PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February Update: What are you growing in 2006

Options
Here is the monthly thread to carry on from Cally's original one titled "What are you growing in 2006?'

Some of us thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread every month where we could swap ideas and let others know what we are growing in our gardens, patio pots, kitchen windowsills or wherever, on a month-by-month basis.

Personally I'm a novice to gardening and have a very small garden, but I'm going to start sowing seeds in little propagators on the windowsill later this month and hope to have a few veggies and herbs in pots in the garden later this year.

According to my seed packets then first up will be chilli pepper and tomato plant seeds at the end of the month.

I've also got some early charlotte potatoes that I've already put out in egg boxes on the windowsill to start sprouting.

Do any of the gardening experts on the site have other ideas?

Annie

Comments

• GreenFingers_2
    Options
    Hello Annie-c

Great idea for a thread/post.... :D

My seed order arrived a few days ago – Yay… lol. How wonderful…. :p It’s still a bit early in the month for me to plant anything though but will start some initial ½ size seed trays and small pots of things about the third or fourth week of the month. I usually start things off on the kitchen windowsill for a couple of weeks or so before putting them out in the greenhouse. At the moment I’m trying to get the renovation of the veggie patch done but it’s been so cold out there recently – no rush though at the moment.

My first sowings of veggies will be :-

Cabbage – Excel
    These can be used as Spring Greens which I really like (just keep cutting off what you need) or left to grow as small-hearted pointed cabbages so very good for small families or if you don’t want to grow huge, fully hearted cabbages

Onion (Red Baron)
    Just a nice red onion.

Cucumber (Superbel)
    These will have to stay on the windowsill until the end of March, as they need lots of warmth but should have fresh cucumber by July

Sprouts (Maximus)
    I’ll start off just a few seeds in a small pot with the aim of getting three good plants to plant out. Another sowing will be made about April/May so there will be fresh sprouts over next winter.

Jalapeno Peppers
    My first attempt at these. I’m going to grow some for putting on Pizzas and for pickling. They will have to stay on the windowsill for a few weeks before being transplanted into bigger pots in the greenhouse.

The majority of my seed planting for all the other things will be done during March and April.
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't know yet :( I haven't been able to leave the house and see what they have in Wilko's. Definitely First earlies as I bought some Charlottes from B & Q the other day. Am going to try onions again and I have to dig about in the shed to see what I have leftover from last year :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    At the moment I've just got a selection of seeds for various herbs and veggies but not sure what, or when, I should start sowing first as I'm going to have to do them indoors in pots and trays for now until I get round to sorting out a greenhouse.

What I really could do with are some tips on preparing the groundwork as the plot I intend to use appears to have been left fallow for probably a couple of years now so grass and weeds are starting to come through on it. I might start with just one small section of it at first, unless I can persuade the boys to get out there and dig it all over for me ;) ... and no doubt will need to dig in some manure or something before I can even think of planting anything out there. Can't you just tell I'm new to all this :rotfl:

I remember my parents growing veggies but never took any notice of what actually went into it :o
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Sowing this month

Broad Beans - The Sutton
    Climbing French Bean - Blue Lake
    Tomatoes - Costoluto Fiorentina, Auntie Madge's,
    Carrots - Nantes 2 (will grow in big pots in unheated GH)
    Swiss Chard - Swiss Bietola a Costa Bianca (but still cropping last year's!!)
    Pepper - Corno Rosso

Potatoes - chitting Amandine (First Early) and waiting for maincrops (Rooster & Dunbar Standard) to be delivered.

Much more planned for next month - but I might put down a cloche or two to get ahead.

Still cropping Swiss Chard and Cavolo Nero (both been brilliant throughout the winter) and Purple Sprouting Broccoli to look forward to :j Still using stored potatoes (Desiree), garlic, shallots & onions :j
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • wishingonastar_3
    Options
    only cress, but i love it in egg mayo. so got 4 marg tubs its growning in.
    £2 saver club 30th sept 198 £2 coins = £396(£350 banked)
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    What I really could do with are some tips on preparing the groundwork as the plot I intend to use appears to have been left fallow for probably a couple of years now so grass and weeds are starting to come through on it. I might start with just one small section of it at first, unless I can persuade the boys to get out there and dig it all over for me ;) ... and no doubt will need to dig in some manure or something before I can even think of planting anything out there.

Try and get it all weeded and then, if at all possible, dug over. Don't worry about getting it perfect, just push a spade in and turn it over. Leave the big lumps as they are and cover the whole lot with manure. If you can get to a local farmyard, preferably one with cattle, you should be able to fill some old compost bags with well rotted manure - but ask! :) You need the stuff that looks like solid black soil - it's usually at the bottom of the heap :(

Leave it all for a good month (ideally you would have done this in November) and pray for a couple of sharp frosts. This will break down the lumps. If we don't get frost, you'll need to do some more digging with a fork to break up the lumps and work the manure in.

You won't be able to start much in the plot before April, but you could still sow stuff (that you would have sown direct in the ground) into pots in an unheated greenhouse, then transfer them outside when the ground is worked.

What do you plan to grow, as some veg won't like newly manured ground (though I have to admit, I've never found it to be that much of a problem).

Oh - and get a compost bin started so that you'll have something to work into the soil next year.

You'll be fine - we'll hold your hand :j
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options
    Greenfingers.....If you can plant your jalepeno's in a grow bag you will be amazed at the crop you will get. I have done pots a few years running, but the last two years they have gone into growbags (six or eight plants to the bag) I have had a massive crop both times. I think it's that they have more room for roots, and they keep wetter too.

Regards

Kate
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Waht's the opposite of being green fingered? Is it blue fingered? 'cos I am, whatever it is!:o I want to try & do some veggeis in containers this year but I have a north facing garden, no green house & a cool draughty house so I think it's way too early for me to start sowing anything for the kitchen window sill?:confused:
    I was thinking tomatoes, spring onions & what else might work? all suggestions & help appreciated!:o

Thanks, you are all :A
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have grown all types of peppers in our conservatory (its south facing and red hot in the summer) for the past 3 years ~ they grow really well I just don't have a clue what to do with all the peppers we harvest. We still have an icecream tub full from last year :o I'm not keen on hot food which doesn't help :rotfl:

I haven't planted anything so far but I usually grow lettuces, tomatoes, carrots, peppers and all the various herbs, parsley, thyme, lemon grass, mint, morrocan mint (its great as a summer drink), chives and masses of basil.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks DFC, that's really very helpful of you :A

I've got a selection of herbs which I think I might just grow in pots this year anyway until I plan the garden a bit more and decide where to place a herb bed. Will probably do a mixed bed of herbs and flowers or something.

This is the list of seeds I've so far managed to collect from various sources ...

6 varieties of tomato (including a trailing one to go in a hanging basket)
    mixed lettuce leaves
    rocket
    red salad onions
    courgettes
    cucumber
    leeks
    chilli peppers
    aubergines
    purple sprouting broccoli
    carrots

basil
    purple basil
    chives
    coriander
    parsley
    lovage
    garlic (bulbs)very
    nasturtiums (great in salads and my dragons love them too!)

I've already started saving all my scraps for composting and my ex-OH is looking out for some old pallets for me so I can build a compost heap. I won't be putting any cooked food in it so I don't need a sealed bin.

I think there's a cattle farm not too far away so will enquire about manure there, otherwise there's quite a few horsey people around so should be able to find somewhere to get it. I know when I had horses myself we used to welcome gardeners coming and helping themselves to it!

It's a pity I hadn't got the boys to dig it over a couple of weeks ago with the recent nights of frost we've had, but it seems to have warmed up a bit now. I'm sure there's more to come though so will set them onto it this weekend :D

Oh, forgot to mention that my back garden is north-west facing, but the bottom half where the veggies and greenhouse will be does get the sun most of the day as it's away from any buildings or tall hedges/trees etc. It's just up by the house that remains shady, although I'm hoping the summer sun might just reach it a little late in the evenings.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure