🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Pay as you go credit cards

Options
Does anyone have any good advice or experience about pay as you go credit cards for people who need the convienience of a cc but can't get credit?

I have searched the site but can't find anything, it would be good to see Martin Lewis do an article on them.

Comments

• King_Of_Fools
    Options
    My advice is do not use them they ar a rip-off!

Seriously, they give you no benfits over a debit card but cost a lot more to use!
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Gingertom_2
    Options
    I use a Pre Paid Card and it great. I download £100 on to it from the PostOffice as needed ...cost only 70p. I use it for all internet purchases (no charge) ie Amazon...EBay...Price Drop TV etc. The most fraud I can ever be taken for is whats left of my £100...I can never knowlinly overspend. If I use my MBNA Credit Card for example and it get "Compromised" in any way I can get "taken" for a lot of money as my limit is £16,000
  • King_Of_Fools
    Options
    Gingertom wrote:
    I use a Pre Paid Card and it great. I download £100 on to it from the PostOffice as needed ...cost only 70p. I use it for all internet purchases (no charge) ie Amazon...EBay...Price Drop TV etc. The most fraud I can ever be taken for is whats left of my £100...I can never knowlinly overspend. If I use my MBNA Credit Card for example and it get "Compromised" in any way I can get "taken" for a lot of money as my limit is £16,000
    Yes, but you would not be liable for any fraud so it would not be your problem!
  • tazzababe
    Options
    I personally wouldn't get one. Here is the link that will take you to Working Lunch- a great money programme. It gives an overview of the card and you are able to watch the actual programme clip which may be helpful.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I would object to being charged for the priviledge of using my money - no matter how small the charge. I don't use ATMs which charge for the same reason.
  • Zebedee69
    Zebedee69 Posts: 1,034 Forumite
    Options
    Why dont you use a debit card??????

If you have a Visa Electron (Not Accepted Everywhere Online) then ask for a Visa Card Instead. Thats what I did, cant see the point of paying to use your own card...???
  • TenaciousP_3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback.
  • tom188
    tom188 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    Zebedee69 wrote:
    Why dont you use a debit card??????

If you have a Visa Electron (Not Accepted Everywhere Online) then ask for a Visa Card Instead. Thats what I did, cant see the point of paying to use your own card...???

Not everyone can get one of these, particularly those with a poor credit history or with basic bank accounts.
  • gingercordial
    Options
    Some websites don't accept debit cards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business