£50 to teach how to be a good consumer.... cheap at twice the price! Blog Discussion

This is a chat forum discussion on Martin's '£50 to teach how to be a good consumer.... cheap at twice the price!' blog which you can read here.
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    But...

You said you were going to get her one last Christmas!!!

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/?p=222

(glad the search is so easy to use, I was sure I'd read it somewhere!)
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Different sister Mini. That's my big sister (who's 35) - this is my little half sister (who's 11 3/4)

martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh I see! I'll let you be teacher then!

Out of interest I'd like to know if she'd agree to you buying her one now & her paying back way more than it cost over a period of time? I have done that with my children, yes I can buy it now for £22 but you need to pay me £32 back or you can save up for it, they look at me like I'm stupid, exactly! Actually that has come from the debt ridden adverts on tv I guess, me trying to put it into their terms.

If you could send me a family tree with pictures especially the baby ones of you I'll know who is who next time :)

mini
  • This is exactly what older dd (12 last week) and older ds (13) are saving up for, and exactly what I've told them to do. Except when mum says it she's nagging and it goes over their heads.

DD just read the blog and came into the kitchen saying "Martin says..... so I should ...." so nowshe takes notice! :confused:

When I was younger I had a mad crush on Adam Ant. I suppose I should be glad that Martin is her mentor and someone she'll listen to as opposed to a make up wearing man dressed in frilly frocks. Or is there a difference? :rolleyes: ;):p

Lotta
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    If an 11 year old has saved £200 that's amazing in itself. Only one of my kids can manage to save and he now has a computer and the others don't and he was older than that too. Buy her one NOW! :D

P.S. Mini, I like the detective work.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • RobN_2
    RobN_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    "cheap at twice the price!"

So double your offer then & stop being tight! ;)
  • Jays
    Jays Posts: 410 Forumite
    RobN wrote:
    "cheap at twice the price!"

So double your offer then & stop being tight! ;)

Yeah, it's going to take her ages, maybe until after she leaves school, and she needs it sooner.

I reckon you should go halfs with her. :money:

Jays
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    Dear Lotta Littlies DD

I'm very pleased to hear you've been reading my blog, and very impressed to have a MoneySaver who's so young already starting to do the right things! It a great way to start learning how to look after your cash, so you get to keep more of it yourself.

Keep up the good work!

Martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Hello,

I'm lotta littlies DD. Thank you for your message to me.
    mum set me a full project on the laptop research before she will let me buy one, but she won't give me £50!!

Small Littlies
  • Now she's out of the room I can tell you that you've made her day so thank you for taking the time to write her a message. She's printed it up and stuck in on the front of her Finance and Business studies folder "for motivation when I don't want to work" lol!

Now, if you could just have a word with her about keeping her room tidy... :rolleyes:

Lotta
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure