1000 free texts when you top up a free T-Mobile SIM

What's the deal?

T-Mobile's offering 1000 free texts to customers that top up its completely free pay as you go SIMs. Aside from the freebie, the SIM isn't great, but there's nowt to stop prolific texters getting one, topping up the minimum £5, then burning through the free texts and £5 credit before binning it.

How to get one.

Just fill in the form on the T-Mobile site and you'll get 2 free SIMs. Both are eligible for the offer. To get the texts, you must top up (at least one of them) with a minimum of £5 before 30 April. The only annoying issue is that it can take 'up to 28 days' for the texts to reach your account - the idea being you'll spend more money in the meantime. Don't do it!

Once the 1000 free texts have been added you'll get a message. Then you have 60 days to make the most of them before they disappear. In the longer term, the T-Mobile SIM is quite easily beaten on standard charges, so this is the time to ditch it.

Standard Charges: T-Mobile vs. Ikea Mobile vs. ASDA Mobile

I thought it'd be interesting to compare T-Mobile's offering with Ikea's, since they both use T-Mobile's infrastructure, meaning the service you get is nigh on exactly the same. I've also added ASDA, as it's cheapest overall.
t-mobilevsikea.JPG

Get 50p cashback on top.

If you've a Quidco account, and you've already paid its £5 admin fee this year, it's possible to get 50p back for signing up to this deal. Just log in and go through its special page.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• emmaput
    emmaput Posts: 11 Forumite
    Does anyone know if I can use an Ikea sim in a locked T mobile PAYG samsung G600. At least I assume it is locked as bought from T mobile?
    Thanks
  • Unfortunately emmaput locked mean locked,no swapping of sims.But do not despair,you can get your mobile phone unlocked at any independent mobile shop even over the net.But if you feel uncountable to do it yourself over the net choose the shop option,it should cost around £10 and then your phone will be unlocked and you can use any sim card you want.But beware,what functions of your mobile phone works with one sim card may not work with another.
    I hope I have given you the answers you were looking for.
  • Redrum_2
    Redrum_2 Posts: 898 Forumite
    Just wanted to put a good word in for T Mobile - I moved to them from o2 about 3 months ago and think they're great! I rang up their customer services and they put me on something called "mates rates", which means it costs less for calling other people on t mobile (my other half and most of my friends are on them, so a good deal :D) I think it's 8p or 10p a minute for calls and 5p for texts

And they sent me a message about something called top up stretch - basically every time I top up £10, I get £10 free to spend at the weekend. I'm spending about £25 a month less than I was than on O2 so really pleased with them

I'm sure for every story like mine there's someone who can give a bad story, but i just wanted to let you know that for me they are really good.
  • OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    If your on T-Mob dont forget to claim your goodies.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/uk/goodies/
  • OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Redrum wrote: »
    Just wanted to put a good word in for T Mobile - I moved to them from o2 about 3 months ago and think they're great! I rang up their customer services and they put me on something called "mates rates", which means it costs less for calling other people on t mobile (my other half and most of my friends are on them, so a good deal :D) I think it's 8p or 10p a minute for calls and 5p for texts

The downside is that calls to mobiles other then those on T-Mob cost a wopping 40p a minute on the mates tariff.:eek:

Where as Asda PAYG charge 8p a minute or 4p a text to call any network.
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

And they sent me a message about something called top up stretch - basically every time I top up £10, I get £10 free to spend at the weekend. I'm spending about £25 a month less than I was than on O2 so really pleased with them

I'm sure for every story like mine there's someone who can give a bad story, but i just wanted to let you know that for me they are really good.

I moved to o2 from T-mobile. Yeah they were okay, I don't think they were great though.

The 1000 minutes has a catch. I remember reading somewhere there is a limit to how long you have to use them.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,306
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    djpailo wrote: »
    <snip>

The 1000 minutes has a catch. I remember reading somewhere there is a limit to how long you have to use them.
    Yes, you probably remember reading it in the first post in this thread...
    Once the 1000 free texts have been added you'll get a message. Then you have 60 days to make the most of them before they disappear.
    :beer:
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Same here, very happy on T-Mobile. I mostly text and rarely make calls so am on their Text Appeal PAYG tariff and only pay 3p a text. Add in the Top Up and Stretch offer and the rewards offer and every time I top up I get £10 free credit for the following weekend AND a random reward from the rewards scheme mentioned above :money:
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    JDPower wrote: »
    I mostly text and rarely make calls so am on their Text Appeal PAYG tariff and only pay 3p a text.

That tariff was withdrawn to new customers some time ago.;)
  • Does anyone know if I can take advantage of the 1000 free texts offer without changing my phone number? It would probably benefit me but the hassle of changing my number everywhere wouldn't be worth it!
    Marg :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport