actually the master criminals who have the HMRC disks in their possession. By answering the phone you've unwittingly confirmed you're alive so they can cross reference with all your other details. By this evening, they will own your house and worldly possessions(if you have any children, you will also lose any rights over them, they'll be sent to work for the Government painstakingly copying all the lost details back onto the HMRC computers manually for eternity)

That's fine. I don't claim child benefits
  • wantmemoney
    Options
    if you don't know a phone number, don't answer it, don't call it back. If they really want to get hold of you they'll leave a message. Simple really
    Unfortunately there are many in the community who are trusting. They have no idea what these 070 numbers are and it would never cross their minds that so called "reputable" companies would set out to rip them off.

07067310863 and 07053597802
    • This is classified as being used for Personal Numbers.
    • It is provided by 7Tel Ltd..
    7Tel Ltd know who the scammers are.
    Ofcom could easily find out who the scammers are.

Ofcom should get off their fat scam friendly regulating back sides and bloody well do something.

"Simple really"
  • grounos
    Options
    Totoriko wrote: »
    Hello,
    is anyone getting random calls from some 070 numbers on their mobiles? (I got a few from 07067310863 and 07053597802 over the past few weeks).

I didn't pick up when I got called the first few times but today I picked up to see what it could be and it hung up as soon as I picked up. It then called me back twice a couple of minutes later (presumably as it now knows my number is "live" and used by someone).

I won't call the number back as I suspect that's what they're hoping people will do - it could be a super premium rate call.

Does anyone else get these calls?

Hello,

A girl pretending that she likes my son she gave him her number
    07099821105 and in a weeks time my bill reached 550 pounds!!!
    How they allow these people to get these numbers and rob our money?
    Is anything I can do?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    070 numbers are generally used as forwarding numbers to allow calls to 'follow' an individual at any time. Calls are directed to this 070 number when the individual or company's landline or mobile number is called.
    Other acceptable uses of these numbers are to advertise a product for sale or to promote a service � for example selling a car or advertising a plumbing service. They may also be used to provide a number that patients in hospital can use to allow relatives to directly contact the patient at the bedside. We cannot investigate complaints referring to these acceptable uses of 070.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure