July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• perrywinkle
    perrywinkle Posts: 224
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    busy_mum wrote: »
    Anyone have any recipes using black treacle?

Hi busy mum,

this is the only thing I seem to use black treacle for. If you wrap it once it is cool and keep it for a day or so it goes stickier and yummier.

Sticky gingerbread

4 oz butter or marg
    8 oz plain flour
    2 oz golden syrup
    6 oz black treacle
    1 tsp ground mixed spice
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp bicarb of soda
    1 oz caster sugar
    ¼ pint milk
    2 eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 160oC/325oF/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin or 7 – 8” square tin with melted butter or marg. Line the base and sides with greaseproof paper and brush the paper with more butter.
    Place the butter or marg, syrup and treacle in a small pan and heat gently until just melted.
    Sift the plain flour, mixed spice, ground ginger and bicarb of soda into a mixing bowl.
    Stir the milk into the melted mixture.
    Add the eggs and caster sugar to the dry ingredients then gradually pour the melted mixture into the bowl stirring carefully with a wooden spoon.
    Beat thoroughly with the wooden spoon until any lumps in the mixture are smoothed out.
    You can also add a handful of glace cherries or dried fruit at this stage if you like.
    Pour the mixture into the tin and sit it on a baking tray.
    Bake in the centre of the oven for 50 – 60 minutes until firm and a skewer comes out clean.
    Transfer to a rack to cool.

When cool, if liked, can decorate with glace icing made with 4 oz icing sugar and thinly sliced pieces of stem ginger and angelica.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • busy_mum_4
    busy_mum_4 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Thanks for treacle links
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    busy_mum wrote: »
    Anyone have any recipes using black treacle?

try this I posted earlier in the week.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Oo, my mouth is watering just looking at the treacle recipes! I have a tin in the cupboard at home, so will have to try some - yum :p

My diet has SOOOO gone to pot since I found this thread!!!:rotfl:
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    zoe260373 wrote: »
    :rotfl: :rotfl: aww bless ya! what would we all do without you posting your nutty comments! you never fail to brighten my day reading your funny words and im sure im not alone,denise,you crack me up,thank you,its good to go to bed with a smile on my face i tell you.
    THANKS ALL OF YOU FOR BEING MY FRIENDLY,HAPPY OLDSTYLERS.x

Thanks for that Zoe, glad I make someone laugh, and there was me thinking that I was just rambling on (and on, and on, and on...:rotfl: ). I do love it on here and the friendly 'atmosphere' you get, even over the internet - everyone is just so helpful and thoughtful no matter what mood they are in themselves - really glad that I can pass some of that back on... :beer:
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Herbaholic
    Herbaholic Posts: 304
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not tried this as i dont have any black treacle, but i keep meaning to buy some to try it out:D

Yummmmm! I have everything in to make this and the ovens on with choc n orange muffins, shame to let it cool down lol So I'm going to have a go at making this thanks G&B I love gingery things almost as much as cinnamon things, when you put the two together yum, yum, yum :D
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Herbaholic wrote: »
    Yummmmm! I have everything in to make this and the ovens on with choc n orange muffins, shame to let it cool down lol So I'm going to have a go at making this thanks G&B I love gingery things almost as much as cinnamon things, when you put the two together yum, yum, yum :D

Let me know how it turns out, i saved the recipes ages ago meaning to try it out and havent got round to it yet! I love cinnamon too, when i made the iced buns i did half the batch with cinnamon icing:D
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    I managed to get into town yesterday and had lunch with my friend who insisted on paying. (My turn next time). I went into Mr S and bought a few bits for tea so my total spend so far this month is £85.58p leaving me with £114.42p but I have visitors Sun - Tues so will have to shop for bits for them. Luckily the freezer has plenty of meat and I have ingredients for puddings etc but I will need cheese/fruit/veg and to stock up on any bargains etc so there won't be any money left at the end of the month. Never mind as long as the freezer/cupboards contents stay at about the same level I will be pleased. NSD today though.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • Herbaholic
    Herbaholic Posts: 304
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Let me know how it turns out, i saved the recipes ages ago meaning to try it out and havent got round to it yet! I love cinnamon too, when i made the iced buns i did half the batch with cinnamon icing:D

Oh noooo yum yum yum! Will let you know how the iced ginger cake comes out, I'm with Bigbird, my diet has gone to pot, I can hear my waistline expanding just reading the recipes :o Now I'm wondering how the iced buns would be with some chopped apple and sultanas adding to the bread mix with the cinnamon icing on top!!!
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Well the freezer and fridge need defrosting so started with the fridge, and will run down freezer stock:j another NSD and in budget, going great guns as I have to use whats in stock .
    Lunch was mince and peas from freezer,1/2 a can of toms lurking at the back of cupboard, 1/2 onion hiding at the back of fridge left over carrots/swede from last night+ veg stock and seanoning, called it mince ratatooui (wish I could spell) and shop bought yogurts, just need to start making my own:rotfl: :rotfl:
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure