June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Have just portioned up the chicken and celery soup,iced the lemon drizzle buns with lemon curd butter icing which gave a very good result.

Taken bacon out for bacon sandwiches for dd9 and ds4 breakfast.

Have got 3 large potatoes for jackets tomorrow.
    Washed 4 jam jars out for whatever I'm going to make,preserve or pickle.I haven't decided yet.

Saw a great sandwich on uktv food tonight that I'm going to try when friends come over next month.

Large foccacia sliced in two or large bap or burger buns - be versatile!!
    Drizzle with olive oil and chili oil if liked
    Layer with mozzerella,basil,spring onion,tomatoes (sundried)
    Pop in oven on low for 10-15 mins ,cut into 4
    Serve with salad

Looked fabulous and can be made in advance and covered until needed.

annelouise :rotfl:
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • brummiebabe
    brummiebabe Posts: 1,894 Forumite
    Typical isn't it....booked Mr T delivery for today between 6pm - 8pm. However, had to pop and get salad bits to have with dinner, as delivery wasn't supposed to arrive til later. Got back from shops - there's the tesco van - I was his final delivery, so he turned up early 'on the off chance I'd be in!':rotfl: Meant that I spent over budget and now have too much salad etc!!

Never mind - am quite pleased with this month's challenge really. Am only overspent by £12.33 and my budget was £40 less than usual!! Shouldn't need to get anything else (my challenge finishes on payday - 25th June) so feel I've done well!

Will be back in again next month...it's a 5 week month for me:eek:
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
  • Anita, I know you have already had an answer on the buttercream for butterfly cakes and have already made your first batch. But, I thought I would suggest adding 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence to the butter cream.

Also, putting a small dollop of jam in the bottom before the buttercream, once the wings are in place I also dust with icing sugar from a small tea strainer - makes them very special - unfortunately I now have to cook double batches as they are eaten too quickly - not very mse over all - but very yummy.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • mummygems
    mummygems Posts: 359
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    annelouise wrote: »
    mummygems

My paella is as follows - child and seafood phobic friendly.....

I use precooked chicken from our roast - usually scraps and 1 whole breast chopped roughly.
    2 sauted onions
    Bacon/Lardons/Chorizo/Spicy Sausage ( Whatever you have lurking )
    Red pepper sauted
    Garlic cloves or lazy garlic
    Any rice even a packet of store own savoury rice - usually chicken or I cook off rice with a chicken stock cube until almost cooked
    Paprika to taste
    Salt and Pepper
    1/4 pint chicken stock
    Dash white wine
    For adults if not SFP (Seafood phobic) Handful of prawns

1.Cook onions and bacon then add pepper about 6-8 mins,stirring occasionally.
    2.Add garlic & paprika -stir.
    3.Cook rice separately as instructions adding a chicken stock cube,when cooked add to pan and stir until well coated.
    4.Season well.
    5.In a large pan add stock and wine,chicken,veg and rice stir until heated through and most of liquid has been absorbed.At this point add the prawns as they only take 3 - 4 mins to turn pink and its ready to serve.

Looks a faff but as rice is cooking everything else can be ready in 12mins.It is really good to add ay sad looking veg at bottom of fridge.I sometimes add grated courgette,grated carrots.

Thank you so much. I always thought it was "special" rice lol. I have already planned my food for the next 4 weeks but might have to change one of the meals and make this instead yummy.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
  • mummygems
    mummygems Posts: 359
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MrsM - as today is the start of my new month could you please put me down for £350. This is more than usual but I have 2 parties to cater for and as I keep going over thought I would up my initial amount.

Thank you.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
  • Evening All :wave:

Had a little spend of £4.84 in Aldi yesterday. I only bought what I needed :eek: which is a first for me. Will need milk, yogs, f&v early next week.

I must not to go over budget

:D
  • Anitaj73
    Anitaj73 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Anita, I know you have already had an answer on the buttercream for butterfly cakes and have already made your first batch. But, I thought I would suggest adding 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence to the butter cream.

Also, putting a small dollop of jam in the bottom before the buttercream, once the wings are in place I also dust with icing sugar from a small tea strainer - makes them very special - unfortunately I now have to cook double batches as they are eaten too quickly - not very mse over all - but very yummy.

FFM :)

Yes thats a good idea, i did think it was a bit bland when i sneaked one ;) I will try that and the jam i think as all my lot eat jam like its going out of fashion :eek: they'll love that.

Girl least likely to read your sig for your GC and i see you have been bringing down £10 each month, i think that is a great idea and more achievable i will try that for the july challenge....thank you :T

I must go to bed now (yawn) got lots of visitors tomorrow so must not fall asleep in the chair in the afternoon ;)

Gdnite all.....see you tomorrow :beer:
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog :)
  • Anitaj73 wrote: »
    Girl least likely to read your sig for your GC and i see you have been bringing down £10 each month, i think that is a great idea and more achievable i will try that for the july challenge....thank you :T

Yes, it's worked quite well for me so far. I never could have dramatically reduced my budget all in one go. Never been one to jump in at the deep end, more of a dipping my toes in first to see what the water's like kinda girl ;) . Good luck Anita :)
  • LearningTo Save - This is the broad bean burger recipe. I use the older broad beans from the allotment but frozen would do just a well. I got the recipe from a weekend supplement and it sounds quite fussy but is infact very easy. The burgers stick together really well. i have frozen some unfloured. They look OK but have not tried them yet.

Broad Bean Burgers
    1/2 teaspoon each whole cumin, coriander and fennel seeds. (i think you cound substitute ground spices for this)
    25g chard
    4 Tablespoons of olive oil or a mixture of olive and other
    350g potatoes
    305g shelled broad beans
    1/2 teaspoon chopped chilli or a pinch of powder
    2 crushed garlic cloves
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    3 tablespoons fresh corriander chopped (I didn't have this so left it out)
    40g breadcrumbs
    1 egg
    50g plain flour

Dry roast the whole seeds and then grind
    wilt the chard in a tablespoon of the oil abd then chop
    boil the potatoes in salted water for five mins then add the broad beans and cook for another 8 mins or until done.
    drain and add the ground spices, chilli, garlic, termeric, 2 tablespoons of the oil and pepper.
    Mash roughly then add chard, coriander, breadcrumbs and egg and stir together.
    Shape into fat burgers - wet hands first
    Coat with flour and chill for half an hour if you have time!
    Fry in oil (not olive) for about five mins on each side until golden brown

Serve with sour cream or yog or just in a bun with some salad

As I say sounds complicated but not really once you start. I am not very good at exact measures and they still worked well.
    My OH cannot eat gluten so I used GF flour and his special bread and they still worked well.
    Good luck
    Challenge 2 adults food and household.
    2009 £1214.37
    Target for 2010 £1250
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mornin all :wave:

had a good one at Mr T's last night....i had £22 worth of coupons so i decided to stock up on dog food, and i got enough for a month (fingers x'd!) and it only cost me £1.82 :j whenever i use that many coupons i always try to get out of the shop really quickly in case someone shouts me back saying they've made a mistake and shouldn't have taken all me coupons in one go!! :rotfl:

the weather looks like it doesn't know what to do with itself today...its really sunny out there, but then a couple of mins ago the heavens opened for about 5mins with a torrential downpour, so don't think i dare risk putting the washing out today!!

am gonna go and get the h/work done in a mo, cos i want to get to Mr M's early so i can see if they've got any decent whoopsies...haven't had any for a while, so wish me luck :D

then i'll be back home to bake a b'day cake for DS...he's 15 today :eek: god that makes me feel old!!!!

hope everyone has a good day and (((hugs))) to those that would like one xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport