Best Place for my savings now?

Options
Like many others I am now looking to save into a safer haven, whilst waiting for my money back re IceSave.

I somehow need to find all the money for my tax bill all over again, before end of January - unless the IceSave money comes through.

So my options are Bradford and Bingley, ICICI or First Direct as I already have accounts with them. BB and FD are my preferred options as at least they are UK based and my confidence has been shattered.

So every penny we can put aside, we will, to cover the tax bill. Any advice re the above most appreciated as I know nothing about the fundamentals of Santander vs HSBC. :T
MFW #185
Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
YNAB lover :D

Comments

• apt
    apt Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's up to you to decide, but from an interest rate perspective Egg - easy access, but 6.3% fixed for a year - looks attractive. It has a big bank behind it - Citibank - but of course that does link it to the American financial system. If you want to stay purely British YBS internet saver has paid a consistent rate (5.7% but will drop) and comes with a Link card.
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Apt - although I was thinking to stick with the companies I already have an account with really - Santander and HSBC *seem* to be massive global trustworthy banks, but in these uncertain times, I would be curious to see if anyone had negative comments about either one?
    MFW #185
  • MadSage
    MadSage Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    One measurement of how safe banks are is to look at the CDS ratings. See this article for more info and ratings from October 6th:

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/your-money/2008/10/07/spot-banks-before-they-go-bust.aspx

The higher the rating, the more risky they are. The Icelandic banks had a rating well over 1000 on October 2nd! I'm not sure where I got these, but this is a list from October 2nd:

Kaupthing Edge 1842
    Landsbanki (Icesave) 1674
    ICICI Bank 564
    Britannia 335
    Nationwide 280
    HBOS 278
    RBS 273
    Barclays 234
    Bank of Ireland 163
    Lloyds TSB 161
    ING 153
    Santander(A&L,Abbey,B&B)105
    HSBC 97

Ratings change constantly. After announcements from the government yesterday, the ratings of many UK banks reduced. Here are some from around midday yesterday:

HBOS 198
    RBS 197
    Barclays 128
    Lloyds TSB 102

[Source: Bloomberg]
    MadSage

• uk_steve
    uk_steve Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    Royal Bank Of Zimbabwa looks a good bet:beer:
    Oh well we only live once ;-)
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    Thanks MadSage that is a useful link - looks like HSBC and B&B are fairly low on the list - which is about as much reassurance as anyone will get right now... is there anywhere I can check more up to date figures on CDS ratings?
    MFW #185
  • MadSage
    MadSage Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    is there anywhere I can check more up to date figures on CDS ratings?

I keep asking myself the same question. I've found numerous sites which list some of them, but I'm still not sure where they get their information. Googling for credit default swap ratings a bit later today may show up a list somewhere. I'll keep looking for the ultimate source :)
    MadSage

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Anything British - and keep it under the compensation limit just in case.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been wondering exactly the same thing over the last few days.

I have an Egg Savings account paying 6.30% which I'm hoping is "safe" as that's where the bulk of my "stooze" money is held so I'll keep that where it is for now.

I also have a few hundred pounds in KE, which I believe is now owned by ING, but will wait to see what happens with that as I'm not sure if they're merging the accounts or keeping them separate (also have ING savings lol)

As to the money I had in Icesave, I think I need to look for a new ISA and fixed term savings account to replace those but not yet sure where to go or whether its best to wait until we get our money back :confused:
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    Hi Chameleon, my stooze money was an issue too - I had it with ICICI but it is winging it's money to me now, hence my original q, as the safest place is now where I plan to put the stooze cash as I really, really couldn't handle having all that to pay off... I have even thought of paying off the credit card now, not to worry about it. However, it's worth around £90 to me to keep it in a savings account rather than pay off.
    MFW #185
  • AdamC_2
    AdamC_2 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm moving 90% of my savings into Northern Rock. If I sit down and do the calculations, even if it's 1% less than the market leader, for the next 2 or 3 months the peace of mind it gives me is worth it.

I may chase rates in the future but only with what I see as 'proper' banks - i.e. no ICICI, Firstbank, Icelandic banks etc. etc. (my uneducated-gut-feeling view)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure