🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

about to get a 0845 number!

Options
durain
durain Posts: 298 Forumite
i am about to get a 0845 number and divert it to my landline. this is for business. i looked into https://www.call08.com and when i added a number i want and when to the checkout, i need to fillin a direct debit. if the number is completely free, who do i need to fill in a direct debit form?

i had a looked at https://www.instant-nts.com too which has more info about their service. maybe it is worth paying the one-off fees?

Comments

• pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    durain wrote:
    i am about to get a 0845 number and divert it to my landline. this is for business. i looked into https://www.call08.com and when i added a number i want and when to the checkout, i need to fillin a direct debit. if the number is completely free, who do i need to fill in a direct debit form

I use call08 for a personal 0871 no to give out to people i dont want ringing me,they dont collect any money from the D/D,i guess they ask for it in case you start using one of there paid for services.Ring them on monday and discuss, they are helpful, and might dispense with it in your case.

Call08 free service is only basic where as instant-nts appears to include stats,and advanced services in the £10 offer so you might consider that to be better for you.

Given the strong objections by the public to calling ngn(why should they pay extra to phone companies) see https://www.saynoto0870.com what are your reasons for using one.
    PF.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    durain wrote:
    i am about to get a 0845 number and divert it to my landline. this is for business.
    I don't know your business or, to my knowledge, have I ever conducted business with you.

Thank you for deciding for me whether I will or not in the future.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    I don't know your business or, to my knowledge, have I ever conducted business with you.

Thank you for deciding for me whether I will or not in the future.
    I second that. This forum and saynoto0870 is about saving money and NGN (non geographical numbers) cost us extra money that most of the time there is no need to use these 08x numbers except to scam us into paying additional call costs above and beyond that of ringing a geographical number.
  • durain
    durain Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    the only reason for the 0845 number is to divert it to my home number as the business is part-time. i know the 0845 is not ideal coz even myself would prefer to fone a normal landline. i have considered all options including getting a second BT line, etc but they are all too expensive.

p/s funny SAYNOTO0870.COM website is full of google advert for getting NGN!
  • pinkonion
    pinkonion Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    durain wrote:
    i know the 0845 is not ideal coz even myself would prefer to fone a normal landline. ..
    You shall then add your home number as an alternative on Say no to 0870? :rotfl:
  • bbb_uk
    Options
    durain wrote:
    ...p/s funny SAYNOTO0870.COM website is full of google advert for getting NGN!
    The reason for this is to help reduce the costs associated with running the website. MSE Martin kindly sponsors SayNoTo0870 but unfortunately due to increase in traffic (visitors to the site), running costs increased with regards to the increased bandwidth costs. Therefore, SayNoTo0870 uses Googles AdSense to help reduce this cost. Unfortunately though Google AdSense works by delivering ads based on what is on the website and as the website is based around the 0845 and 0870 numbers it therefore delivers adverts of companies promoting 0845/0870 numbers. At this moment in time, Google are unable to block specific ads as its all automatic.

Daniel (SayNoTo0870) owner has posted a response to this here.

PS: As mentioned by pinkonion, will you be adding your geo number for your business number to the SayNoTo0870 database? That way, people can still ring you on your geographical but outside of your office hours should they need to contact you then we would need to ring your 0845 number and this would obviously be forwarded to your home's landline number.
  • dag_2
    dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with durain - let's not slate people just because they might want to get an 0845 number. Sure, we all know consumers don't like 0845 numbers - but I guess durain is big enough to decide for himself whether he wants to run that risk.

The way I see it, however, is that durain simply wants another phone number, separate to his main phone number, which rings during the day but not during the night. Durain doesn't really care whether it's an 0845 or geographic. So how could he get a geographic number to do what he wants?

The most obvious solution to this is to install another phone line. You can then connect and disconnect phones from your new line whenever you please, without affecting the line you already have. Snag is - that'll cost you some £10.50 a month.

Another way might be BT's call sign - which gives you an extra phone number. But you might need some clever gadgetry at home to screen out calls depending on sign and time of day.

Alternatively, you could get a geographic number from someone else that forwards to your existing number, depending on time of day. I don't know how much these cost or who provides them, but I'm sure they exist.

Or you could get a Sipgate number. Totally free, totally geographic - however, you need an active broadband connection available whenever you want to take calls - but if you don't want to take calls, it's easy to turn the thing off. You'd probably want to get a router if you don't have one already.

Just some ideas; they all have their pros and cons.
    :p
  • bbb_uk
    Options
    dag wrote:
    I agree with durain - let's not slate people just because they might want to get an 0845 number. Sure, we all know consumers don't like 0845 numbers - but I guess durain is big enough to decide for himself whether he wants to run that risk.
    I understand the reason behind the 0845 request and thinking ahead he will need to advertsise the cost of this call as "calls cost upto 4ppm from a BT Landline" as OfCOM are over next few months changing the descriptions and no longer will people be able to use 'local rate' or remain silent on call costs. He could give out both his/her business geographical number and the 0845 for any calls outside of his/her office hours. That way his/her customers choose what number to ring. If no answer on the business geographical then the customer has a choice of paying the additional costs associated with 0845 number.

One note though. Most of these telecom companies when they are diverting calls from 0845 to a geographical withhold the number so it wouldn't be possible to 'screen' people ringing. Some companies though offer the facility that the 0845 shows up on the destination geographical (his/her house landline) which would indicate if the call was business or personal. This facility is probably subject to an additional monthly fee.
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    durain wrote:
    the only reason for the 0845 number is to divert it to my home number as the business is part-time. i know the 0845 is not ideal coz even myself would prefer to fone a normal landline. i have considered all options including getting a second BT line, etc but they are all too expensive.

Durain correct me if i am wrong you have only got one line here have you not,and you do not want to get a second line because of the cost,so you are considering using an 0845 NGN.This does not give you a second line.The 0845 no will merely piggy back on to your existing number.You dont recieve a different ring tone for calls made to it.If this is the case you might as well use the existing no,or if a second number is important to you with the ability to distinguish between calls get BT Callsign.

However if you have two lines one Business one Residential,you can use the BT Divert Facility.If you want to have 0845 in such a case ,you would need advanced 0845 to enable you to switch a call as and when required.This is normally chargeable.On basic you can charge the terminating number occassionaly like if you move,but you rely on the service provider to do it,so its not very flexible.
    PF.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family