Three meals One day

Hi Guys,

I'm always reading through the board with great interest and have had really good response from my posts so far.

Heres the 411 (yes I've been watching american tv today!)
I'm trying to get a better regime organised for my cooking, i/e meal planning etc
However
I have no freezer space (so batch making are pretty much dead in the water)
I have no cooking ability :)

So heres the deal, I was hoping that I could maybe buy a job lot of ingredients and within my day off tomorrow make meals for a three day period, inc tomorrow.
However will the third keep in fridge well enough?
And what suggestions do we have?
My immediate thought was:
Spag Bol
Shep's pie
and then thats where I fall on my face,
I'm not a chilli con carne fan (that always seems to be the day after the others for many peeps on here)
So maybe HM Burgers?

As you can tell I really haven't got the foggiest about what I'm doing but my plan was to go out and get the ingredents tonight from Tesco, so its all ready and in my fridge come tomorrow morning!

A little help here please?
Much appreciated
Manifesting Abundance in 2023
Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66

Comments

• redballoon_2
    redballoon_2 Posts: 1,555
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    home made burgers are fab! its basically mince with an egg or two, and add any herbs that you have in your cupboard, i like to use basil and oregarno for italian burgers. fry in a little oil, make sure they are cooked all the way through.
    Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
    WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
    Debt £17,294 - 7th March
  • marybishop
    marybishop Posts: 761 Forumite
    Don't need cooking ability if you have a slow cooker. I'm new to this - bought one on Thursday. Have used it twice so far and it's fab. Bought a half shoulder of lamb for about £3 in Tesco and slow cooked it for about 9 hours - can honestly say I've never tasted lamb so good - it really melted in the mouth. Anyway there's a whole load about slow cookers on another thread so that's one idea. Another one that goes down well with my lot is home made minestrone soup. Basically chopped onion, carrot, leek, courgette, any combination of veg you like really, chopped bacon, plus tin of tomatoes, tin of kidney beans or similar, squirt of tomato puree, dried basil/oregano, s&p, vegetable stock from cube or powder and small pasta or broken spaghetti. Soften veg/bacon in oil then add rest of the ingredients and simmer. Ready when veg/pasta are cooked. Even better if left so the flavours really develop. Sprinkle of parmesan and serve with crusty bread. Lovely!

HTH

Mary
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I love homemade burgers too.:drool:

Another idea is meatballs in tomato sauce? Make the meatballs using the same idea as burgers, only make them smaller and round. Dry fry them an put aside. To make the tomato sauce cook some onions add garlic, basil (or any other herbs you fancy) a splash of while wine, a stock cube and a tin of value tomatoes. When the sauce is ready add the meatballs.

Pink
  • Anastacia
    Anastacia Posts: 470 Forumite
    If you are in 'mince mode' then Mousaka & Lasagne are also availble.

For Mousake I cook the mince onion etc with tinned tomotoes. Slice & fry an augergine or two & also a large potatoe or two ( I have worked in loads of restaurants in Greece - we always padded aubergine with potatoes to keep the cost down). Layer the aubergines, poatoe slices & mince mixture. Top with a white sauce enriched with a couple of egg yolks & a bit of grated cheese. Scrummy.

Can tell you about Lasagne, mine always comes up horribly although my chicken lasagne isnt so bad.

Good luck

Panda
    ....another happy bug.........sorry,blogger embracing the simple life
  • nuttyrockeress
    nuttyrockeress Posts: 1,256
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My home made burgers are

Onion, garlic, chilli, wizzed in a mini blender. Sometimes add a bit of a pepper too.

This should be quite a wet mixture so I add this into the mince in a bowl and mix together. I add a bit of sage (fresh or dried) some ground corriander, bit of chilli powder and mix together.

Then I make into burgers and leave to stand for about 20mins.

I then cook them in a frying pan - with Fry light until nice and brown on both sides. I prefer these with Pork mince but it does work with beef also.
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • redballoon_2
    redballoon_2 Posts: 1,555
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    im going to give the meat balls a go this week! sounds really tasty
    Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
    WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
    Debt £17,294 - 7th March
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The bol sauce will go nice with a jacket potato and salad.

My staff canteen sometimes does a turkish meal which is basically a bolonaise type sauce with pitta bread and a dollop of yoghurt. :drool: Don't know what its called.
  • sophistica
    sophistica Posts: 233 Forumite
    I think you should learn to cook - no excuses. It really isn't that difficult. When I got dovorced 15 years ago I couldn't even make a cup of tea and now there is really nothing I can't make from scratch...croissants, salmon en croute, onion bhajis. Basically you just follow a recipe - any recipe. You could enrol at evening classes. Is it worth it? Aboslutely. My meals and the cats meals (she only eats top brand stuff) and the toiletries are averaging out at £20 per week. A couple of days ago I had a home made salmon chowder, yesterday a chicken pad thai and today steak and salad AND I usually have a dessert. You have nothing to lose. Food tastes better if it is homemade.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    LOL @ sophistica.

I can cook I'm just not a contender for masterchef if you get what I mean. I generally buy some chicken etc, diced, cook through, jar of sauce on some rice, that kind of thing to me isnt real cooking.

I wanted to try things like loaves,scones, muffins etc to have as breakfast and for lunches, and try and batch cook for the fridge as opposed to freezer if that makes sense.Hence why I was thinking about loadsa things I could make with some mince!

Loving the sound of Nutty's HM Burgers.Do you freeze these?How long would they keep in a fridge?
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You mentioned using rice, cous cous is a great alternative. Its lovely in stuffed peppers, with chillis, curries, casseroles etc.
    Tesco do a pot of mediteranian seasoning for cous cous which is nice to use as a salad for a packed lunch or with cous cous in stuffed veg.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport