August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Morning all

Well our month starts on the 25th -so Im off with 4 NSDs in a row -I will need to pick up a couple of bits tomorrow..as yet it should just be a bit more :-
    milk, lettuce, peppers, cucumber and onions - unless of course I see any bargains that I can use :p.
    Im planning a super frugal month as I have lots of meat and stuff in the freezer -so I would like to get that run down.

Right -those 2 recipes that were asked for are:-
    lemon cakes

This made 12 buns -
    1. 100g butter
    2. 100g sugar
    3. 2 eggs
    4. 100g SR flour
    5. 50g ground almonds -you can add more if you have them to use up
    6. rind and juice of 1 lemon -or more if you like mmmmmmm
    These need to be left for a day or 2 (if possible :p) as they get moister as they stand ;)
    orange and poppyseed cake
    Pre-heat oven 160f/gas3
    grease and base line a loaf tin -20x10cm
    1. 3tbs marmalade
    2. 150g pot natural yoghurt
    3. 3 eggs
    4. 175g golden caster sugar
    5. 200g SR flour
    6. 1/2tsp baking powder
    7. 175g soft butter
    8. zest 1 orange
    9. 2tsp poppy seeds -toasted gently
    • melt the marmalade over a low heat -or soften in the micro
    • cool slightly -then stir in the yoghurt
    • throw everything else (except the poppy seeds)into a large bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk (or whallop with a good ol wooden spoon)
    • beat in the yoghurt mix and poppy seeds
    • tip into the prepared tin and bake for 1hr -1hr 10 mins -or until a skewer comes out clean -keep an eye on it and if it is colouring to quickly -cover with greaseproof
    I made this in bun cases instead in the remoska -its a runny mix -so don't use papers on their own -guess how I found this out? *some very strange shaped buns happened that day* :rotfl:...this is another 1 that I think is much better if left to stand for a day - they go really moist -it feels likes you could squeeze liquid out :D .... Im thinking of trying this recipe but with lemoncurd nomnomnom
    Flat-Eric -the courgette teabread/muffin recipe is on the list of recipes allready -its addictive -I even have hubbies mates making it :rotfl:
    I think you should be able to get poppy seeds in the supermarkets by now -if not the health food shops will have them....

I now have another 3 courgettes off the plants -they are growing quicker than I can use them -if only the tomatoes would catch up :rolleyes:. I have quite a few french and runner beans stashed in the freezer -and plenty more on their way -I love fresh runner beans mmmmmm -
    right I had better get off and make a cuppa -hope everyone has a good month
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thank's to those making this all possible, I love this thread.:beer:
    Hiya mrs m, can you put me down for £90 for Aug, hopefully I will keep to it, have no hols planned, so no one can mess with my budget.

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    can i put £400 down for August please.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Hi folks, I have to confess to getting very muddled in July, as a lot of the shopping was for the twins and not for my family. Their benefits were messed up) so I still havent declared for July.
    HOWEVER due to the bank no longer the bottomless pit of mum, I will have to be engenious this month, and live off of
    £80please. :o
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,207
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Could I please be included for £150?

I also became muddled this month but August will be an important month for me so musn't overspend! This is for me, DH and stepsons who might come at weekends or might come more often with friends, so a bit flexible. Hopefully I'll come in under budget especially as have paid an extra lump sum to clear elect and gas which our direct debit hadn't covered:rolleyes:.
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can you put me down for £150 for August

As I came in under budget for last month I am taking £50 off for this month to see if I can do it again!

Thanks to everyone who contributes and runs the thread, I'll pop in abit more this month to try and keep myself motivated :A
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,837
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,

Had to pop to MrA on Monday for a topup shop of dog food, veg and cereal. Also got some 3L bottles of orange and blackcurrant squash for DH to take to scout camp next week (only £1 each Geebee range, cheap and cheerful).

Total not looking too bad, but do have to go to MrT at some stage tonight or tomorrow to get what we need for next week. DH and DS1 are both away, so the rest of us can eat fairly frugally, and then all 5 of us are going to Norfolk. During that week the GC budget will be providing for breakfast and lunch (packups) only. Any eating out/icecream, will be from a different budget.

This is good news as my Dad is coming from Cyprus for the whole of September (I have a BIG birthday on 10th) and will be staying with us. Will have to take a serious look at my budget for September.

Off to collect DD from brownie camp today - only 7 and first time away from home - bless her!

Thanks to everyone for setting up this thread. It's becoming a real lifeline!!!

Coxy
    xxx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the Grocery Challenge - though have been meaning to do this for a while....

Welcome to the GC happymum :wave: if you have any questions please ask, we're a friendly bunch and someone is always around to give help and advice if needed. How lovely that you're having a baby girl in Sept bet she won't be spoiled will she :D

Good luck with your first GC
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • morning everyone
    yesterday I started to clean my kitchen food cupboards. It would appear I have been not so much storing as hoarding food. I found quite a few items which were very near their use by date. This included tins:eek: so goodness knows how long ago I actually bought them.

Anyway I sorted them all out and have made use of quite a few e.g made toffee last night and have started constructing six individual trifles in sundae dishes.:D
    I have also placed food which has least shelf life on bottom shelf so that I can meal plan using up these items.
    Have made a promise to myself to check dates on tins and packets more often to avoid any waste and to stop buying things in just for them to be there "in case". If I really need something and I don't have it in the house I can adjust my meal planner and buy it the next day.

Making sausages and onion gravy with potatoes and green beans and rhubarb sponge (just like Eve's Pudding) for dinner. Was given rhubarb, potatoes, green beans and onions from allotment, so all I had to buy was the sausages.:j

Hope you all have a good month and for all of you really struggling due to this recession my thoughts are with you.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Morning ladies, I need a kick up the proverbial to remind me WHY I come on here!!!!

I've declared my shameful total for July on the July thread :o and will stick with £180 for August in the hope I can stick to it this month :rolleyes:

I seem to have lost the plot at the moment, too many things need doing/buying/repairing and I'm feeling the pressure.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure