Eastenders Peggy - What Have You Done!

I just wanted to say that although it's a soap, I've been in a similar position to Peggy, in total despair and without any good advice or guidance. I know there are a lot of people out there who are also in debt with what they believe is no feasible or realistic way of paying any of it back, so good on Eastenders for highlighting this issue, hopefully showing people what 'not' to do.

'Felix' is not regulated by the FSA and is clearly not giving Peggy the sound advice that is needed here. Essentially, he is buying the pub from her, consolidating her debts and then renting the place back to her at an extortionate rate with interest so high it'll make her eyes bleed.

If anyone is in a similar position I would urge them to seek properly regulated advice from an authorised body, and most of all to talk about the situation. Being in debt is an awful thing, and although it's easier said than done, it is nothing to be ashamed about. Shame results in people keeping what they consider to be dirty little secrets away from people who can actually help.

I'm probably preaching to the converted by posting this on the DFW thread, but my heart goes out to all those who are in a similar situation, including fictional characters like Peggy.

Talk about your financial problems, don't look for an easy quick fix and don't be ashamed. There are always people out there who will genuinely help you and will try to make things better - not least the very helpful people here on the DFW thead.:T Perhaps the first step would be to post here and then take it from there.

Martin, as always, this site is invaluable, and I commend you for setting up MSE and helping more people than you know. :beer:

threadbanner.gif
OGB - Queen of Bling baby...:A

Comments

• I know what you mean... even ste was nearly shouting at the tv.. I really hope they highlight that what she did was completely wreckless and that she gets the right advice because it would be awful for them to not show how to get help the right way..
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • MissKJ
    MissKJ Posts: 780 Forumite
    Well i don't watch eastenders, and if I did I doubt I would admit to it!! Only ,kidding, if it brings an important issue into the arena for people to talk about then it can only be good. Does it have advice about debts problems at the end referring watchers to support if they are also having difficulties?
    unsecured Debts at [strike]August 2007 £79,984[/strike] September £79,579 [STRIKE]Snowballing date July 2013[/STRIKE].

May 2009, £76,772 unsecured debts

DMP started Dec 2008, End date at start 2133!
  • They normally have the voiceover guy saying something like 'if you've been affected by anything shown in tonights program call this freephone number'...
    so fingers crossed the people will make use of that should they need it!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I expect it's building up to an appearance by Martin Lewis - who will reccomend this forum to Peggy and save the day. :T :T

Either that, or Grant will come back and knock seven bales of brown stuff out of 'Felix'. :rotfl: :rotfl:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • GingerSte
    GingerSte Posts: 2,486 Forumite
    Did they do the public information bit at the end?

I have to admit I don't generally like Eastenders, but I hope the producers show what a mess those shysters like Felix can get you in, and then show you how you can actually get out of the mess by dealing with reputable bodies (read: CAB and CCCS).

(Part of me also hopes that Felix gets a good kicking for his trouble also. Is that wrong?)
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've not watched eastenders in years, but you lot have made me with all this chatter about peggy. She isn't actually going to sign the pub away is she? MARTIN???? can't you do something? I think we need to lobby martin to go and visit the queen vic, I can't sit by and do nothing, this woman need our help!!

What? It's just pretend? Ugh, next you'll be telling me that there isn't a queen fairy with a crown made of my teeth :rolleyes:
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • sammy115
    sammy115 Posts: 15,267 Forumite
    But did she actually sign those docs though. Did I miss something. I don't think she did.

Don't be too sympathetic....it looked like she was pulling a dodgy robbery at the end of the programme to me! (not that i watched it of course *cough*)
    Quality is doing something right when no one is looking - Henry Ford
  • rog2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Toto wrote: »
    I've not watched eastenders in years, What? It's just pretend? Ugh, next you'll be telling me that there isn't a queen fairy with a crown made of my teeth :rolleyes:

Sorry to 'shatter the myth', Toto, but Eastenders really is ONLY 'pretend'.
    Now Coronation Street, on the other hand........ :rotfl: :rotfl:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

• ollyk
    ollyk Posts: 597 Forumite
    Unfortunately I have to put up with the depressing !!!! that is Eastenders nearly everyday and I for one would be happy if the Mitchell's disappeared :)

It is interesting to see the real issues being addressed on telly (and in my opinion long overdue) but I feel it important to see Peggy sort this out in a legitimate manner as suggested above.. Hope I am wrong but why do I get the feeling the solution, in typical Eastenders style, will involve Phil doing a Darth Vader neck grip on the loan shark?
  • rog2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ollyk wrote: »
    Hope I am wrong but why do I get the feeling the solution, in typical Eastenders style, will involve Phil doing a Darth Vader neck grip on the loan shark?

Because that's the way the Scriptwriters solve EVERYTHING in Eastenders - I'm sure they REALLY believe that the East End of London is STILL populated purely by KRAY Brother Wannabees. :rolleyes:
    When was there EVER a 'feel good' plot in 'Walford'? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport