August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,935
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for mentioning that programme, folks. Marked in diary for viewing. Hope it isn't one of these ridiculous ones where they have folks who normally spend £600+ a month for family of 4 and then show them how to do similar for £100 a week. :rolleyes: I'll not can afford to follow their recipes! :rotfl:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024

Spends to date: £632.45
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,613
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Nyk - Must admit that my first thought was that they'll probably have a much higher budget than folks on here. It's about time they followed some of the long time members of this challenge to set a real example to others...... but perhaps not, as we'd have more folks to contend with for our Whoospies then :rolleyes2
    Cheryl
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the Grocery Challenge - though have been meaning to do this for a while.

I have managed by 'being careful' to reduce my main weekly shop from £120 to £80 per week over the last 3 months or so, but I have no idea what extras we spend by visiting the local co-op for emergency bread, milk and all the other extras, and ideally I would be really happy to reduce this even more if possible.

Could I please be put down for £320 for this month to see how I go!

Thanks

Sorry just wanted to add that we are a family of 5 made up of 2 adults, and 3 boys aged 9, 4 and 2, and a baby girl due on 8th September :D

Hello and welcome....you have same size family and budget as me:) Well for now anyway - Congrats on your baby girl, due soon:D
    it starts on the 5th of august i was looking at it it looks interesting :) ..

well im half way through my second week and i am really proud of myself .. i have spent £124 but theres not another thing i need expect milk bread and maybe abit of fruit but im not getting til i completely run out as i use to top up without finishing ... i planned a whole month worth of meals and im sticking to it ... im back on top form and im loving it :D hope everyone else is doing well x

HELLO SM:hello:

Ooooops, I obviously am not 100% in the right frame of mind yet. I went to the local shops to get a few bits, and some butter for ds1 to make some biscuits, and threw away the receipt:o
    On the plus side the biscuits were really nice and very easy to make. They only came about because I had ordered Allinson wholemeal flour, instead on the Strong bread one:rolleyes: and the recipe was on the back.....we just needed the butter:)

Recipe
    Chocolate Biscuit Thins
    125g Butter
    50g Caster Sugar
    125g wholemeal flour
    25g Cocoa Powder

Cream sugar and butter then beat in the flour and cocoa.
    Make into 14(approx) small balls, put onto a greased oven tray and flatten down.
    Bake for 15mins @ 190C (Mine only took 10mins)

I am going to try them using splenda and lurpak light, to make a healthy version....I am 'supposed' to be on a diet Shhhhh

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    This mse keeps on at you even when your not looking:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:just remembered

When I was on my hols, went on lastminete.com
    got a room in London 1/2 price
    got a fantastic meal down the kings road 1/2 price, best I've ever tasted
    got mr mc meal 1/2 price with tokens given us in Oxford street

then when shopping with my son at mr t's in Cardiff
    got white choc muffins @10p a pack bought six, 3 for them and 3 to take back to Bris for my mum
    got pack 4 soft rolls @10p bought 6, 3 for him, 3 for mum.
    got muller rice @ 20p bought 5 to share with my mum

Came back home and got rolls @ 25p 4 packs for mr and mrs at mr m's, all by habit not looking for bargains as on hols, so I guess once the bug bites your hooked eh:T:T:j:j

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • jjef
    jjef Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    I really need to rejoin the GC. Budget for the last couple of months has been blown away and I not been keeping a note of daily/weekly grocery spends.

OH luckily gets discounted Asda vouchers through his work (£300 for the price of £285), so this month I have taken out £30 and put that aside for december added in £30 cash for odds from village shop, so for AUGUST my total will be £300.

Fortunately the freezer is reasonably well stocked but with school hols I can see the first month being tight.

At home there is me, OH , DD1 (10) &DD2 (7), 1dog & 7fish.

Off to read through all the receipe threads and meal plan properly for the month, then it will be shop and cook for freezer tomorrow me thinks.
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2009 at 1:00PM
    HI MEL ... i made a load of baking yesterday including raisin biscuits should keep OH and zoe happy :D x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • Coolmum66
    Coolmum66 Posts: 145
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi All

Droped out last month - but am back now and full of good intentions again!!

Please count me in for £250 for August?

Don't post much - but do try and keep up with the thread

Good luck and happy budgeting to all!!

Coolmum. xx
    Debt at 2nd LBM (!) Jun 08 £8,435 - hm, let's not go there!!
    DFW Nerd - 721 / DFW Long Hauler 4 / DFD - ASAP!!
    Sealed pot challenge - member 336 - £200 target
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Hi I would like to join the GC please. Had a really minimal month last month due to having no money! Storecupboard and freezer just about empty too, but I'm game for a try, please put me down for£150 and I'll see how I get on, that includes loo rolls, etc. and I'm doing my first ever monthly mealplan today, I'll post it later in the week for help/advice if that's OK. Thanks, Jackie.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    it starts on the 5th of august i was looking at it it looks interesting :) ..

yes it would have been helpful if I'd put the date, thanks sm ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • empy
    empy Posts: 325
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    :hello:Hi all, could I please join this months challenge, I am off school for 6 weeks and want to use this as an opportunity to save loads of money and get on top of my spending.

Well yesterday I went through all of my cupboards and fridge and freezer and compiled a list, which I posted on here and had many fantastic suggestions - Thank you. I also noticed the links to all the recipes at the begining of this thread , thank you so much to all who takes time to organise this:T.

So anyhoo looking at what I already had in the house I made a list and went shopping today and stocked up on essentials to prevent almost daily trips to the coop and spends of £20.00 each time:eek: .

So if you could please put me down for £100 I would be most grateful.

I have spent £59.43 so far, and will update my siggie.

Have a great afternoon all

Emma x
    OS Grocery Challenge
    August £250/ £103.44 left
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business