'Are you a knock-off Nigel or Nigella?' poll discussion

Options
Poll between 22-30 Sept 2008.

Are you a knock-off Nigel or Nigella?

While walking down your local high street, you’re approached by someone with a plastic bag full of almost certainly fake DVDs of films you want to see. Buying one's generally considered a criminal offence, yet the trade persists. Which is nearest to your reaction?

A. I wouldn’t buy it, it’s illegal. 39% (4239 votes)
B. I wouldn’t buy it and I’d report the seller. 5% (601 votes)
C. I would’ve bought it, but won’t now I know it's illegal. 2% (182 votes)
D. It may be illegal, but it’s cheap, so I’d do it. 11% (1172 votes)
E. I don’t care about the legality, I won’t buy due to quality worries. 25% (2782 votes)
F. I generally won’t buy them, but if it’s a really juicy film... 5% (600 votes)
G. I don’t buy illegal films, I unlawfully download them. 13% (1396 votes)

Voting has now closed, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

Comments

• Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Options
    (sort of) A. I wouldn't buy it, it's illegal.

I just wouldn't trust them and the quality of the film could be questionable. I wouldn't trust them that it wasn't just a blank DVD. :)
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A & E: for me, although I did note on a recent trip to Greece, there was gangs of Nigerians flogging dvds on the beach, and it was generally the brits who bought them in bulk.
  • Petmidget
    Options
    No legal expert but I believe G is wrong.

It is "unlawful" to d/l copyright material from illegitimate sites, but it only becomes "illegal" if you then seek to distribute and profit from those downloads.

Simply watching then deleting you have not committed a criminal act but you may have violated a copyright which is a civil matter.
  • Former_MSE_Lawrence
    Options
    Petmidget wrote: »
    No legal expert but I believe G is wrong.

It is "unlawful" to d/l copyright material from illegitimate sites, but it only becomes "illegal" if you then seek to distribute and profit from those downloads.

Simply watching then deleting you have not committed a criminal act but you may have violated a copyright which is a civil matter.

Thanks for that; I believe you're right so I've updated the poll accordingly.

This is murky territory, as whether the offence of buying a dodgy DVD is criminal or civil depends on your knowledge of the situation. As I understand it (from speaking to consumer direct), if you know the DVD is counterfeit when you buy it, then you are complicit in the illegal distribution of copyrighted material - a criminal offence (Section 107 Copyright act 1988).

Yet if you aren't aware that it's fake when you buy it (and presumably you can prove this in some way), it's a civil matter. Hence I was careful to say that it's 'generally' considered criminal...

If anybody knows better, I'd be interested to hear more on this. Thanks :)
  • ChasingButterflies
    Options
    Voted A, although not really because it is illegal... more to do with the fact that the person selling the dvd's will get nothing/little from the sale - his/her boss on the other hand will use it for a host of ventures - and I don't think I would agree with any of them :rolleyes:

Sorry, just my tuppence worth.
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I have to say its a "G" for me.

I download films regularly, watch them then delete them, they never get burnt onto disc as I always watch them on my laptop.

Legal or otherwise I watch a lot of films that I wouldnt normally pay for anyway so they wouldnt get any money out of me if I couldnt download them. Films I watch and really like I do buy the DVD for. I also regularly go to the cinema to see the big films I want to see so they do see some money from me.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • sdooley
    sdooley Posts: 918 Forumite
    Options
    Another reason not to buy from people on the street or in pubs etc is it just encourages them to get in your way in future, whether that's on your way to work or when you're having a quiet pint.
  • before_hollywood
    Options
    DKLS wrote: »
    A & E: for me, although I did note on a recent trip to Greece, there was gangs of Nigerians flogging dvds on the beach, and it was generally the brits who bought them in bulk.
    we saw the same sorts of sellers but these looked middle eastern/turkish etc, where we were was a short boat ride to turkey though
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then ;)
    BH is my best mate too, its ok :)

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester.. ;)

all your base are belong to us :eek:
  • LimeLight
    LimeLight Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's always chinese people selling them in town and i never buy any because i don't know what the money is going on, though i can guess.

However, i do get given films by my mate win downloads them off internet.
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
  • wigglebeena
    Options
    I voted e) because it was the closest but it doesn't really reflect my feelings. I think the advert is unbearably naff, trying to start a craze to have us all mocking buyers of pirate items. Not going to happen. I might disapprove, but considering the unconscionable profits made by the industry I'm hardly going to sit in judgement over a colleague robbing them of a few quid.

I'm more concerned with the jobs of the lower level people in the industry - probably the actual creatives and the ones who expend actual sweat and effort - writers, artists, best boys, caterers, wardrobe peeps, many more no doubt. They're the ones who will be regarded as expendable when profits drop, while the producers and other fat cats continue to trouser outrageous sums. That's why I don't buy the pirate items - but since the 'little people' are the ones who do, it's also why I don't judge 'em and won't report 'em.

It's the rich what gets the pleasure and it's the poor what gets the blame... If writers and other peeps who actually do the blimmin work, were better rewarded - if there was no need for writers' strikes, for example... if there was no 'Orphan Act' in the US specifically designed to rob artists of copyright and enable huge corporations to steal their work with impunity... - I might be more civic minded and inclined to dob pirate seller and buyers in...

But there is, and I'm not. Rob on, guys, rob on...

Oh, and Google should change their mission statement. Have they not noticed that they ARE evil, yet? You're on the Dark Side, fellas. I can hear your stertorous breathing through that mask from here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure