MSE News: Final nail in PruHealth's free gym offer

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Thousands of fitness fanatics who signed up to a free gym offer by buying medical insurance can no longer work out at their club for nothing ..."

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• The new gym policy is completely against the ethos that Pruhealth started on - to benefit those who kept themselves healthy by giving them cheaper healthcare and other benefits.
    I'm up for renewal in February and just read through the policy updates, and have the feeling they are doing a 'one size fits all' system, where the benefits for those who look after their health and fitness benefit the same amount as those who don't bother.
    My highlights from the changes to the 'Vitality scheme'
    * 40 points max per week - I guess that's good to encourage regular exercise (used to be 150 max per month) but no longer takes into account holidays...
    * active-europe benefits used to be 50 points for a normal event (e.g. running race <20km), or 100 for a bigger one (e.g. running >20km). Now it's 10 points and 20 points respectively.... so if I ran a marathon (which I do, regularly), I get the same as someone who walked 25,000 steps over 2 days, or turned up at the gym twice. Hardly encouraging me to run is it? (Not that it'll stop me...I love running marathons!). Or..if you buy some fitness equipment off ebay, that's the same as running at least a half marathon. My mouse-clicking fingers have never felt so fit!
    * Screening - this used to be dirt cheap for Platinum members - ultimately if you've done enough to be Platinum, then you'll (hopefully) be fit enough to not have that much wrong with you - now a across-the-board 50% off. Fine, the incentive for that's gone.
    * From next year I'll get 3 months free, plus around 30% of my premium back (52.5% off if they apply 3 months, then 30% off the rest), vs. 100% from my previous platinum earnings. Why is it no longer an incentive to keep myself fit?

There's probably a few minor ones too.

I opted out of my company healthcare scheme as Pruhealth worked out best in the long run...but now I'm seriously going back - there's probably better schemes out there that compare to Pruhealth or are cheaper...

Maybe they'll change their mind in the next year (over the 4 years I've been with them they change their minds every 6 or so months) and improve, but is it worth waiting for?
  • In answer to your highlighted points:

* 40 points max per week - actually this equates to 52x40 pts/wk, so 2080 for the year rather than the previous 1500 annual limit. So more chance to earn points

* active-europe benefits used to be 50 points for a normal event (e.g. running race <20km), or 100 for a bigger one (e.g. running >20km). Now it's 10 points and 20 points respectively.... so if I ran a marathon (which I do, regularly), I get the same as someone who walked 25,000 steps over 2 days, or turned up at the gym twice. Hardly encouraging me to run is it?
    Ok, so tell me you run a marathon with no training? If you do regularly run marathons as you say, the fitbug or polar will earn you 10 points each training run. Looks like the increase to 2080 will benefit you in particular.......

* Screening - this used to be dirt cheap for Platinum members - ultimately if you've done enough to be Platinum, then you'll (hopefully) be fit enough to not have that much wrong with you - now a across-the-board 50% off. Fine, the incentive for that's gone.
    The incentive? To check your health? Surely that's to make sure you're healthy! Actually, depending on the type of screen you could now earn more points and at Bronze status (which many people are I imagine), it's now cheaper. Surely from a clinical point of view, it's more important to get that bronze couch potato in for a screen than heavily reward a platinum member who knows he or she is hopefully healthy anyway?
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, I'm a platinum member and although I don't get free gym membership at Virgin, I do get it for £7/mth with my Pru subs being £8/mth. I'm on the most basic of policies as I subscribe to help motivate me to keep healthy/exercise. I've never made a claim. I go to the gym regularly and also used Fitbug a lot in the past (though hardly at all atm as I'm pregnant with twins so have replaced my regular walking with swimming at the gym).

My question is can I/should I claim for my pregnancy (I wasn't going to before the changes because i didn't want to lose my no claims status). I think I get a payout on pregnancy (?£100). Now the benefits of platinum membership aren't so great is it worth me claiming for this which would offset the increase in my fees next year? My membership is up for renewal end of August and the twins are due early May.

TIA
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Anybody considering leaving Pruhealth, or indeed changing any private medical insurance policy, should beware in particular if they have developed a medical condition whilst with Pru. It's unlikely that a new policy will cover these. Additionally there may be waiting periods for other conditions which should be taken into account
  • * 40 points max per week - actually this equates to 52x40 pts/wk, so 2080 for the year rather than the previous 1500 annual limit. So more chance to earn points

Ok, 'guru' - I'll give you that, it encourages regular exercise...

Ok, so tell me you run a marathon with no training?

I've done virtually no training in the last year for 4 out of the 5 marathons I ran last year...

If you do regularly run marathons as you say

If you are the 'guru' as you say - can you please point me to other healthcare plans that could benefit me, or are you a spokesperson/affiliate of Pruhealth? (sorry, I find your suggestive tone of voice offensive)

the fitbug or polar will earn you 10 points each training run. Looks like the increase to 2080 will benefit you in particular.......

Ok, so looking over my race calendar from the least 12 months, I can claim 850 points from 10 events...which are now worth 165 points. When I train I go as light as possible, so during the start of my year I'll train with my fitbug...just for the points....so with the new regime that's at least 69 more training sessions with the fitbug?

Whilst we're here, since you're answering my highlighted points, what's your answer to:
    * From next year I'll get 3 months free, plus around 30% of my premium back (52.5% off if they apply 3 months, then 30% off the rest), vs. 100% from my previous platinum earnings. Why is it no longer an incentive to keep myself fit?

I look forward to your responses 'guru'
  • Musicman
    Musicman Posts: 84 Forumite
    In answer to your highlighted points:

* 40 points max per week - actually this equates to 52x40 pts/wk, so 2080 for the year rather than the previous 1500 annual limit. So more chance to earn points

Well for a joint membership it is a serious change, as my wife & I could quite easily obtain the maximum amount of points & achieve Platinum status. With this new regime, it will be very difficult as previously I could easily obtain the maximum points per month, in future it will be difficult, as I am often away on business and so will not be able to catch up if I miss a week.

Looks like I will be walking come September when my renewal is up. I have even lost interest in trying to maintain my Platinum membership as what is the point, if I will not be renewing due to the major changes in the program
  • If you are the 'guru' as you say - can you please point me to other healthcare plans that could benefit me, or are you a spokesperson/affiliate of Pruhealth? (sorry, I find your suggestive tone of voice offensive)

No, I'm not an affiliate or spokesperson for Pruhealth, and I'm sorry but I don't mean to offend you. I can point you in the direction of other healthcare plans yes, it entirely depends on your circumstances and financial situation. Perhaps you would like to message me privately and I can give you some tailored advice?

Whilst we're here, since you're answering my highlighted points, what's your answer to:

The incentive is still there, albeit different. As far as I understand it yes you'll earn 3 months of this year's premium back, plus up to 30% next year if you don't claim. It entirely depends on your premium, but you may well not get as good a deal as you have had previously. What you need to do is compare the new premium Pruhealth are offering against what you can get elsewhere. I think that although it may not be as good as previously, it will still be better than many other insurers can offer you.

In terms of the incentive to keep yourself fit, from a financial point of view, your 3 months free is an incentive, plus all the discounts related to Platinum vitality membership, eg Eurostar for £10 return, Champneys for £35/night, 40% off Mark Warner holidays, Cineworld discounts etc. By far and away though, the incentive to keep yourself fit should surely be to a live longer, healthier and happier life.
  • !!!!!! - got my letter today, from zero to £37 a month to use my gym!! plus the £4.50 a month for my pru as I am a platinum points person. £41.50 a month in total now - £500 a year which I don't have. Guess I have had something for nothing for over 2 years. I will probably carry on with the pru for 1 more year if the premiums stay the same - £55 for the year.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm going to sound really stupid here as I need some help understanding this. I know it sounds mad to ask on here but I need to try to find a cheaper gym membership then £70 a month (LAFitness- and don't want to return to LAfitness anyway!) Virgin gyms sound nice and the best offer I can find is £74 a month using an offer discount. (Normal price is £89 a month which is too much by far!)

What exactly does pru-health offer? I know you pay every month for health cover (which I'm thinking varies?) do you have to state all your health conditions? or just not mention any and never claim (I have quite a few health issues but just want to lower the cost of the gym)
    Then when you have the monthly fee, how does it discount the gym? I know its no longer free, but what is the discount? I do go to the gym quite often (and maybe too much) so would this mean a higher discount? or is it a set price?

Am in London if its any difference and had been quoted £89 a month, then found a discount in the Metro for 12 months for the price of 10 bringing the cost to £74 a month
  • QQuaver
    QQuaver Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    !!!!!! - got my letter today, from zero to £37 a month to use my gym!! plus the £4.50 a month for my pru as I am a platinum points person. £41.50 a month in total now - £500 a year which I don't have. Guess I have had something for nothing for over 2 years. I will probably carry on with the pru for 1 more year if the premiums stay the same - £55 for the year.
    £4.50 a month for my pru? When is your renewal? Sounds like you got 100% discount from last years premium. I thought they a discontinuing that:confused:

Is your gym Nuffield?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport