PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Preserver's Year

Options

Comments

• thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is a good Mary Berry recipe where you add the simmered peel of 12 satsumas (saved in the freezer as trhe family eat them) to a can of Mamade - it makes a nice easy marmelade.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • Janine2225
    Options
    There is a good Mary Berry recipe where you add the simmered peel of 12 satsumas (saved in the freezer as trhe family eat them) to a can of Mamade - it makes a nice easy marmelade.

Errr to make me sound even denser....whats mamade?!!:o
  • Janine2225
    Options
    npsmama wrote: »
    Yes, you can.
    just be aware that the result won't be as flavoursome that's all.

I was going to do a marmalade with some orange liquer I have lurking in my wine rack, do a boozy version, would this be the one to do it with then....to disguise the lack of natural flavour?
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :j :j OH went picking and got me some elderberries. Except (sssshhhhhhh), I have no idea what to do with them! Help meeeee

Picked some more brambles so contemplating freezing some more and have plums from the plum tree and the 2 apple trees are now suspiciously ripening. Busy busy weekend here.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    misskool wrote: »
    :j :j OH went picking and got me some elderberries. Except (sssshhhhhhh), I have no idea what to do with them! Help meeeee

Hedgerow jelly;)

What to do with elderberries

You can freeze them until you decide what to do with them.
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone stone and skin plums before making jam from them?
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    npsmama wrote: »
    I've just found out that preserving rhubarb is very, very easy: cut rhubarb into chunks. Place in a sterilised Kilner-type jar. Pour cold water in jar. Place rubber ring in position. Close jar. Store it upside down and voila! The acidity of the rhubarb preserves it.
    :j

Good tip.

Talking about it being the "acidity" of the rhubard that does the preserving...what about the acidity in other fruit?

presumably this would also work with plums for instance?

To clarify - with the mention of the rubber ring above - I guess you mean the clip-top jars? I'm guessing both the "preserving" jars and the "kilner" jars would do for this?
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know of a way to preserve cooking apples until one is ready to use them - ie one that doesnt involve using the freezer (as its jammed full!) or using sugar?

a. Presumably one can wrap them individually in newspaper and store in "trays" - the same as eating apples?

b. Can one store them bottled in water in a "kilner" or "preserving" jar?

c. What about drying them? (I do have a dehydrator)
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It depends on the variety of cooking apple. Some don't keep well enough for storing in paper.

I wouldn't store them in water in a jar. The water wouldn't be preserved and would go off.

Drying them might be ok. I've never used dried apple slices reconstituted though, so I don't know how well they would cook up.
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all
    Mangos are 29p each in Aldi and 39p each in Lidl at the moment.

If you fancy making mango chutney here is my recipe

Mango Chutney
    500 g sugar (I use preserving sugar with pectin in it as I like a jam-like consistency)
    600ml vinegar (if you use ready spiced vinegar cut back on the chilli)
    5 cm piece peeled ginger chopped very finely
    1kg peeled mango chopped into chunks (8 mangoes)
    1 dessertspoon - 1 tablespoon chilli- depend how hot you like it
    4 cloves garlic chopped finely
    2 teaspoons salt

Put the sugar and vinegar into a large pan and simmer for 5minutes.
    Make garlic and ginger into a paste with 2 tablespoons of the vinegar, using a food processor or (harder work!) a mortar and pestle.
    Add the paste to the pan and then simmer for a further 10 minutes
    Add the chopped mango and chilli, cook uncovered for about 30min until goes thick or you die of vinegar fumes
    Put in sterilized jars- the above will make about 5 200g jars
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure