February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all
    Just an update of the spend situation, Mr T online order arrived, spent £83.41 and then realised that I hadn't got any eggs and the bin liners I'd ordered from Mr T were the wrong ones, so returned those. Went to Mr L's and spent another £13.99 (but this did include a huge 24 roll pack of Charmin loo rolls for £6.49 now have enough to last possibly 2+ months). I'm assuming the loo rolls were a good buy normal price is £9. When I'm looking back at what I've bought I can now see why I need to take part in the G Challenge - I've now spent over £200 in 2 weeks - eek! that's REALLY scary!

Take it easy everyone, the weather here is getting worse really quickly and the roads are becoming like skating rinks!
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another NSD here today, still need salt but am avoiding the shops we have enough milk,bread etc etc till tomorrow so will do some shopping then have sliced up the gammon joint and there is a huge amount of it was going to do a dinner with it but have decided to have some with chips tonight for tea and then i am stuck with what to do with the rest pies and quiches maybe? have saved the stock that came from it to use as a base for a soup next week sometime so that is in the freezer. managed to sort the freezer out and now have a list of what is in there so need to start menu planning going by the huge list i really shouldnt have to shop at all but i dont know where to start with it all really.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,613
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    When I do a gammon joint I don't tend to do huge ones -- purely 'cos of the issue of what to do with the left-overs (younger DS isn't a fan).

Did do a large one just before Christmas, and then used quite a bit in butties (for me and elder DS who was home on leave), and did a chicken and ham rissotto using some (and some of the chicken 'scraps' from Christmas Day - did a large chicken rather than a turkey). I bagged the rest up in small quantities for the freezer, and will pull them out once in a while to make more rissotto (did one at the start of this week as we had chicken again on Sunday).
    Cheryl
  • hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    Hi
    Can anyone help my 1st fruit and veg box has just arrived and was thinking of making a lamb joint in my slow cooker with some of veg and then freezing for next week. I have a frozen lamb joint in freezer (that I bought frozen) which says in pack to roast from frozen, can I just bung this in slow cooker frozen as well with the veg.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • nmlc, don't worry too much, I'm on £100 for the month, I haven't spent a penny and still my budget is down to £70 already ..... in my case it is the rest of the family raiding the envelope! Just take very careful note of what you are spending the money on, then next month you can work a little closer to the budget. It gets easier as time goes by, honestly. In time it even gets to be automatic, though we all fall off every now and again - unless you are NYK or Weezl or Mrs Mac!!
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Shopping to-day, went to Aldi and Lidl...they had asparagus on offer at 79c, also 6 Granny Smith apples and tomatoes..didn't buy the asparagus as god knows where it came from, nothing on bunches
    Spent €36.35 in Aldi and €46.79 in Lidl, bringing my total for February to €115.91...seems to be lots in freezer and fridge, so may only need to shop for milk and fresh f & v next week...hopefully.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    elly2 wrote: »
    have sliced up the gammon joint and there is a huge amount of it was going to do a dinner with it but have decided to have some with chips tonight for tea and then i am stuck with what to do with the rest pies and quiches maybe?

I usually do a gammon risotto, using leftover gammon joint chopped into chunks. Nice if you have a bit of chicken to mix in with it too. Or I chuck it in a pasta bake dish.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi

gailey signing in not been on in a while.
    Im still on jan still until payday on 15th but please put me down for usual £200 for feb please.

We still living off freezer and storecupboard except for milk and bread.
    My crazy batch cooking and freezing has paid off!
    I know my mistakes and learnt from last month so feel confident can do better this month!

Good luck everyone
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Totally snowed in, so weekend away called off. Have been a bit of a domestic goddess even if I say so myself! Made leek and potato soup for lunch –didn’t have recipe so made it up as I went along – my best ever! DH and I had half for lunch and there’s enough for tomorrow’s lunch too. I also made a dozen granary rolls – 8 of which have gone in the freezer. Used up 2 going off bananas to make banana cake –didn’t have any nuts so sprinkled oats and brown sugar on top – looks ok but will tell you later what it tastes like. Then I made a quiche using the rest of the leeks and some thin sliced ham which was going out of date. Quiche has just come out of the oven and smells delish! I also made two small apple crumbles to use up some stewed apple which had been lurking in the fridge since the weekend – one we’ll eat tonight and the other has gone in the freezer.

I need to lie down now, but DH has said he might need some help later – the loo broke and he struggled in to town to get the part he needed to mend it bless him – he’s at it now – no swearing so far, so fingers crossed! Not the way we planned to spend our weekend break but very MS!

In case anyone wants to know how I made the soup this is it:

Moniker’s Leek and Potato Soup (makes 4 medium or 2 large servings)
    1 large potato, peeled and thinly sliced
    2 medium leeks scrubbed and thinly sliced
    1 pt vegetable stock (from my freezer – but you could use half a stock cube)
    2 bay leaves
    1-2oz butter
    Salt and pepper
    About 2-3 tablespoons cream (I used single Elmlea)

Gently cook the potato and leeks in the butter until just beginning to colour. Add the stock, bay leaves and seasoning. I used my pressure cooker and cooked it for 5 minutes then blitzed with a blender till smooth. (I guess if you don’t have a pressure cooker you could simmer in a saucepan for 30 minutes or so). Finally I added a little cream and adjusted the seasoning. Simple!

DH got some more milk and potatoes and the Elmlea for me when he went into town so there’s £2-44 to add to my total. Have updated my signature.

Got some jumbo prawns out of the freezer for supper – might just make posh sandwiches and open a bottle of wine as I am not sure I can face anymore cooking today!

Hope you are all keeping safe and warm.

Love

Moniker
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    On to update my siggy.I made some rolls for brekkers tomorrow then popped in some raisin and white chocolate flapjacks too.I was just using up the left overbits in the cupboard but they smelt delish and I've eaten 2 already,quality control of course.No snow for us and blue skies again.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport