Great "How To Tell Family We Need To MoneySave" Hunt

What's the problem?

You want, or need, to tell your spouse, parent or children that there is a need to save cash and cut back, but you're finding it impossible, they don't want to listen. So how do you convince them it's time to learn how to be a MoneySaver?

What to do?

I'd like to tap MoneySavers' wealth of experience to put together a database of tips on how to do it. If you've successfully convinced someone to become a savvier consumer let me know.

Click reply to add your experiences/suggestions
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Tondella
    Tondella Posts: 934 Forumite
    I showed my OH how much money we were spending servicing our debts (minimum repayments) and calculated that he could afford to run the car of his dreams or go on a city break once a month on the money we were giving to credit card companies. That focused his mind.

Then i showed him that with a bit of effort we could have them paid off in two years. Until that point i think he thought that it would take so long to be debt free it wasn't worth trying.
    Debt Oct 2005: £32,692.94
    Current debt: £14,000.00
    Debt free date: June 2008
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I agree with TOndella, projections are excellent way of getting people on board.

My OH has seen how much money Ive made through selling stuff and generally moneysaving, and as a result we know we will be almost 600 per month better off when we are debt free. Which will be spent on a home abroad, holidays, meals out or generally wasted on clothes.

By then though I suppose we will be too tight to spend it!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Something tangible helps I think. I'm lucky to be in a position to not have to cut back (no debt) but still I want to maximise my savings for future big expenses (house, wedding, holidays etc) so I'm a big fan of MSE!

My OH just couldn't quite get why I would bother buying stuff via cashback websites or with a cashback card, to him it was just something else to have to remember so not worth it seeing as we're not in debt. That was until I had my first cheque through the post from Greasypalm! He was genuinely surprised that an actual cheque for actual money had appeared just because I'd made the effort to use one website rather than another.

Now I still can't necessarily get him to use that kind of thing himself, but at least he's stopped telling me I'm some weird money obsessive!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We are thinking of scraping together enough for a bigger house and DH told our daughters that we would all have to "tighten our belts".

Response was that we are hardly extravagent as it is so where could we possibly cut back?

I have a feeling that I will be re reading the thread on cheap meals etc.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    my husband seems to have come round only after i could show him big savings. saved £200 on home insurance. He was so impressed that he did all the work to save £50 on AA renewal. the little stuff doesn't seem to impress him though.
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Keeping a strict spending diary and a simple spreadsheet showing incoming and outgoing expenditure works well, especially for the 'pointless' spending. Then show the person you are trying to convince. Scary seeing exactly how much money you waste.

threadbanner.gif
  • SAP_Saver
    SAP_Saver Posts: 186 Forumite
    I found that showing how much was wasted on BAD PRODUCTS and how much can be saved just by being selective about who you use to provide the products - from shopping at TESCO not Sainsburys, getting the loose veg and not the plastic pre-packed... to spending a couple of hours checking house insurance and car insurance not just taking the first one you find!

Deepest Debt - £13,000+
    Debt Now - £0
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Putting a picture of the next big purchase we need to make on the fridge...constant reminder that's it's worth the few extra minutes hunting for the best deal on everyday items.
    threadbanner.gif
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • sarah*a
    sarah*a Posts: 2,778
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My darling OH thinks I'm touched in the head because most of the christmas present shopping has already been done in the sales. He says the gifts 'clutter up the house'.

So I told him in 2007 I'd buy everything in a big xmas shop in december. He was all for it until I explained that we wouldn't be able to go on holiday in 2008 - as we wouldn't be able to afford it.

We struggle with the money we have - but he doesn't see the 'big picture' - he just sees what cash we have at that moment. For example - we have £10, I see a perfect gift that I know DD wants for b'day/xmas and its majorly reduced. I will buy it and save - he would rather wait until we had £20 and buy it - even if it costs 3 times as much.

hope that makes sense! :confused:

He is starting to come round to the fact that we can either live day to day with an OK lifestyle - or stick to a budget and have a couple of weeks of luxury every year!

:cool:
    threadbanner.gif
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    My OH was converted when I showed him how much could be made via Quidco.com - in one (best ever) month I made £108 - so he asked me to open an account for him and is now making his own money, plus he liked the spreadsheet I put together. Looking at the colour charts on the spreadsheet was more effective for him than just numbers, so we have kept the spreadsheet going, and even passed it on to y'all MSER's - below!
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business