Doctors Surgeries told to stop using 0844 Numbers.

Options

Comments

• BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    I trust you have added Music On Hold. Xmassy of course.

Just looked, they must have done it because I cant remember doing it.

I think it's quite good, if my landline is busy it switches to my VOIP.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, 0844 is the new 0870?
    Happy chappy
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    So, 0844 is the new 0870?
    No, you'll find far more companies changing to 0871 numbers (up to 10p/minute to call from a BT landline).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We won the battle with our surgery, which was about to install an 0844 system, with the help of some local politicians and the PCT, and they now going to be using the new 03 numbers. Other local surgeries using 0844 numbers are being told by our PCT that they must stop using them when their existing contracts expire. So a real victory there! :T

However take a look at today’s article in the Mail: Patient left with £127 phone bill after hanging on the line for 49 minutes trying to make an appointment

Ofcom should ban BT and other companies from using the term “lo-call”, as people mistakenly think it is the same thing as “local” and it certainly isn’t!!!
  • Heinz
    Options
    Jammy1 wrote: »
    We won the battle with our surgery, which was about to install an 0844 system, with the help of some local politicians and the PCT, and they now going to be using the new 03 numbers.
    Thanks for that information.

Do they have a website? It'd be very handy for the campaign being waged on SayNoTo0870.com.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Jammy1 wrote: »
    We won the battle with our surgery, which was about to install an 0844 system, with the help of some local politicians and the PCT, and they now going to be using the new 03 numbers. Other local surgeries using 0844 numbers are being told by our PCT that they must stop using them when their existing contracts expire. So a real victory there! :T

However take a look at today’s article in the Mail: Patient left with £127 phone bill after hanging on the line for 49 minutes trying to make an appointment

Ofcom should ban BT and other companies from using the term “lo-call”, as people mistakenly think it is the same thing as “local” and it certainly isn’t!!!

What is the charge to ring an 03 number compared to I presume the 5p per minute of the 0844 number? Also does the recipient of the call,eg the doctor, receive a cut of the call charges like 0844?
  • Heinz
    Options
    What is the charge to ring an 03 number compared to I presume the 5p per minute of the 0844 number? Also does the recipient of the call,eg the doctor, receive a cut of the call charges like 0844?
    The 0844 numbers chosen by NEG (the primary 'culprit' in this patient rip-off) are always 6p connection + 5p per minute ones (so the largest amount of what the caller has to pay is available for distribution).

03 calls cost the same as 01 and 02 calls so, from a BT landline on a weekday they cost:

(1). 5p per call (of unlimited duration) if you use 1899, 18185 or 18866;
    (2). Nothing if you have an 'Anytime/Inclusive' package;
    (3). 6p connection + 4p per minute if you have BT's Unlimited Weekend or Unlimited Evenings & Weekends Plan (formerly BT Together Option 1 / BT Together Option 2).

On of the more important aspects is the cost of calling 0844 numbers from mobiles - which can be up to 40p per minute I am told - whereas calling 03 numbers costs the same as 01 & 02 numbers (and comes out of inclusive minutes for those with that sort of contract)..
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    The prime minister's response to the e-petition can be read online.

http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page15215.asp
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    The 0844 numbers chosen by NEG (the primary 'culprit' in this patient rip-off) are always 6p connection + 5p per minute ones (so the largest amount of what the caller has to pay is available for distribution).

03 calls cost the same as 01 and 02 calls so, from a BT landline on a weekday they cost:

(1). 5p per call (of unlimited duration) if you use 1899, 18185 or 18866;
    (2). Nothing if you have an 'Anytime/Inclusive' package;
    (3). 6p connection + 4p per minute if you have BT's Unlimited Weekend or Unlimited Evenings & Weekends Plan (formerly BT Together Option 1 / BT Together Option 2).

On of the more important aspects is the cost of calling 0844 numbers from mobiles - which can be up to 40p per minute I am told - whereas calling 03 numbers costs the same as 01 & 02 numbers (and comes out of inclusive minutes for those with that sort of contract)..

Heinz,

You should include mobiles in that list, 01, 02 and 03 can also be free with inclusive minutes but 0844/5 will be very costly.
  • Heinz
    Options
    BritBrat wrote: »
    You should include mobiles in that list, 01, 02 and 03 can also be free with inclusive minutes but 0844/5 will be very costly.
    Isn't that what the last paragraph of my post says?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure