March 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Evening everyone

GC been completely overtaken for me by the death this afternoon of my boss and very close friend. 10 years younger than me and leaving two young children. I've been knocked sideways, and gotta go to work tomorrow and put on a face for the public :(:(:(:(

Will report spends tomorrow when I can think straight.
    Dor
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Evening everyone

GC been completely overtaken for me by the death this afternoon of my boss and very close friend. 10 years younger than me and leaving two young children. I've been knocked sideways, and gotta go to work tomorrow and put on a face for the public :(:(:(:(

S_Wales_Saver - my thoughts are with you.

rosieben - so sorry to hear your sad news, thinking of you

I will log back on later and update my spends.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    S_Wales_Saver - I'm sorry to hear your sad news.

Just logged on to say I'm now about £10 over and I have used all my T*sco vouchers (it had to be done - now I'm saving them for Xmas...honestly!).
    Now into damage limitation but shouldn't be too bad.
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Evening everyone

So sorry to hear your news, it always knocks you sideways when friends (especially much younger friends) are taken away suddenly. My thoughts are with you, Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Sorry to hear your news S Wales Saver.

Spent another £15 odd today at the Co Op. A few of the things I needed but some like 2 lots of reduced haddock fillet, I just got because it will provide some variety to our large amount of chicken.
    I'm just looking at my receipt though as I really didn't seem to have that much & was wondering how it got to that much. I bought 15 items so I suppose at an average of £1 an item, it wasn't bad particularly as that was for the fish plus olive oil.

I have just spoken to my DS 's school about his food requirements on his over-night trip he is going on. As he is diabetic & had Coeliac disease they asked if I could provide him with gluten free snacks but in the end we agreed that I would provide bread, cereal & snacks - sugary & non sugary. I really don't mind as I will not worry so much if I know he has some of his usual foods with him but do wonder what the school would expect for a longer duration trip!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    NSD today - just as well as I am already over budget.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • lizbob
    lizbob Posts: 128
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Haven't been on the challenge for a few months but budgeting with a vengeance from now on.

please put me down for £200 for 2 adults including cleaning, toilettries and booze
    my month starts on the 25th.
    thanks!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Afternoon all

So sorry to here your sad news Rosieben and SW saver

At last we have had a couple of dry days :j-I hope it lasts as hubby has next week of -so we plan to get the patio sorted and get all the pots set up so I can get my veggies under way :D-Im late starting but since the weather has been so bad, there was no point starting stuff off just for it to get ruined... can't wait to get started :D

Anyway -my new month starts tomorrow -but Im planning on doing a shop tomorrow (as part of March) as I have plenty left in my budget and Id hate to start April off with a big shop :p

We are another pair that are adjusting our eating to shift some "wobble" :rotfl:-so the spends may go up a bit - but I figure that not buying choc etc will free up cash to spend on other yummy things ;) -so instead of hubbies salted peanuts I will buy mixed nuts and make bread sticks etc... and Well I allready eat enough fruit to keep a baby gorilla happy :p
    Im cutting down on the carbs (Im a serious carb junky :o) so Im increasing the protein ......we allready eat loads of veggies/salad
    Tonight is one of the rare occasions that me n hubby are eating differently... Im making him the special egg fried rice dish he loves (great for using odds n sods too ;)) and I do extra as he likes to take the extra cold for his lunch... Im having Thai steamed salmon (hubby isn't keen on salmon and its my fave dish) -I have it ready to stick in the steamer later with some steamed veggies nomnomnomnom :rotfl:
    Im not sure if I have posted the recipe before -so just in case here is the scaled down for 1 version:-
    1. 1/2 onion finely sliced (red is best -but white are fine)
    2. 1tbs fish sauce
    3. 1tbs soft dark brown sugar
    4. 1 clove garlic -finely sliced
    5. 1" chunk of ginger cut into fine sticks
    • throw them all in a small sauce pan over a low heat -and cook until the sugar has dissolve and the onions have just started to soften
    • grab a square of foil and place the salmon fillet on (I use the iceland frozen, skinless, bonless ones) -
    • pile on the onion mix and wrap up tight
    • then place in a medium oven until the salmon is cooked through -tonight Im sticking it in the steamer
    It sounds an odd concoction -but the sweet, salty, hot flavour works so well with the creamy salmon .
    Oh and I find its better if made in advance and left in the fridge for a couple of hours -or overnight -great as you can prepare it the night before if you are busy and just whack it in the oven at the last minute :T

Right I had better get off and update..have a good day everyone:D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Very pleased with myself as today's weekly shop was just £22.85 for 2 adults and 2 children :T
    Makes up for my disastrous leftover challenge yesterday. Had some leftover rice so found a recipe online which was for a baked rice pudding. It was horrible! Waste of the rice plus sugar and two eggs. Ah well...
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300

• remmie
    remmie Posts: 122
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Rosiben and SW Saver - thinking of you both

I haven't been posting as I thought I'd gone over my budget quite a lot, but when adding up the receipts I had a surprise to find out that yes, I am over but only by £2. Maybe a little lesson there in adding up receipts and not burying head in sand :D

My challenge doesn't end until April 1st, but I'm hoping not to go shopping again before then. Any Easter spends can come out of next months budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure