July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Goodafternoon everyone, cooking dinner yeaterday did'nt go to plan as what i was planning which was chicken curry. I end up smashing a glass casserole dish lid all over my hob which in turn glass pieces got in to the rice and curry, so had to throw it out and grab something out of the freezer instead.
    Made some dough up to make icebuns , hubby has just finished making choc chip flapjacks and some millie's cookies they are lovely.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    9oz plain flour
    1½ tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp bicarb soda
    ½ tsp salt
    1 tsp each ground ginger & cinnamon
    1 egg
    5oz soft brown sugar ( I use whatever I've got)
    3 floz veg oil
    3 tbsp black treacle
    6 floz milk

Oven 200°C

Makes 12 largish

Mix all dry ingredients together in one bowl
    In another bowl mix all wet
    Pour wet into dry and mix until combined
    Will be runnier than a normal muffin batter
    Spoon into muffin tin
    Bake approx 20-25 mins until tops springy and firm

I also add in handful Cinnamon Chips

Lovely served warm with apple sauce and cream or icecream.

Also freeze well once cooled.

I also sometimes cook this as 2 x 1lb loaves which are great for cake stalls etc.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wow,
    Don't think I had better cook that one then or the maintainace D' plan will be out the window:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    HWGA
    It was the Weetabix Brownies not the cake(since got pregnant I seem to have lost my brain ). But I think i'll have to only make this one a month otherwise I'll put on toooo much weight :rotfl:

angelnikki would you put the same amount as the plain flour? only just started cooking since I joined GC.

When to asda only wanted a few bits tried to stick to list spent £30.09 then when I unpacked the bottled water i found 8 bottles in the cupboard where DH had unpacked the week before :mad: but at least it will keep.
    GC July £250/
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Goodafternoon everyone, cooking dinner yeaterday did'nt go to plan as what i was planning which was chicken curry. I end up smashing a glass casserole dish lid all over my hob which in turn glass pieces got in to the rice and curry, so had to throw it out and grab something out of the freezer instead.
    Oh dear, that is terrible :eek: Hope no lasting damage was done.
    I think braking the dish into the meal is a valid excuse for having an alternative!
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Turbo yep thats right just replace with SR flour - If you're worried they're gonna rise up too much then just half the amount of baking powder. (shouldnt be a problem though as the recipe I use has 1tbsp baking powder)
    300g SR flour
    1Tbsp baking powder
    80 g sugar (any kind - depends on other ingredients)

2 large eggs
    220ml milk
    100g melted butter

Pour into 12 muffin cases and bake at gas 6 for 30 mins. Eat fresh or freeze - they don't keep nearly as well as other cakes.

Favourite flavours:
    2 bananas and 100g choc chips
    100g raspberries, 100g white choc chips
    200g blueberries, top with demerara
    2Tbsp instant decaf coffee, mixed with splash of boiling water, 200g rough chopped walnuts.

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    My condolances to MrsMc at this hard time.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • zekepes
    zekepes Posts: 121 Forumite
    I'm in my first month and I have started recording all my spending (non regular bills etc - DH does that) on ms money. What an eye opener!

I am thinking regarding of 'grocery' as simply food and soft drinks - as I can now separate it from alcohol, household cleaning, pet food and supplies, magazines and toiletries etc which have previously been lumped together in the supermarket spend (and cashback with DH then spend down the pub!).

28th July - 8th July:

Food : Groceries 169.48

I filled my new (small) chest freezer up so that will be a considerable part of it done for the month (at least).

It seems much more manageable to control this one (large!) part first!

Finally - I think I am getting a handle on my spending and household budgets!
  • Jazer
    Jazer Posts: 62 Forumite
    Hi

My first week on the Grocery Challenge has gone rather well!

This is entirely because I have been in bed with flu for over a week and we have been living out of the freezer

So my total spend so far has been £27.58

:j
  • hi Orkneystar could'nt risk giving as a dinner especially as the glass went everywhere. OH said he thinks the glass lid must have turn brittle. This happen on a day , when all over the news was all about throwing food away, but i did have a very good excuse lol.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    roxy7699 wrote: »
    NSD for me. Although I have earmarked 50p for DD's no uniform day on friday
    What our school has done the last few times they have had a non-uniform day have had the kids "pay" with items for the tombola stall, then it is a win win situation, parents don't get asked on all sides for money and donations and also the tombola stall gets items.

The next non-uniform day is Tuesaday and this time it is a childrens craft paymetn ready for teh summer fayre the following weekend.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure