We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ISA FAQ

Options
FAQ updated below.

Comments

• isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How many ISAs can I open?

You can open and save in 1 Mini Cash ISA and 1 Mini Stocks & Shares ISA per year. Alternatively you can save in 1 Maxi ISA per year. You CANNOT save in both a Mini and Maxi ISA in the same year.
  • isasmurf
    Options
    Can I open a Cash and Stocks & Shares ISA?
    Yes. You can open 1 Mini Cash ISA and 1 Mini Stocks & Shares ISA per year. You can open 1 Maxi ISA, which can contain both a Cash and Stocks & Shares component per year. You CANNOT save in both a Mini and Maxi ISA in the same year.
  • isasmurf
    Options
    Can I open an ISA for my child?
    No. You have to be 16 to open a Cash ISA, and 18 to invest in Stocks & Shares. You cannot open an ISA on behalf of anyone else.
  • isasmurf
    Options
    How much can I save in an ISA?

There are no upper limits to how much you can hold in an ISA. There are limits on how much you can deposit into an ISA in each tax year. These are:
    £3,000 in a Mini Cash ISA and
    £4,000 in a Stocks & Shares ISA

or

£7,000 in a Maxi ISA, of which no more than £3,000 can be in the Cash component.
  • isasmurf
    Options
    What's the difference between Mini and Maxi ISAs?
    There are two parts, or components, to an ISA - cash and stocks & shares. The main difference between Mini and Maxi ISA is that these components are held separately in Mini ISAs, whereas they are contained within the same account in a Maxi ISA.

These means that with a Maxi ISA both components have to be held with the same ISA manager, whereas with Mini ISAs you can hold cash ISA with one manager and your stocks & shares ISA somewhere else.

It also impacts on the amount you can save. In both a Mini and Maxi you can save no more than £3,000 in cash, but for stocks & shares you are limited to £4,000 in a Mini S&S ISA and up to £7,000 in a Maxi ISA.
  • isasmurf
    Options
    I heard the ISA limits are going down in 2006. Is this true?
    No. The original limits, which were only intended to be run for the first year of ISAs, will now continue until at least 2009-2010.

Confirmation is in the HMRC Bulletin to ISA managers.
  • isasmurf
    Options
    Does the interest affect how much I can save?
    No. The limits are how much money you put into the account. Interest amounts do not count towards this limit.
  • isasmurf
    Options
    Can I transfer my ISA to a better provider?

Yes.

General rule and charges
    You are entitled to transfer your ISA at any time to another provider. Your ISA provider may charge a fee, or deduct x days of interest. If your ISA is a CAT standard (to 5 April 2005), or a Stakeholder ISA (from 6 April 2005) you will not be charged a fee to transfer you ISA.

IMPORTANT
    To avoid losing some or all of your tax relief, if you want to transfer your ISA you must get your new and old ISA providers to do this for you. Ask your new ISA provider for a transfer form.

Transfering Current Years Subscriptions
    If you want to transfer savings you have made during the current tax year, they must be transferred in full. If you transfer this years savings but have not subscribed your full allowance, you can top-up your ISA with your new provider. Transfers do not count as subscriptions.
    You must transfer like for like. That is you must transfer a Maxi to another Maxi, or a Mini Cash to another Mini Cash.

Transferring previous years subscriptions
    If you want to transfer previous years ISA savings you can transfer part or all of this. You can transfer the funds to different providers if you so wish.
    The Mini/Maxi tags are no longer valid in the year after the savings were originally made. This means you can move a Maxi to a Mini or vice versa. However, funds cannot be transferred between types of funds, i.e. Cash must remain as Cash and Stocks & Shares must remain as Stocks & Shares.
    TOISAs become Cash ISAs and can be transferred to any Cash ISA.
  • isasmurf
    Options
    What's the best Cash ISA?
    These can change all the time. Please see Martin's article on ISA Best buys
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing