Great Tips to Cut Postage Costs Hunt

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
What's it all about?

As you may've seen advertised on TV recently, the way some postage costs are calculated is changing on 21 August with post being calculated depending on size and weight rather than just weight. There's more detailed info about exactly which prices are changing on the Royal Mail website including an online demonstration.

What to do?

So I thought I'd tap MoneySavers' wealth of experience and knowledge to compile a list of top tips on how to cut your postage costs.

Click reply to give your ideas or discuss

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• nilocmac
    nilocmac Posts: 507
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Fold over A4 sheets of paper (they become A5) so that you can send them as letters rather than small packets under the new scheme. :money:
  • wileycat
    wileycat Posts: 2,285
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    On letters up to A5 you'll now get up to 100g for the 32p level! So make the most of the letter size, if its machineable letter size it'll get sorted and delivered quicker!
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I was told by PO that when posting a magazine, leave both ends open unsealed as its cheaper, please dont ask me why.
  • ukmonkey
    ukmonkey Posts: 3,024
    Forumite
    Guys, please don't make posts that are conspiring to commit fraud.

Ways to get around paying for postage at all are not what Martin intended to be posted on this thread, not only this, but you'd be breaking the law by carrying out these "tricks" too!
  • ukmonkey
    ukmonkey Posts: 3,024
    Forumite
    If you are sending DVD's/CD's perhaps try sending them without a "DVD style" case, instead put them in a plastic sleeve, and then perhaps in a board-backed envelope...

I don't mean if its a retail dvd/cd!

If I put, for example, my holiday snaps on a cd for you, I'd send it to you in a plastic sleeve instead of in a "dvd style" case.

If I were selling you a DVD Movie on eBay for example, I'd send it to you in the "proper" case (although you'd pay the postage).
  • Seesaw_2
    Seesaw_2 Posts: 183 Forumite
    Costco sell stamps in bulk (sorry, not sure on qualities) and they were around 4p cheaper each
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Simply send an email, its faster, cheaper and has a lot more chance of getting to its reciever. ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Stamp dealers can buy them at a substantial discount to the face price. I sell quite a bit on ebay and I buy packs of 100 stamps from [email protected] and find them reliable and much cheaper than post office prices.

Mr T
  • meerustar
    meerustar Posts: 8,560
    Forumite
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/r...diaId=22700472

Here you can order up to 3 postage size guides for FREE so you can check your mail before you post.

HTH
  • edina
    edina Posts: 178 Forumite
    I WORK FOR THE Royal Mail & if i was sorting such mail, it would be put in the surcharge box, so the person that is being sent the mail would have a £1 surcharge added on. Also doing things like this will only make RM loose money, hence put prices up again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure