MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you report him to the police?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you report him to the police?

One of your friends is having a hard time; his business is on the brink and his wife’s pregnant. With the current cost of fuel, he can’t afford to pay for it, and admits to you in confidence that he’s had to do a runner without paying.!Would you report him to the police?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
Should retired parents pay off their daughter's debts?
Should little sis get a holiday too?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• whoosh
    whoosh Posts: 30 Forumite
    No I wouldn't report him. What would that achieve? A court case, a fine, more stress for his wife, the end of his job quite possibly, and a criminal record. I wouldn't condone what he did, and neither would I trivialise theft from a large company; but if as his friend I wanted to drive the point home, I would encourage him to take a good look at himself. If this is truly out of character then he clearly needs some sort of help, of the type that shopping him to the law would never provide. And in this case I doubt the punishment would fit the crime. What sort of friend would really do that for a relatively minor offence?
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    I wouldn't pat him on the back...but I wouldn't report him.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Whilst two wrongs don't make a right, the petrol retailers are greedy and sneakily raise the price EVERY DAY

End of the line petrol retailers only make a few pence per litre sold. A drive off can have a big impact on their profits.
  • Shytalker
    Shytalker Posts: 32 Forumite
    As he's a mate, I wouldn't report him but that would be the only reason not to. I would make my dislike of it very plain.

If he hadn't been a mate I probably would do. There is far too much dishonesty about, as exemplified by politician expenses fiddles, and it is time for the great British public to be more public-spirited. I don't like dishonesty and that is why I will never be rich.
  • babyharry5
    babyharry5 Posts: 258 Forumite
    like other money savers I dont condone what he did but I certainly wouldnt report him either - with everything that is going on in the world - especially all these kids killing each other with knives this matter pales in comparison.
    I would resolve to perhaps try & help them in other ways by getting practical advice & possible solutions.
    Reporting him wouildnt help anyone IMO
  • dannynixon
    dannynixon Posts: 418 Forumite
    I would not report him, what would it achieve? He is already up against it and if I ever did this (which I dont think I would have the bottle to do) I would expect him to keep quiet because he is a friend
    LBM - 30/07/09
    Started DMP in Oct 2009, went wrong. Due to start new DMP in March/April 2013. Bring it on!
    :beer:
  • whitecat
    whitecat Posts: 23
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No way would I report him in fact I would thoroughly encourage it and congratulate him on having the balls to do it in the first place. How much profit did BP make this year from its customers (this year £3.5 Billion). Its an absolute joke. We are being charged absolutely outrageous amounts for a natural product and they are harvesting the profits. I think we should all help ourselves :T :j :rotfl: :T
  • macaroni
    macaroni Posts: 447
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I wouldnt report him, purely because I would hope that the petrol retailer would have his numberplate on camera and would get the police onto him themselves !

Anyone stupid enough to do this in their own car, registered to them, deserves to be caught !!
    :hello:
  • willow81
    willow81 Posts: 72 Forumite
    No, I wouldn't report him. I would steer him in the direction of this site and give him all the best advice I could. I'm pretty sure the police have more important things to deal with anyway......
    (waiting for the flak ....:o )
  • going2die_rich
    going2die_rich Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    whitecat wrote: »
    No way would I report him in fact I would thoroughly encourage it and congratulate him on having the balls to do it in the first place. How much profit did BP make this year from its customers (this year £3.5 Billion). Its an absolute joke. We are being charged absolutely outrageous amounts for a natural product and they are harvesting the profits. I think we should all help ourselves :T :j :rotfl: :T

You do realise only 10-15% of that profit tends to be from the UK dont you?

China has around a $20 billion dollar surplus each month, does that mean it's okay to be stealing plasma tv's?

Sorry to say, but it might be a "natural product", but it's not our product, it's owned by other countries so you need to pay them for it. We live in a capitalist society, so you just have to learn to live with prices increasing. The UK can't have it both ways, it was okay for capatalism when the UK was manufacturing products and making huge profits, but now it's other nations we don't like it anymore. We just best hope we don't lose our financial businesses to Dubai as then we really would be left with nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure