August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• kazmeister
    kazmeister Posts: 3,336
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Right I am going to do this.

I am going to try the store cupboard challenge and only buy essentials as we are spending way too much. Last month we spent at least £356.35 - I think I still have more receipts to add to the total :eek: and there are 2 adults 1x16yr old and 1x9yr old altho last month we did have a french student as an extra.

Hopefully I can keep OH away from the yellow stickered stuff as well.

Wish me luck as I try for £300
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Cheese and Potato Bread

225g / 8oz plain flour
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp mustard powder (optional)
    2 tsp baking powder
    125g / 4 ½ oz grated cheese
    175g / 6oz potatoes, cooked & mashed (you can use instant potato instead)
    200ml / 7 fl oz water
    1 tbsp oil

Sieve the flour, salt, mustard powder (if using) and baking powder into a bowl.
    Reserve 2 tbsp of the cheese, and stir the rest into the bowl with the cooked & mashed potatoes.
    Pour in the water and oil, (the mixture will be wet at this stage) and stir to form a soft dough.
    Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and shape it into a 20cm round.
    Place on a greased/lined baking tray and mark it into 4 portions with a knife, without cutting through.
    Sprinkle with the reserved cheese, then bake 220C / Gas 7 for 25-30 mins.

Variation: Add 50g chopped ham with the cheese.

OrkneyStar you use the yoghurt carton to measure out the flour/sugar/etc ;)
    :A
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,666
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks for the yog ideas- I did not think to freeze them as they are as thought they might go funny (the same way milk does :o).
    I am gonna make the yoghurt cake at the beginning, although not sure what it means by 'cartons' of certain ingredients ? Anyone shed any light ? My flour etc does not come in cartons :rolleyes:.
    Thankfully DS is a bit happier now (was ready to scream :confused: ), although on his third outfit of the day due to pouring various things on himself. Hoping to get washed and dried though as not wanting to come back home to washing (as we will be bringing dirty stuff back of course!).
    Just need to hoover and sort washing out and maybe then get 10 mins to bake!
    Ta ra for now.
    x

Mostly they freeze ok, but sometimes teh top needs stirring back in. They're not as strange as milk (I don't like freezing it either, although will occ freeze a half pint if on its last day and then use for something like angel delight)

Carton wise, I think it means the yogurt carton (5 fl oz?) to use for measuring stuff? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!:D

Gtx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Debz66
    Debz66 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Well, just been shopping for first time (apart from milk yesterday) and spent £11.14 just topping up few bits needed. I have so much in the freezer that unless manage to find more half price meat in butcher counter going to try and eat through that and only buy small bits like milk and bread etc.

Did manage to pay just under £7 with coupons so that helps :T

In answer to the earlier post about till spits (sorry can't remember who posted it now having read all the way to here!! :o ) I work on the checkouts in Mr T and they seem pretty random to me, I sometimes wonder if they do them more for people who haven't used their clubcard in a while to try and encourage them in, or people who tend to do very small shops to get them to spend more. I shop in there quite often (hence why trying to cut down!) and I never seem to get them :confused:

As an added afterthought I will see if I can find out next week what if anything triggers them and report back!
    2010 Debt Mission - Clear Credit Card £193 - Gonna start small and give myself some hope of actually doing it... :rotfl:
    2010 Comping Beginner! Wins - Creme Egg Beachball :j

Love like you've never been hurt, dance like no one's looking, work like you don't have to and live like Heaven on Earth.
  • angelnikki
    Chocolate Bread

450g / 1lb white bread flour
    25g / 1oz cocoa powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 sachet/1tsp easy blend yeast
    25g /1oz soft brown sugar
    1 tbsp oil
    300ml / ½ pint tepid water

Sieve the flour & cocoa powder into a large bowl.
    Stir in the salt, yeast and brown sugar.
    Pour in the oil & water, and mix to form a dough.
    Knead for about 5 mins or until smooth.
    Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
    Knock it back and place in a greased/lined 2lb loaf tin, cover and leave to rise for a further 30mins.
    Bake 200C / Gas 6 for 25-30 mins until hollow sound is heard when base of the bread is tapped.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I got a till spit in Tesco, £6 off £30 although not sure if I will use it or not cos we are off on hols halfway through the week, and its only valid for our local Tesco. Hmmmmmmm can I stock up on £30 worth of stuff for £24 ? Hmmm that would still be under our weekly budget so maybe ;) . Am thinking, juice, baking stuff, any BOGOF meat or whoopsie meat ? Not sure what else though....will def take my calculator with me though and make sure that I do not over-spend ;) ! Out Tesco only been open a few weeks and I used club card each shop, spending anything from £5 to £50 per shop so not sure how they work it out. I did used to only use my Clubcard on the mainland but as we have a Tesco here now I use it once/twice a week!
    PS Thanks for explaining the carton thing d'oh its obvious once you say it lol x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• OrkneyStar
    Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Chocolate Bread
    How sweet is this nikki ?
    thanks x

• angelnikki
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    How sweet is this nikki ?
    thanks x

Not tried it yet but I dont think it will be really sweet as theres only 25g sugar :D

Recipe says its good spread with butter/ lightly toasted. yummy yummy :drool:

Gonna make it tomorrow so I'll post pics.

edit: made it tonight instead (I halved the recipe cos I only have a 1lb loaf tin) really yummy with butter on, and its not too sweet. :) nomnomnom :D
  • OrkneyStar
    Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Not tried it yet but I dont think it will be really sweet as theres only 25g sugar :D

Recipe says its good spread with butter/ lightly toasted. yummy yummy :drool:
    ok, let us know ;)
    I am planning to make some bakes for our journey (1.5 hours in the boat and up to 8 in the car including breaks for loo and food!), so we need scrummy stuff. Anyone got a Scotch egg recipe ?
    x

• Bree
    Bree Posts: 52 Forumite
    I'd like to try this.

Could you put me down for £500 please?

This is for 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 4 children, 1 cat, 2 rabbits, 2 guniea pigs and 1 hampster. It will also include a bbq for a joint party for our 2 August birthdays, possibly 5 if our eldest daughter, partner and their son come down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure