Cheap low fat recipes

Hi, I'm a newbie to this board but I am having baby very soon and moving out of my parents house with dp so am wanting to try and keep our shopping budget as low as possible. We are living on ready meals at the mo, mainly weightwatchers for dp as he is on a diet, but these are quite costly and I was wondering if there was any where on this site that had cheap low fat recipes as these would come in really useful. Thanks :j
Mummy to two beautiful girls and one gorgeous boy.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Direct from the cooking section of our MEGA Index sticky we have quite a few threads worth browsing that will be of help to you:-

Healthy eating:
    [post=473453] - 5 a day?[/post]
    [post=784633] - Chocolate cake for diabetics[/post]
    [post=739241] - Healthy eating for weight loss[/post]
    [post=60055] - I have no idea what to cook![/post]
    [post=729983] - Iron rich recipes?[/post]
    [post=609706] - Low cost meals[/post]
    [post=791744] - Low fat vegetarian ideas please?[/post]
    [post=383300] - Low salt diet[/post]
    [post=431918] - No wheat[/post]
    [post=372711] - Omg...all This Home Cooking Is Making Me Fat!![/post]
    [post=517084] - Nutritionaly good meals for the Freezer?[/post]
    [post=369750] - Sausages[/post]
    [post=581219] - Student cooking (and shopping)[/post]
    [post=729904] - Sugar Free cake recipe[/post]
    [post=841776] - Treats for diabetics?[/post]
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Heth_2
    Heth_2 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Something I do is take normal recipes and try and reduce the fat by for example substituting cream for creme fraiche or even yogurt, or using less butter/oil that it says, or missing out the cream, using less cheese and more veg...
    Think about what your favorites ready meals are and I'm sure you could make them yourself for less money, and they'd probably be better for you as well.
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    One of the best tips for reducing fat is to make an olive oil spray yourself, in which you put one part oil to ten parts water or you can buy them in the supermarkets called frylite, this means not only do you save a fortune but you also cut way back on calories.

Not as nice as using olive oil but, hey!

For salad dressings with no fat I use just plain balsamic vinegar or i mix cider vinegar with a little honey.

Swap to skimmed milk, i find the filtered milk tastes less like white water. Or add water to semi skimmed.

Bulk up on veggies and salad this cuts down the calories.

Butternut squash instead of potatoes is nice, cut in to chunks and spray with spray oil salt and pepper and bake in the oven.

I have loads more tips will be back later with some more if you like.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Cheap low fat ideas are Jacket potatoes with beans, tuna mayonaise (helmans extra light has only half a point for three big tablespoons worth).

Home made soups, you dont need any fat to precook veggies. Marigold veggie bouillion is fab as a stock.

Tuna fishcakes, made with mash made with skimmed milk and to make it a little creamier you can add a dollop of extra low fat soft cheese, tesco do nice ones, esp the garlic and herb.

Any grilled meat and veggies, or fish is good.

I like to do something like salmon steamed on the top of the rice cooker with soy sauce, chilli and ginger, serve with rice and pak choy.

Chicken tikka, mix plain low fat yogurt with some fresh ginger, garlic, corrriander seeds and cumin, leave to marinade and then grill, or put on a gf, serve with salad and a dressing made from plain yogurt and mint and cucumber.

Sardines are amazingly cheap and healthy, grill and serve with lemon wedges and salad. Or make a pasta sauce with them.

Smoked macarel pate, whizz a smoked macarel fillet with half a packet of elf cheese (extra low fat cheese) and some lemon or lime juice salt and pepper serve with crispbreads.

Low fat hommous... whizz elf cheese with a tin of chickpeas or dried ones cooked up, with some lemon juice salt and pepper.

breakfasts

Plain yogurt with bannana and a little crystalised ginger
    Toast with st ivel gold lowest (lowest fat spread and not too bad)
    Cereal
    crumpets and marmite
    Porridge
    Smoothies

http://groups.msn.com/CoastiesRecipeSwap Here is a site with some recipes on x

Tesco do little icecreams like mini solereos that hit the spot for a desert, only half a point each.

When making spag bol, curries casseroles etc, bulk out with veggies, makes the meat go further and significantly drops the calories.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • Hi Pawpurrs,

When you mention elf ceese-could you use quark?

dihunny
  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    I discovered this website a few weeks back - https://www.whfoods.com World's Healthiest Foods. It's absolutely brilliant - just a list of 127 of the most healthy foods and why they're good for you. None of the fad diet nonsense, cutting out entire food groups here! They're also chosen with "easy access" in mind. They're all just basic, everyday foods you can find almost anywhere, researched by a doctor and his team.

If you make most of your food from this list (they say about 75%) then you can't really go wrong. Each of the foods has a wealth of info attached, what it contains, why it's good for, studies associated with the food, calorie info etc.

They have over 100 recipes on the site too.

(I'm not in any way affliated with this site, have just found it incredibly useful and thought I'd share!)
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,615
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    pawpurrs wrote:
    Cheap low fat ideas are Jacket potatoes with beans, tuna mayonaise (helmans extra light has only half a point for three big tablespoons pak choy.

Chicken tikka, mix plain low fat yogurt with some fresh ginger, garlic, corrriander seeds and cumin, leave to marinade and then grill, or put on a gf, serve with salad and a dressing made from plain yogurt and mint and cucumber.

Great post pawpurrs....but what is gf....trying to work it out!
  • janb5 wrote:

Could it be a George Foreman gill ?
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    thats what I read it to be!
  • Lady_E
    Lady_E Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    janb5 wrote:
    pawpurrs wrote:
    Cheap low fat ideas are Jacket potatoes with beans, tuna mayonaise (helmans extra light has only half a point for three big tablespoons pak choy.

I thought it was girlfriend .....LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport