4x4 Vehicles - Should they be banned from Town/City Centres

Options

Comments

• Anastacia
    Anastacia Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    fattyrae1 wrote:
    I very much doubt that Mr Farmer would be driving around in a pristine 4x4. Most of the Mr Farmers i know drive mucky landrovers and Mrs Farmer doesn't look like a sloane ranger. :rotfl:

So we can have a 4 x 4 as long as its dirty ?

This is a strange thread.
    ....another happy bug.........sorry,blogger embracing the simple life
  • 110frankie
    110frankie Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    The seven week old Supercharged 4.6 litre Range Rover I drove from the Land Rover factory to the British Motor Heritage Museum this morning was a bit on the dusty side...
    yes, this thread has gone a bit weird hasn't it?
    The antis have mostly run away after their arguments have been shown up as drivel.
    So that's nice.
  • mdean
    mdean Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    er wake up and smell the coffee

Its a poll and 60% say ban em

landrover.jpg
  • 110frankie
    Options
    Voting is easy... the writers have lost it.
    And the car buying public are still buying more.
  • 110frankie
    Options
    coffee's a good idea 'though, thanks, I think I'll go and have a cup.
  • scatz
    scatz Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    It's a free world. I can't stand driving behind them myself but understand that alot of people buy them as safety for their family and there is nothing wrong it that. If I had the money to buy such a car/tank then I probably would.

:dance:
    Halifax Personal Loan £23,000 :think:
  • TBC
    TBC Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    What an absolute disgrace!! 81 people so far trying to tell people what to drive! What about banning milk floats and the such because they drive a lot slower than me?

Well just to confirm, I say let people drive what ever they want! It's their own money, they pay the road tax, they pay the fuel (even though a few are economical) they pay their repairs, insurance and all other costs associated.

My car a Legacy estate takes up pretty much the same amount (if not more) road space as most so called 4x4's (shoguns and the like)... it's a 4x4 so I assume on these counts alone it should be banned?
    Well it also does between 10 and 20mpg depending on how you drive it so theres a third reason.....

Why on earth should somebody tell me I can't drive it to a town centre or anywhere else for that matter? should it be resigned to off roading only? of course not it's an estate car, it IS a big, uneconomical, 4x4 estate car though.

In fact, I wonder if those 81 people don't actually enjoy driving, they only do it because they "need" to get from A - B, well don't let me hold you up.......
    Oh thats right I won't it's also one of the fastest family cars around which is another reason to ban it....

I realise that people arn't complaining about cars like mine but other than the height of the vehicle it suffers all the traits being complained about.

Get a life people!
  • 110frankie
    Options
    Actually I might have changed my mind. I went to a city the other day (in my 4x4 of course, it's the only car I own).
    Didn't like it - all those people living close to each other, cars, of every description, all over the place. People on the pavement walking slowly and bumping into other people.
    Ugh!
    Yeah ban vehicles like mine from cities - then I might not have to go to one again :-)
  • BertieMeldrew
    Options
    intel wrote:
    They should be banned full stop except for farmers.

And road Tax should be 400quid a year for all the road damage they cause.

Thanks (!)

I am not a farmer. I live 850 above sea level at the end of a one mile road that is "unsuitable for motor vehicles" - and half of which is an unadopted track that we have to maintain ourselves. The road from the village (3 miles away) is steep - 1 in 4 at the worse. In the winter we frequently get conditions that a non-4x4 just can't cope with. Equally, the track is pretty rough and at least one non-4x4 car that I had in my time here had the suspension ruined! Most of the track is unfenced and sheep and cattle roam the fells, and the track, at will. Whilst I felt they were justified I actually ditched the bull-bars!

There are several properties around this area that have similar problems. Most of the residents just wouldn't survive part of the year without a 4x4.

What you are saying then is that we should either (a) move or (b) stay indoors when the weather is bad or (c) become farmers

:rotfl:

AAMOI Intel, what sort of car do you drive?
  • steve!_10
    steve!_10 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    TBC wrote:
    My car a Legacy estate takes up pretty much the same amount (if not more) road space as most so called 4x4's (shoguns and the like)... it's a 4x4 so I assume on these counts alone it should be banned?
    Well it also does between 10 and 20mpg depending on how you drive it so theres a third reason.....

Why on earth should somebody tell me I can't drive it to a town centre or anywhere else for that matter? should it be resigned to off roading only? of course not it's an estate car, it IS a big, uneconomical, 4x4 estate car though.

In fact, I wonder if those 81 people don't actually enjoy driving, they only do it because they "need" to get from A - B, well don't let me hold you up.......
    Oh thats right I won't it's also one of the fastest family cars around which is another reason to ban it....

I realise that people arn't complaining about cars like mine but other than the height of the vehicle it suffers all the traits being complained about.

Get a life people!
    For the record I love driving.

My gripe is mainly the environmental impact. It seems one thing everyone agrees on is that we all have to drive, but why do you need a car that can polutes twice as much as some other cars? It exacerbates a problem we have already of polluted air, especially in cities.

With regards to towns, the fact I can't see over or around the bigger 4x4s is a nuisance, but a petty one at that. They can take up a lot of parking space though. I know they can fit between the lines in most multistoreys, but somehow I don't think those places were designed with those vehicles in mind. The height restrictions are put on carparks like that to keep vans out because they're too wide. About as wide as some 4x4s which now slip through the net. So a pain to everyone else, but still, as long as you're happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure